ODFL | Safety Issues

Hey there are way too many people looking at this site, they know who some of us are. I do have questions but I would rather speak directly to the source and maybe get the SAFETY issue covered then. If the answer is not acceptable I do go up the ladder. Just words are not always acceptable, that is why there are rules/policies wriiten and lets not forget that company policies can change at anytime. Yet somewhere they have to be in black and white. (This is only my OPINION and part of my FREE SPEECH).

What I find most worrysome is spotting someone that is already hard to see, and at the same time doing the other tasks necessary to safely get the job done (driving about looking for trailers, avoiding other drivers doing the same, staying out of the way of the yard jocks, etc.).

copied this from another thread

My35 Central Texas Traveler Information Resources

My35.org is the hub for information resources you can access to both plan your trip and stay aware of any incidents that might occur on I-35.

DriveTexas.org: Your #1 resource for planning your route wherever you’re driving in Texas.
Real-time project map provides speeds, lane closures, traffic delays, travel times, and incidents.
Alternate routes: Given the heavy traffic that floods I-35 during the holidays, you might consider taking an alternate route to your destination. | View Alternate Routes

TxDOT twitter feeds: giving you both general and specific information (your choice) about travel conditions on I-35.

@My35TravelTimes: keeps you apprised of travel delays in the Central Texas section of I-35. Traffic delays of 5 minutes or more are tweeted to subscribers every fifteen minutes, as long as that delay lasts.
@TxDOTWacoPIO: provides general updates of what TxDOT is doing in and for the Waco District, with special emphasis on I-35 conditions.
@I35Travel: sends information regarding the entire length of I-35 within Texas.

Email alerts: Sign up for regular updates on I-35 construction.

My35 lane closure alerts: get daily updates, 7-day closure forecasts, and high-impact closure forecasts.
Central Texas incident alerts: receive email alerts about unexpected incidents (e.g., a wreck, an emergency lane closure, etc.).

You want a SAFETY ISSUE.....
trailers NOT being scaled out at Service Centers that have scales.
Drivers NOT checking for Haz-Mat on manifest and not placarding properly.

This is one day going to cost the driver and the company.

You want a SAFETY ISSUE.....
trailers NOT being scaled out at Service Centers that have scales.
Drivers NOT checking for Haz-Mat on manifest and not placarding properly.

This is one day going to cost the driver and the company.

Agreed. I worry about weight more in winter but it could catch up to you anyday. The dock not properly placarding the trailers is becoming may to common place. This one will cost them if they don't finally put corrections into place. I hear stories from the old timers of OD being on hazmat probation or something like that. Being pulled in and inspected a lot more. None of us want that. But as linehaul drivers we shouldn't ever have to touch placards. My understanding is that law is when the hazardous material goes on so does the placards. Although a meet guy should never bring you wrong placards or paperwork if they check their paperwork. I had a guy that has been around a few years ask me know day why I look at my paperwork. I was dumbfounded and showed how and told of all the issues I've found. Once your hooked to it any issues dot would find are on you.

Agreed. I worry about weight more in winter but it could catch up to you anyday. The dock not properly placarding the trailers is becoming may to common place. This one will cost them if they don't finally put corrections into place. I hear stories from the old timers of OD being on hazmat probation or something like that. Being pulled in and inspected a lot more. None of us want that. But as linehaul drivers we shouldn't ever have to touch placards. My understanding is that law is when the hazardous material goes on so does the placards. Although a meet guy should never bring you wrong placards or paperwork if they check their paperwork. I had a guy that has been around a few years ask me know day why I look at my paperwork. I was dumbfounded and showed how and told of all the issues I've found. Once your hooked to it any issues dot would find are on you.
Yes,agree.But,it's our job has driver's to check&double check.The guy's on the dock don't have clue.Well,we will say some.Also,was in city dispatch this past week&a newer driver has a hazmat Del.&had no paper telling him what placard's.He was asking for it&was told it wouldn't print out.My jaw just drop'd when driver say'd .Well,how do I know what placard's are suppose to be.O'my!!!!!!! I just said driver look at the bill.I had to tell him&then he ask'd by the weight does it need placard's.He say's well it's not over 1000 pound's..LOL..I told him no it's not over 1001 pound's.lol

Yes,agree.But,it's our job has driver's to check&double check.The guy's on the dock don't have clue.Well,we will say some.Also,was in city dispatch this past week&a newer driver has a hazmat Del.&had no paper telling him what placard's.He was asking for it&was told it wouldn't print out.My jaw just drop'd when driver say'd .Well,how do I know what placard's are suppose to be.O'my!!!!!!! I just said driver look at the bill.I had to tell him&then he ask'd by the weight does it need placard's.He say's well it's not over 1000 pound's..LOL..I told him no it's not over 1001 pound's.lol[/QUO
See this alot with both LH and P&D.
That would have been a good time to get a TRAINER involved, this driver needs help. A good TRAINER not only teaches one to drive but most of the aspects of the company.Was this driver not trained by in house haz~mat? Do you think he needs help or just brush him under the table? The fine the driver will get does not stop at him, it also goes to the company.
FYI heard they are hiring Train the Trainers........

When is the last time you seen the Safety man in your Service Center?
Were you able to talk with him or did you just get brushed away.

When is the last time you seen the Safety man in your Service Center?
Were you able to talk with him or did you just get brushed away.
We have a great Safety Man.Some don't like him.But,He has a job to do&if you are doing what you are suppose to do there's no problem.He has alway's been there for me when I need something at work&outside of work.He is in town atleast a week every month.But,he is out of our term.

We have a great Safety Man.Some don't like him.But,He has a job to do&if you are doing what you are suppose to do there's no problem.He has alway's been there for me when I need something at work&outside of work.He is in town atleast a week every month.But,he is out of our term.
must be nice....for me safety man is just a phone call away.

You are dead on. Once that Haz Mat meets the weight number the placards should go on the trailer. Trust me, @ ABF 050 here in Indy it never happens till they yank it form the door. And then it is a crap shoot. If you have a good outbound supervisor like we do on 2nd shift, then the yard men flip the panels on each side of the trailer unless it requires the numbers as soon as possible. When he gives you the string numbers is when it will get the placard if needed. But most of the time the pup won't have the placards until you string it. Been that way for years here @ ABF & until a fine from OSHA it will stay the same. Does this sound anything how it happens over there on Holt Street? Just curious. von.

That's the same or similar to what I see. Many times they pull them from doors & I was told they are to put them back to doors later to be placarded. Guess it's the industry standard v.s. laws and regulations.

That's the same or similar to what I see. Many times they pull them from doors & I was told they are to put them back to doors later to be placarded. Guess it's the industry standard v.s. laws and regulations.
Might sound stupid, but why put them back in the door to Plackard? Why not walk or drive over to the trailer & put them on. Why all the drama of moving the trailer again? Just wondering.