ODFL | Safety issues

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
Are there any safety issues O.D. needs to address at your home terminal ? On the dock,in the yard or shop,p/d or linehaul ?

The topic and vidio for March is,hooking up!Maybe April will be on hooking a set.They only hooked a truck to a pup in this vidio.I hope I don't need to hook a set before I see the next one.:hysterical:

The topic and vidio for March is,hooking up!Maybe April will be on hooking a set.They only hooked a truck to a pup in this vidio.I hope I don't need to hook a set before I see the next one.:hysterical:
MM maybe they have to wait until the safety department learns the proper procedure to hook a set. I'm sure your's is like ours. Their way is the only way. :1036316054:

Are there any safety issues O.D. needs to address at your home terminal ? On the dock,in the yard or shop,p/d or linehaul ?
Some terminals have very poor yard maintance,big pot holes that would tip a trailer or get stuck in.Trailers that haven't been pm and jiffs for the past 3 months.

Some yards need a traffic cop that can write speeding tickets. Some drivers and switchers are just a little out of control. I don't want to see anyone, especially me, get hurt or killed but I'm sure it will happen.

Some yards need a traffic cop that can write speeding tickets. Some drivers and switchers are just a little out of control. I don't want to see anyone, especially me, get hurt or killed but I'm sure it will happen.

the accident in rto last year prime example driver fliped rear trailor in the yard left skid marks about 20 to 30 feet police estimated he was driving 35 to 50 mph what a dum xxx:hysterical:

http://www.truckingboards.com/truck...er-dies-accident-st-louis-service-center.html

i found this on ups freight board a minute ago it could happen on one of our yards if something dosn't change
so sad every one say a prayer for drivers family and the yard jockey involed in this accident

You're right.I've noticed they'll put a young,impressionable man in a switcher,give him more to do than can be done and keep their foot in his arse all shift to hurry him up.If he isn't quick enough it's back on the dock and he knows it.His pay goes back down and it's back to the dirty part.Speed is what they want.On the dock,in the yard,on the road,just don't get caught because it will be all yours.After all they say safety first and they would never condone anything else as they try to pull their foot out of your arse without anybody seeing it.

the accident in rto last year prime example driver fliped rear trailor in the yard left skid marks about 20 to 30 feet police estimated he was driving 35 to 50 mph what a dum xxx:hysterical:

I was their when this happened early AM. He was going fast around the corner and flipped it.:poster_oops:

They've flipped them on other yards too. They had to lift a switcher off of the top of a jiff at a terminal, he drove right on top. They've had a switcher and tractor hit head on at a terminal. A couple of weeks ago they had a jiff come off a tractor and hit a building at a terminal. How many times have you been hooking a set and have someone back under the trailer next to you or behind you with the chance of crushing you between them? I've been scared before like that and said something to the other driver. It's the whole business and they all think that rushing is accomplishing something.
It's very dangerous and they will kill or severly injure someone, don't let it be you!

They've flipped them on other yards too. They had to lift a switcher off of the top of a jiff at a terminal, he drove right on top. They've had a switcher and tractor hit head on at a terminal. A couple of weeks ago they had a jiff come off a tractor and hit a building at a terminal. How many times have you been hooking a set and have someone back under the trailer next to you or behind you with the chance of crushing you between them? I've been scared before like that and said something to the other driver. It's the whole business and they all think that rushing is accomplishing something.
It's very dangerous and they will kill or severly injure someone, don't let it be you!

I know of several accidents of the same type,as long as it's been going on it'll never stop.Speed is built into the system and well maintained.From what I've seen and heard going on some of these yards is like going into a combat zone,especially at night.You're going to have to watch out for your own ***,cause nobody else is.

switcher almost hit a driver 2 weeks ago . in front of office.been told not to go through there with trs,now they have cones marking it off. how long will it last !!!

our night switcher took out a yellow pole protecting the fire hydrant,the fire hydrant itself and got stuck on the other yellow pole on the opposite side.they got the truck off using a bunch of high lows and now the front axle is bent.AND HE STILL HAS A JOB

switcher almost hit a driver 2 weeks ago . in front of office.been told not to go through there with trs,now they have cones marking it off. how long will it last !!!

It'll last till they can't find the last cone.

I think it was NHN, they put up the gate reader and posts to split the entrance/exit. I came back a week later and the posts were knocked down.

Yes

50 guys on tow motors with four inches of snow on the dock is not safe. Yet the supervisors and OM's complain that dock workers aren't being productive enough. Go faster, until there's an accident and the dock worker gets an IRF. Go figure.

Dock conditions

IMO, when dock conditions are so bad that it is nearly impossible to move, dock operations should be suspended. It is ridiculous to sit and watch 50 dock workers burning the sh1t out of the tires on forklifts trying to get out of trailers. The cost of lost productivity, accidents ( and possible lawsuits), forklift damage, freight dameage (How many drums get punctured when it's slick on the dock?).

IMO, when dock conditions are so bad that it is nearly impossible to move, dock operations should be suspended. It is ridiculous to sit and watch 50 dock workers burning the sh1t out of the tires on forklifts trying to get out of trailers. The cost of lost productivity, accidents ( and possible lawsuits), forklift damage, freight dameage (How many drums get punctured when it's slick on the dock?).
I don't know about OD but at the terminal I run out (ABF) of when it rains the dock is a slick as ice on a tow motor. Guess all companies have similar problems.

You can bet none of them really want to know the solutions for these problems.:1036316054: