ODFL | Safety Issues

Honestly, no clue. Makes no sense to me.
After reading a lot of posts on the OLD forum I have come to the conclusion that your management & our management both have the same thing in common, a lack of common sense. Forget about union or non-union for the moment. How often during a shift does someone come up with a good idea that would save time & money & your supervisor rejects it. It seems a common thread ‘We don’t have the big picture’ is a frequent answer. The more I read other posts from other LTL forums regardless of the company name, the supervisors never want you input. They already know it all. Just ranting. Von.

After reading a lot of posts on the OLD forum I have come to the conclusion that your management & our management both have the same thing in common, a lack of common sense. Forget about union or non-union for the moment. How often during a shift does someone come up with a good idea that would save time & money & your supervisor rejects it. It seems a common thread ‘We don’t have the big picture’ is a frequent answer. The more I read other posts from other LTL forums regardless of the company name, the supervisors never want you input. They already know it all. Just ranting. Von.
I have had managers that welcome input, and others that don't. those that do seem more secure in their jobs (even if there not, like my last boss).

easy way to answer this BLOG,
How is the SHIELD PROGRAM working at your Service Center ?
I think it is a great program& I have seen some good changes.My biggest problem I have is the people that are put in this position.Are they driver's?? Have they work'd freight??They should have the experience before trying to tell the other's how to do your job safely..Ummm...I have alway's said&will say here.If we all did our job's like we are paid &held accountable for our action's.We would not need this.OD has set back&let the Term's handle there own.But,I think Corp. need to step up*make all rules&should be follow'd to the tee.Nothing will change till we are all held accountable for our action's.Not,just the few.For example our term has set a rule that everyone go counter clockwise from entering the gate.If they going to make one term do this it should be for all OD term's.Then they don't put up sign's in the driver's view.Not,knocking our term at all.Just a example .

What is the shield program?
SAFETY PROGRAM that OD started about 2yrs ago.
I do see it working very well at some Service Centers. Some SCs have meetings and post very good comments on boards. Some SCs have SHIELD teams which consist of Office, Dock, Drivers (both LINEHAUL and P&D) and Mechanics and Supervisors. I see also P&D has monthly kiosk questions to answer,besides monthly Safety meeting from Corp..
Here at OD we also have Driver Trainers that assist new drivers with learning the procedures that are outlined by Corp.. Which I feel Driver Trainers need to be refreshed and brought up to date and rechecked to insure they are teaching all the things necessary.

SAFETY PROGRAM that OD started about 2yrs ago.
I do see it working very well at some Service Centers. Some SCs have meetings and post very good comments on boards. Some SCs have SHIELD teams which consist of Office, Dock, Drivers (both LINEHAUL and P&D) and Mechanics and Supervisors. I see also P&D has monthly kiosk questions to answer,besides monthly Safety meeting from Corp..
Here at OD we also have Driver Trainers that assist new drivers with learning the procedures that are outlined by Corp.. Which I feel Driver Trainers need to be refreshed and brought up to date and rechecked to insure they are teaching all the things necessary.
Amen&all Trainer's should lead by example.See so many that say they are trainer's.But,don't follow OD's training guidelines&they do opposite of what OD tell's us to do.

Amen&all Trainer's should lead by example.See so many that say they are trainer's.But,don't follow OD's training guidelines&they do opposite of what OD tell's us to do.
I hear you. You know there are people from Corp. that look at these postings. Which is a good thing, they may hear things that need improvement and respond (not on this site) but in their own way. As a Trainer, I can only perform the duties of a Trainer with the guidance and tools that are given to me of course with Corp. backing. Too many times I have seen management tell the Trainers to take the wheel. We have guidelines to follow, we can not produce Safe, Reliable, Professional Drivers without these proper tools and backing.

I hear you. You know there are people from Corp. that look at these postings. Which is a good thing, they may hear things that need improvement and respond (not on this site) but in their own way. As a Trainer, I can only perform the duties of a Trainer with the guidance and tools that are given to me of course with Corp. backing. Too many times I have seen management tell the Trainers to take the wheel. We have guidelines to follow, we can not produce Safe, Reliable, Professional Drivers without these proper tools and backing.
Yes,they do.Again on that note.I do enjoy working for the Best LTL in the business. But,has the company grow's to fast to keep up.Thing's need to be look'd at&adjusted.The Driver Training Program need's to be look'd at&revamp'd.We have guy's who don't even drive anymore teaching&showing trainee's how to do unhook&Hook&driving around the yard's.I have had several trainee's that I have caught doing thing's that will bite them in the rear&when I ask who told you that.Well,I just roll my eye's&show them the reason why you should not do&show them the safer way.Also,again the Bonus Program's need to be look'd at..To many people in the system collecting Bonus's&they haven't drove in year's.Not fair for the one's who bust there tail's everyday out there..

Yes,they do.Again on that note.I do enjoy working for the Best LTL in the business. But,has the company grow's to fast to keep up.Thing's need to be look'd at&adjusted.The Driver Training Program need's to be look'd at&revamp'd.We have guy's who don't even drive anymore teaching&showing trainee's how to do unhook&Hook&driving around the yard's.I have had several trainee's that I have caught doing thing's that will bite them in the rear&when I ask who told you that.Well,I just roll my eye's&show them the reason why you should not do&show them the safer way.Also,again the Bonus Program's need to be look'd at..To many people in the system collecting Bonus's&they haven't drove in year's.Not fair for the one's who bust there tail's everyday out there..
Well it is time for a
CORP. SHOUT OUT !!!!
Are you reading this? You should be, because what this other driver is saying is true.
1: Driver Trainers need to be CHECKED and CERTIFIED again especially in the areas of inspection, proper shifting, fuel conservation, defensive driving, operation of the Blu, etc..
2: Driver Trainers should be the only ones teaching and signing them off. Including road tests. (this hopefully will give OD the best drivers and not some bodies friend a job)
I, myself am very proud to be an employee of OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE and would like to see ODFL grow beyond my dreams.
Corp. you have showed us what you want from us and I am willing to do all I can to keep Service 2.0D and the SHIELD program moving forward.
If anybody from Corp. is reading this send me a private message with phone number. I will call and speak to you.

Well it is time for a
CORP. SHOUT OUT !!!!
Are you reading this? You should be, because what this other driver is saying is true.
1: Driver Trainers need to be CHECKED and CERTIFIED again especially in the areas of inspection, proper shifting, fuel conservation, defensive driving, operation of the Blu, etc..
2: Driver Trainers should be the only ones teaching and signing them off. Including road tests. (this hopefully will give OD the best drivers and not some bodies friend a job)
I, myself am very proud to be an employee of OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE and would like to see ODFL grow beyond my dreams.
Corp. you have showed us what you want from us and I am willing to do all I can to keep Service 2.0D and the SHIELD program moving forward.
If anybody from Corp. is reading this send me a private message with phone number. I will call and speak to you.
With you too for sure.We need more one on one survey's for sure.

Good point in training. I've asked before for meetings with the trainers to get everyone on the same page and share info. Older trainers giving wrong info about state tests, not having trainee do anything on BLU not doing anything other then get her down the road. I've also asked to revamp training to include more time in truck and backing before throwing them into the road to play in traffic. Every terminal trains different. After the class week with the safety guy the rest is up to the TM. It seems like I ask mgmt for 100 yards and they give me an inch. I've always assumed it comes down to the $ involved in the payroll. Always has bothered me because we have the potential to get the handful of the passionate trainers together and create a great training program company wide. It takes/needs more structure.

Well it is time for a
CORP. SHOUT OUT !!!!

Good point in training. I've asked before for meetings with the trainers to get everyone on the same page and share info. Older trainers giving wrong info about state tests, not having trainee do anything on BLU not doing anything other then get her down the road. I've also asked to revamp training to include more time in truck and backing before throwing them into the road to play in traffic. Every terminal trains different. After the class week with the safety guy the rest is up to the TM. It seems like I ask mgmt for 100 yards and they give me an inch. I've always assumed it comes down to the $ involved in the payroll. Always has bothered me because we have the potential to get the handful of the passionate trainers together and create a great training program company wide. It takes/needs more structure.
With you my friend.

States do have very different tests for written and road tests. Lived in 2 different States,one of them the person giving the road test does not have examiner even holding a CDL. There is no common test between States. Kind of funny a Pilot has to pass a FAA exam and get a Federal license, maybe the CDL should be the same. Drug test Federal, background check Federal. Do you see something wrong?
As far as training time. There was a length of time that was needed to fulfill for new hires and people that already had their license. Check with your Safety person, as you said you already talked with your SCM.

North Carolina is trying to get a 3rd party examining law passed.If it does OD Safety Instructor teaching the class will not be able to give the final test for CDL.They say it's a conflict.Does makes since for sure.Not sure if it will ever happen.I was told by a retired Community College Truck Driving teacher.He is driving part time for us.He is trying to keep his 3rd party examining license hoping that OD will let him help in training & final test.We have a city driver who has his 3rd party to.

North Carolina as far as I heard is getting rid of ALL 3rd party examiners. You can blame this on the large OTR companies, I could name them but that is not a good thing to do. Let's put it this way you know who they are......
I used to be a Certified CDL Instructor in New York. New York does not have any 3rd party examiners. Nor do the examiners have CDLs, they say they don't need one. Really....think the Feds need to check that out.

North Carolina as far as I heard is getting rid of ALL 3rd party examiners. You can blame this on the large OTR companies, I could name them but that is not a good thing to do. Let's put it this way you know who they are......
I used to be a Certified CDL Instructor in New York. New York does not have any 3rd party examiners. Nor do the examiners have CDLs, they say they don't need one. Really....think the Feds need to check that out.
Let me explain
What I was told was who ever teaches the class cannot give the road test&pretrip.Another certified person must give that test.Not sure if it will ever pass.

North Carolina is trying to get a 3rd party examining law passed.If it does OD Safety Instructor teaching the class will not be able to give the final test for CDL.They say it's a conflict.Does makes since for sure.Not sure if it will ever happen.I was told by a retired Community College Truck Driving teacher.He is driving part time for us.He is trying to keep his 3rd party examining license hoping that OD will let him help in training & final test.We have a city driver who has his 3rd party to.
Need to correct wrong info .Found out today that the instructor that gives test can't help trainees at all in any type of training before test.They teach the week of class&give final test.

We spend all this money to put down walk cross's for all our employee's to enter&leave our place of work.That is great!!.Problem is Driver's&Switcher's have forgot the #1 rule on cross walk's&that is who has the right-a-way.Just really kill's me& I have started saying something to the Shield Manager&this evening to the night time yard superviser.Everyone driving should be aware of the employee's crossing&need to stop.Stop thinking , O'well I can beat that person walking or O'well they will stop for me.I have had enough.Our term want's the driver's to go around the term.a certain way .But,the dang switcher's do what they feel the need to.Again,it has got to get under control now or we going to have another OD employee get kill'd or injured.I asked for a safety vest last week&I wear it now from the time I hit the yard&anytime I get out of my tractor on the yard or at any other term.Love OD..But,we make new rules&follow thru is good for a few week's or month's&it stop's.Stay Safe out there your family's are waiting on you to get back home safely