Yellow | Safety or not!!!

chains

what we where told at 242 was to cross the chains. not that it would matter for anything if the pup came loose

As a nubie dealing with hooking sets, the chains do their jobs, in most cases, if one comes loose...........right?? DS.

thats what happens when you have to many of these.
coors5.jpg

Darn it Brutus you beat me to it.

moonshine.jpg

party on Garth

wolf said:
Ever notice how if you get a directive out of the brass it's always subject to who's in charge at the time. :duh: Rule of the day, flavor of the month, Yrc rules, Rdwy our way. I'm so confused. :hide:
Wolf, You are so right.....

OK maybe brutus is right, what are safety clips and how are they used? DS.
You might actually see one of these in your life time, but I doubt it. And one time every pup came with a safety clip hooked at the rear of the pup(like the one used at the jiff release when converting to a double axle,only smaller). If you notice when you hit the handle with the chain to make sure dolly is locked in, there is a groove built in the bolt. Thats where those clips went in. It was to prevent that bolt from releasing and the latch opening in case of mechanical error. It was such an astronomical chance of that happening that they stopped supplying them with the trailer anymore.

Right on the money, Serta. I remember going back to dispatch and banging them for .25 or longer if they didn't have a clip. But then the order came out that they were not needed anymore. Tried to fight it but you how well that worked.:chairshot:

have you ever looked at the hoop that the chains are hooked to? cracked welds, jerryrigged welds, a piece of re-bar bent to look like a chain hoop? if the dolly breaks free from lead trl god help you. chains are no longer a concern then. Safety and Roadway is an oxy moron, kinda like jumbo shrimp it just dont make any sense!!!!

have you ever looked at the hoop that the chains are hooked to? cracked welds, jerryrigged welds, a piece of re-bar bent to look like a chain hoop? if the dolly breaks free from lead trl god help you. chains are no longer a concern then. Safety and Roadway is an oxy moron, kinda like jumbo shrimp it just dont make any sense!!!!

While I agree somewhat, its even worse when the weld is broke and that jiff is still in service for weeks to months. People need to write these things up. Jockey's at these big barns need to take them to the garage before they get hooked. Not blasting anyone, but has the jockey pool gotten worse? Or is just me?

I believe the jockeys at 309 are now paid by the mile. They seem to be making good money too. In days past a senior man would grab a speeding jockey and explain to him why he should be going the yard speed limit. Not sure why they don't anymore. We still have the older jockeys who drive the 10mph speed limit.

I'm sure the old post's were lost in the last crash, but we had a yardman, Mike H. who was fired for doing his job the right way. Case dragged on for years. He transferred to 211 on a change and I think they fired him there too. Long story long, yardmen were ordered not to pretrip equipment, leave it and see if the new breed would take it, outa site, outa mind. I think we have some yardmen on here who could update us a little more, I know DaleWho can........

Hey TBR, at 671 we are told to pretrip on arrivial. When hooking we are told not to, but the way I see it someone could have overlooked a problem or something could of happend to the equipment after it came it! I'm sure most do but, If you go through 671 be sure to PTI your loads. DS.

Hey TBR, at 671 we are told to pretrip on arrivial. When hooking we are told not to, but the way I see it someone could have overlooked a problem or something could of happend to the equipment after it came it! I'm sure most do but, If you go through 671 be sure to PTI your loads. DS.

If I go to 671, you better be drivin me in the official tour vehicle.......:rofl2:

If I go to 671, you better be drivin me in the official tour vehicle.......:rofl2:
Brother if you make down here, I'll give you the first class tour. You guys should check it out down here, lots of retired old farts like you hang out down south!!:smilie_132: DS.

Plain and simple, you always pretrip your vehicle. I know the guys that hook me, and some I even trust, but you never know what they missed. Safety is your responsibility.

Very good point, serta. When I'm hooking, I do my very best to hook and check for any kind of safety problems, but two set of eyes are better than one! DS.

Safety ????

I was given a relay set out of 135 to hook to at 231 Tuesday night. The switcher that hooked it at 135 and the highly trained professional that brought to Buffalo both must have been blind. I took it to the Buff shop needing a brake job on the lead(shoes worn past the wear bars), brakes way out of adjustment on the jiff, tail had a wheel seal leaking badly, brake linings, upper and lower, cracked and a hole in the brake chamber I could almost put my whole hand in. I guess I'm considered anal about my pre and post trips and won't pull equipment unless it will easily pass a D.O.T. inspection. In 20 years running up and down the road I have yet to get a fine for any equipment violations and don't intend to change that just to get the freight down the road. One thing I will say about the mechanics in Buffalo and Toledo is that they will always fix a legitimate problem as long as you bring it to them. There are too many guys that are in too big a hurry to even look at the equipment for defects let alone take the time to get the problems fixed!! If any of you guys have had the luxury of getting inspected at a scale in Ontario you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.