ODFL | Safety Issues

My (most recent) safety issue is how trailers are loaded backwards. Meaning loaded tail heavy. Recently I had a lead that was 6k heavier on tail vs the nose paired with a rear trailer that had a heavier nose then the lead. Example weights starting at axle 2 13k, 19k, 15k, 12k. It didn't feel right pulling it around the yard and when i went back into dispatch I was given crap and they would not put it to the dock. I was told if all axles are under 20k then it's legal. They did eventually give me another lead trailer and left this lead to pawn on some unsuspecting driver. I called safety and as told they were correct the under 20k despite the safety hard ...is safe and legal in their eyes. BTW i've found I get better fuel mileage when the trailers are loaded correctly.

My (most recent) safety issue is how trailers are loaded backwards. Meaning loaded tail heavy. Recently I had a lead that was 6k heavier on tail vs the nose paired with a rear trailer that had a heavier nose then the lead. Example weights starting at axle 2 13k, 19k, 15k, 12k. It didn't feel right pulling it around the yard and when i went back into dispatch I was given crap and they would not put it to the dock. I was told if all axles are under 20k then it's legal. They did eventually give me another lead trailer and left this lead to pawn on some unsuspecting driver. I called safety and as told they were correct the under 20k despite the safety hard ...is safe and legal in their eyes. BTW i've found I get better fuel mileage when the trailers are loaded correctly.
When it really becomes A problem is when you have to pull triples with those backwards loaded trailers. Safety does not have to pull these trailer so they really don't care, however you do have the right to refuse that trailer. Also depending on what state you're in they will shut you down if the rear axle is more than 5000 pounds heavier than the front axle!

Amen&all Trainer's should lead by example.See so many that say they are trainer's.But,don't follow OD's training guidelines&they do opposite of what OD tell's us to do.
Unfortunately I am a former trainer, went by the book and experience. What gets under my skin is Shield members doing things the same or worse for things they would turn me in for. Sad.

Yes I have had a big problem with that. With triples it will also cause the trailers to whip if the weights are not balanced. I have a terrific dispatcher. I would let her know when I had the problem and she would convey our concerns. The main reason is the dock having room will swing more freight from another trailer onto the back of the first. The swung freight might be heavier freight than the head load. Another problem we had was placards and hazmat paperwork. Not no more. A number of us drivers would take photos and send them to her. A couple of weeks later, that problem went away. The threat of a letter for each occurrence all the way up the ladder seemed to get people to take their job more seriously.