ODFL | Safety Issues

I like the idea of safety vest, should be mandatory for anyone on the yard. Dangerous when it's raining, dark and your walking around COH yard trying to find a tractor to swap so you can go home.

WARNING....WARNING.....WARNING
Remember to check you RAM on the Jiff lock. Some of the rams are failing which causes only the Jiff lock to hold the Jiff on place. The Jiff lock needs the ram to work in order to hold the Jiff in place. If you do not know how to check the ram, info me, I will explain.

Remember to check you RAM on the Jiff lock. Some of the rams are failing which causes only the Jiff lock to hold the Jiff on place. The Jiff lock needs the ram to work in order to hold the Jiff in place. If you do not know how to check the ram, info me, I will explain.

This is an issue I had recently. I typically refer to this as a plunger for some reason.

Reactions: Ump
This is an issue I had recently. I typically refer to this as a plunger for some reason.
I check the RAM/PLUNGER on both the lead trailer (prior to building set) and the rear trailer after set is built. Then check again as I am breaking set.
This is part of a good pre/post trip.

Just tell them to push in the red air valve, go to the back of your box and open the red line. Watch the ram and see if it moves.

Just tell them to push in the red air valve, go to the back of your box and open the red line. Watch the ram and see if it moves.
Don't forget when you open the red line to put your finger over the air hole otherwise the ram will not move.

I use a dummy glad hand. Carry it with me In case I have to pull a gear.
So where do you put this dummy glad hand?
If you look in previous posts you will see that it is illegal to pull a Dolly without turn,brake or running lights. Also the brakes have to come on in case of a brake-a-way.

Last edited:
So where do you put this dummy glad hand?
If you look in previous posts you will see that it is illegal to pull a Dolly without turn,brake or running lights. Also the brakes have to come on in case of a brake-a-way.
You can still use a dummy to check and make sure the plunger works. And a glad hand has nothing to do with your lights. Your thinking way to hard here. There are different set ups for a single, double, and triples. I check the plunger on my front box before I hook it. Saves time if you need to get it fixed.

You can still use a dummy to check and make sure the plunger works. And a glad hand has nothing to do with your lights. Your thinking way to hard here. There are different set ups for a single, double, and triples. I check the plunger on my front box before I hook it. Saves time if you need to get it fixed.
The set up is the same for doubles or triples. Heavy trailer to the front lighter trailer to the rear.

The set up is the same for doubles or triples. Heavy trailer to the front lighter trailer to the rear.
We aren't even talking about the same thing. Where your getting weight and light from checking your plunger is beyond me. I'm simply saying I use a dummy glad hand to make sure the plunger comes out when you put pressure to it. I do it on every box I need to hook before I hook them. I used to do it after I hooked. But that stopped when I had to break a set because the plunger was stuck. So now when I check my tires and lights I put the dummy hand on the valve, throw the lever and make sure the plunger comes out. As far as using on a gear, if you want to put air to your brakes in the snow that's your choice. I prefer to have my dolly follow me. I block the red line going out of the gear then throw the lever to supply air to the plunger. That along with the safety chain is more then enough to keep my gear nice and secure.

I think heavy tr needs to go first.Makes the ride more exciting&bet it will keep the driver on there toes.lol
Heavy trailer does go first. The ride would be much more exciting with the heavy trailer in the back. No-one wants that! Only benefit to that is it would keep the four wheelers from hanging out on the side of you.

Heavy trailer does go first. The ride would be much more exciting with the heavy trailer in the back. No-one wants that! Only benefit to that is it would keep the four wheelers from hanging out on the side of you.
Oop's heavy one on the rear.I think all new driver's should have the feel for sure.

Last edited:
We aren't even talking about the same thing. Where your getting weight and light from checking your plunger is beyond me. I'm simply saying I use a dummy glad hand to make sure the plunger comes out when you put pressure to it. I do it on every box I need to hook before I hook them. I used to do it after I hooked. But that stopped when I had to break a set because the plunger was stuck. So now when I check my tires and lights I put the dummy hand on the valve, throw the lever and make sure the plunger comes out. As far as using on a gear, if you want to put air to your brakes in the snow that's your choice. I prefer to have my dolly follow me. I block the red line going out of the gear then throw the lever to supply air to the plunger. That along with the safety chain is more then enough to keep my gear nice and secure.
Never said to have your brakes to function as normal pulling just a jiff behind a trailer. But the way you wrote your last reply is correct, because if your jiff was to break away the jiff wheels will lockup.

Reactions: Ump
Watch out for loose placard holders as well as flip placards on the back of the pups. Found many to be missing rivets/screws holding placards in place. Also assembly that holds flip placards in place to be loose or rotted. Glad I checked one night as it fell off just touching it, guess it would have caused an incident.

I don't know where these tires were installed but had lug tires on a pup trailer the other night. Talk about a squirrels ride, the front trailer seemed like it was the lighter or the two, it was not. The lugged tires was the reason for the squirrelly ride.