TForce | Safety means nothing around here!!!

Credits
They talk safety but still make no effort to improve it here. How does your barn handle safety issues??:mad: Do you have any contacts that care and can help before somebody get hurt or even worse. Please let me know... Thanks.. going:1sm057crazy:

It is all about the money. If corporate america could throw your dead mangled body in a dumpster, without financial consequences, the bodies would be stacked over the fill line.

Safety is up to the individual.

wished I had answers to that Question. It seems that your up against a brick wall. Good luck on your safety journey Freight Hog. Hope you get your answer soon. Don't want to see anyone hurt or worse.

Agreed with all of above post. Example happened yesterday, I had a lift gate trailer with a bad door, called dispatch and terminal manager answered, I told him that door was extremely hard to close and I was going to bring in back to yard after that deliver, he told me that since I had a rail lift gate I can run it with the door open and the rail lift gate up in the lock position. I had him repeat that to me then I called our HR/Safety guy and he told me the same thing. As long as freight was secured I was to run the route with door open.

Agreed with all of above post. Example happened yesterday, I had a lift gate trailer with a bad door, called dispatch and terminal manager answered, I told him that door was extremely hard to close and I was going to bring in back to yard after that deliver, he told me that since I had a rail lift gate I can run it with the door open and the rail lift gate up in the lock position. I had him repeat that to me then I called our HR/Safety guy and he told me the same thing. As long as freight was secured I was to run the route with door open.

I would tell them both that before I move anything I will call local law enforcement and see what they think. And I would be glad to put them on conference call with the police.

at hrs it isn't too bad, they are pretty quick to fix things .
if they load your trailer and its found to be not safe when you pretrip it they put it on another trailer. if there is something unsafe about a delivery you don't do it,bring it back and the customer and company make arrangements to meet elsewhere, or they come and get it at the barn ,this happens every now and then on residential deliveries. but if we take a trailer out then find something not safe to the point where you need to come back to the barn , you get a letter .
they are constantly replacing dock plates,and seat belts on the tow motors,painting yellow walk way lines before they fade,etc etc
all the safety training they give us anymore its to the point that if anything happens to you at work its your fault, its ups covering their ***.
we had a 5 min video this morning about stretching in the am before you leave. so if we pull a muscle its a preventable injury .. it seems every week there is a video that covers something we can prevent, and we have to sign,print and id number a roster that they can throw in our face if something happens.

if they load your trailer and its found to be not safe when you pretrip it they put it on another trailer. if there is something unsafe about a delivery you don't do it,bring it back and the customer and company make arrangements to meet elsewhere, or they come and get it at the barn ,this happens every now and then on residential deliveries. but if we take a trailer out then find something not safe to the point where you need to come back to the barn , you get a letter .
they are constantly replacing dock plates,and seat belts on the tow motors,painting yellow walk way lines before they fade,etc etc
all the safety training they give us anymore its to the point that if anything happens to you at work its your fault, its ups covering their ***.
we had a 5 min video this morning about stretching in the am before you leave. so if we pull a muscle its a preventable injury .. it seems every week there is a video that covers something we can prevent, and we have to sign,print and id number a roster that they can throw in our face if something happens.

You are not required to sign those PCM rosters.

They talk safety but still make no effort to improve it here. How does your barn handle safety issues??:mad: Do you have any contacts that care and can help before somebody get hurt or even worse. Please let me know... Thanks.. going:1sm057crazy:

If its a legitimate concern such as broken concrete, uneven surfaces, unsafe forklifts (orientation pins, peddles, tank restraints and the like) open or questionable electrical, trip or fall hazards there's four letters for those issues.....OSHA!

safety

freight hog I think slave of 18 just hit bingo for you. If its that bad at your barn and you cant get things done OSHA may be the way to go. Safety should be first always but it starts with the individual first. you sound like you have a passion to keep your coworkers and yourself from harm. That is very commendable.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think FedEx and UPS use the same legal department. It's just like you described over here too.

freight hog I think slave of 18 just hit bingo for you. If its that bad at your barn and you cant get things done OSHA may be the way to go. Safety should be first always but it starts with the individual first. you sound like you have a passion to keep your coworkers and yourself from harm. That is very commendable.

absolutely, dont be afraid to go to osha. 2 years ago we had a section of the main dock that was in real bad shape.people filed grievances,went to hr, and the BA and nothing happened. so they got together and called osha. a inspector came to hrs and did a inspection. the company was, fined, and given 2 weeks to fix it. they had building maintenance in the following week with concrete fixing it.
its against federal law for the company or union to come down on you for reporting anything to osha. at this point you can hope to get lucky enough for them to be stupid enough to fire you for reporting unsafe work conditions to osha, you could retire very comfortably off the money they would end up paying you..