TForce | Safety Trainers

Nitetrain

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been a driver, road and city for over 30 years now, accident and ticket FREE ..Now I am being " Trained" by a rookie 10 year bottom extra driver who imo just wants me gone so he can get my job or someone else's so he can better his position. This "you have to know and memorize the 5-10 points mantra, or get sent home or pulled out of service" is BS...Also have heard that they may be required to ride with us 3 days in a row , I don't know how to deal with it. Our Safety trainer is a safety hazard. He starts the quizzing as soon as you get into heavy traffic, He stands in blind spots when your hooking and talks/texts on phone while your driving, I have told him to shut up so I can focus and then he marks me off as not knowing the keys or some other stupid nonsense. I have not memorized anything, I have told the TM I am making an attempt and she has left me to do my job, but I need to memorize soon or get sent home...Union wont do anything about it because its the companies way of promoting safety. I can retire next year and if they keep pushing and making threats they may get their wish...any comments or suggestions?

I've been a driver, road and city for over 30 years now, accident and ticket FREE ..Now I am being " Trained" by a rookie 10 year bottom extra driver who imo just wants me gone so he can get my job or someone else's so he can better his position. This "you have to know and memorize the 5-10 points mantra, or get sent home or pulled out of service" is BS...Also have heard that they may be required to ride with us 3 days in a row , I don't know how to deal with it. Our Safety trainer is a safety hazard. He starts the quizzing as soon as you get into heavy traffic, He stands in blind spots when your hooking and talks/texts on phone while your driving, I have told him to shut up so I can focus and then he marks me off as not knowing the keys or some other stupid nonsense. I have not memorized anything, I have told the TM I am making an attempt and she has left me to do my job, but I need to memorize soon or get sent home...Union wont do anything about it because its the companies way of promoting safety. I can retire next year and if they keep pushing and making threats they may get their wish...any comments or suggestions?
You have 30 years in and you let this bother you???

Regardless of who has more years of driving/job experience, the safety trainers are trained by UPS personnel and follow a protocol on effectively training drivers to be safe. I had to memorize everything from the Safety Reference Guide. It's not hard and will make you an even better driver in your own personal vehicle.
As far as the trainer talking to me while I was driving and or doing the driver drill? I told him to STFU because he was distracting me from driving safely.

You have 30 years in and you let this bother you???
The safety trainer bothers me , he's a idiot, took the job cause it gets his hours when they have no work for him, and it gives him some kinda power trip...I guess after 30 years of learning the hard way... I expect the company to trust my way of doing things and to keep myself safe than to force their dogma on me and try to humiliate myself and others to memorize safety objectives that I do automatically and instinctively anyway... New hires and accident prone drivers? by all means go for it, memorize to your hearts content. Its not likely to do you any good though...we had a city driver who could memorize the entire thing forward and backward and the very same day after he won his UPSF mug and t-shirt for his outstanding memorization skills, he backed his trailer into a trash dumpster,,SMH

Regardless of who has more years of driving/job experience, the safety trainers are trained by UPS personnel and follow a protocol on effectively training drivers to be safe. I had to memorize everything from the Safety Reference Guide. It's not hard and will make you an even better driver in your own personal vehicle.
As far as the trainer talking to me while I was driving and or doing the driver drill? I told him to STFU because he was distracting me from driving safely.
Lol yes indeed.

Here's the deal they can not fire or suspend you for not knowing the 5 and 10. Your attorney would have a field day in court and they know it. Its all a scare tactic. He's a driver not a member of management. Sign your ride along under protest then file retaliation and discrimination charges. Keep a copy of all documents.

Yea, I was called into the office and given a written test...I was told by a Driver trainer at another facility the same thing,, you don't have to know or memorize and they cant suspend or terminate but they will give you more written test to do.

Don't worry about it. I'm also a safety trainer and I'm convinced that at its all a pre-emptive thing for when they get sued. Just play along and if anything is weird comes about you know to go straight to the steward. I'd much rather have a Teamster brother grade me then the on-road supervisors from package that we had last year

Don't worry about it. I'm also a safety trainer and I'm convinced that at its all a pre-emptive thing for when they get sued. Just play along and if anything is weird comes about you know to go straight to the steward. I'd much rather have a Teamster brother grade me then the on-road supervisors from package that we had last year
Even the Teamsters brother Steward would throw you under the bus. It's sad but true.

Then you need to elect a new steward. That's unacceptable
You are absolutely right. Our local said at a meeting last year that we have to stick with the one we have now and they aren't changing the steward we have now. But I was just chimming in on your message no disrespect intended. I know they have good stewards at a lot of terminals.

You are absolutely right. Our local said at a meeting last year that we have to stick with the one we have now and they aren't changing the steward we have now. But I was just chimming in on your message no disrespect intended. I know they have good stewards at a lot of terminals.

Get your locals by-laws, you may be able to call for a steward election. Some locals allow to petition for a new steward, some do not.

unfortunately the safety program is not going to disappear anytime soon. It will be best if you learn the 10 point etc. Some service centers are pulling drivers for not learning them and putting them on the dock until they do. I have only read this in the past postings on T.B Our center is constantly quizzing us. If you dont learn them they WILL turn up the heat. Their philosophy is that we have had enough time now to learn. I find that our Road drivers have a harder time with this. Im in total agreement with you that its a pain but as our union hall has said also they are paying you and you have to comply. I call it harassment. I have decided that enough is enough and am retiring Jan of 2017..Good luck driver.

As I explained to our new dispatcher, some people it is harder for them to remember things word for word. They need to understand that simple memorization isn't going to make a good driver better. I agree with the concept, I just don't agree with the way they are going about it. The dispatcher agreed with me, and told me that as long as we understand them she won't expect word for word memorization...