SAIA | Saia 2012 lay-off

system dog

TB Lurker
Credits
Per driver out of Garland terminal, Both Dallas and Garland terminals had layoff yesterday 10-1-2012 Dallas lost 3 dock 2 city and 1 line haul and garland lost 3 line haul drivers unknown if the list dock also. Wonder if we will also get hit. That's crazy we have signs up trying to hire drivers but yet we are doing lay-off??? WTF

i heard they are going by points and accedent records and csa driver scores so if you got a bunch of points look out i know of 2 or 3 drivers that had been here 10+ years that got the axe yesterday

Dallas lost driver with 17 years I just spoke with TM he says its being done off performance and points he also says lay-offs will cover about 1% of total driver base

i heard that GBO got the # 1 man and the # 4 plus 3 dock, this is also a hard layoff no chance of coming back.

Looks to me like we have NO job security. The company just went thru employee records and said lets get rid of him. 2 months ago they where wanting us to take a survery to see what they could do to help keep the long term drivers, and now from what i see is they canned mostley drivers with 10 plus years ( damn they get free ins) The company call this a " lay off " and talked that point up to the laid off people to make them feel better about losing their job, but lets get real that 1,000 people that lost their job ( that's the number i heard) was fired no chance of coming back to work. Don't think this was a spur of the moment thing up untill last month the company was hiring like cazy, empolyee's where woundering why. well now you have your answer. The old slogan " We care we share " should be " Mangement don't cae and want share " . For all the company boy's and girls ( and i say this losley ) it only takes a second to put you on their hit list. For the record I DID NOT GET LAID OFF. The Teamster's should have a rep out side of every terminal right now. This is just BS and if we don't do somethin about it now we will be a slave to Rick O for the rest of our lives. think about it before you start bashing me.

Do not think that going Union is the answer. Yes it sucks for the employees that got the axe. Yes the company does some low down things at times. But everything that I have heard is that ALL the drivers that got the axe had skeletons in the closets,prior rollovers, or other major safety issues or bad job performance. Don't think it was based on weather the driver insurance was paid for buy company or not .

Rockymountaindoubles that's your loss,for the most part SAIA is a good company yes they do some really stupid things and yes, we as drivers sometime feel like they **** ( excuse the language ) on us . But if you get out here in line haul and do you job safely and just cover your ass then you shouldn't have any issues. What company these days keeps driver with bad driving records of really bad performance issues. I have been driving for 19 years Saia is no different than any other company out there. DON'T take me wrong I don't agree with all saia management does and I don't like the fact that they **** on employees at times. Keep your nose clean keep a good driving record and cover your ass. Don't pass up on a good job because corporate decided to axe Employees with issues.

Rockymountaindoubles that's your loss,for the most part SAIA is a good company yes they do some really stupid things and yes, we as drivers sometime feel like they **** ( excuse the language ) on us . But if you get out here in line haul and do you job safely and just cover your ass then you shouldn't have any issues. What company these days keeps driver with bad driving records of really bad performance issues. I have been driving for 19 years Saia is no different than any other company out there. DON'T take me wrong I don't agree with all saia management does and I don't like the fact that they **** on employees at times. Keep your nose clean keep a good driving record and cover your ass. Don't pass up on a good job because corporate decided to axe Employees with issues.

I've heard from an ex employee that used to work there say nothing about good things about you guys, says plenty of work. I hate company games though. But if you say it's only the F'ups getting the axe I totally understand. Do you guys hire linehaul off the street or do you need to do P&D first? Don't know if the term manager will hire me though cause I turned down his offer for p&d before I did everything else, so I think he's butthurt. I've reapplied since and nothing. I have good exp, clean record, clean CSA, even use to haul Radioactive. But whatever, his loss. Might try again but if not good luck!

Yes rockyMdoubles we do hire off street. It shouldn't be an issue with TM if it is your right its his lose not yours. Ill be honest they have their issues and they do stupid things at time. What company doesn't. I've been here 7 years got a clean record all around if something goes wrong I have learned to write down notes and take names and times to cover my butt. Over all think its a good company, benifits are good and my paycheck has been late one time and that's because a hurricane went through payroll office it was 12 hours late .

Looks to me like we have NO job security. The company just went thru employee records and said lets get rid of him. 2 months ago they where wanting us to take a survery to see what they could do to help keep the long term drivers, and now from what i see is they canned mostley drivers with 10 plus years ( damn they get free ins) The company call this a " lay off " and talked that point up to the laid off people to make them feel better about losing their job, but lets get real that 1,000 people that lost their job ( that's the number i heard) was fired no chance of coming back to work. Don't think this was a spur of the moment thing up untill last month the company was hiring like cazy, empolyee's where woundering why. well now you have your answer. The old slogan " We care we share " should be " Mangement don't cae and want share " . For all the company boy's and girls ( and i say this losley ) it only takes a second to put you on their hit list. For the record I DID NOT GET LAID OFF. The Teamster's should have a rep out side of every terminal right now. This is just BS and if we don't do somethin about it now we will be a slave to Rick O for the rest of our lives. think about it before you start bashing me.

That insurance thing you talked about comes to nearly a 1/4 millon dollars a year profit for saia. Now you know the rest of the story as to why these folks were laid off. Now the rest of the employees will have to step up and pull someone else's part.....AGAIN. And the union???? Funny this about that is of all the drivers nation wide, all carriers considered....more union drivers were called back to work after the 2008 layoffs, than non union drivers.

Just my opinion, but I believe in the spring every laid off position will be hired for. I know it generally happens every year, but some of these positions ran every night with freight all around. We can all speculate as to why everyone was canned, but no one really knows what the bottom line is.

Just my opinion, but I believe in the spring every laid off position will be hired for. I know it generally happens every year, but some of these positions ran every night with freight all around. We can all speculate as to why everyone was canned, but no one really knows what the bottom line is.

While I can agree with the fact that we just don't know why...when it involves large numbers of drivers at one time, it leads me to believe money is the bottom line.

didn't take them till spring to start post job openings for the fired drivers!

Do not think that going Union is the answer. Yes it sucks for the employees that got the axe. Yes the company does some low down things at times. But everything that I have heard is that ALL the drivers that got the axe had skeletons in the closets,prior rollovers, or other major safety issues or bad job performance. Don't think it was based on weather the driver insurance was paid for buy company or not .

be carefull of the koolaid, it may be stronger than you think.

as under handed as this was i can't belive we can't get a thread going with more input than what this one has. **** i guess nobody wants to get on Rick's hit list. is that koolaid cherry.

well i use to work for saia and they have always for along time did layoffs in the winter. its just not linehaul and city they hit. not to long ago they came up with this good idea to layoff terminal managers to save money thats when i left. funny tho they pretty much put tms back in most of the terminals they laid them off from. was hard for me to leave having 8 years but i just couldnt keep working there. i wish you company could get it straight as i did like working for them til the tm layoff. alot happier where i am but i see this every year have friends that still work for saia. its like you guys are so close to have a great company you just dont have the right people at the top. saia has kinda given themselves a bad rap because most around here know they layoff in the winter. i have seen some pretty crappy things but you all need to work so keep plugging away and hope things get better.

i was let go on Oct 1 from TOL 296. i was not laid off, i was terminated. the reason they gave was work shortage. they picked me due to unsatisfactory performance, even though i was near the top on all the metrics. the dock supervisor would always scream at me, and i wouldn't put up with his BS, so i would scream back, but unlike me, he would call the TM at home to complain like a little baby. so it turned out that all those times that i was just told to sign the write-up and it goes away were a lie.

It's tough to see a company use write ups and CSA scores to "thin the heard" but why fire an employee that doesn't yell at someone when they can fire someone that's a problem ?
It's crappy that we have to put up with knuckleheads but that's life an ******* is born everyday.
It sucks but I can't blame them. I've seen and had to deal with worse from companies.
Its even more important now to get along and stay to yourself at all jobs.

i was let go on Oct 1 from TOL 296. i was not laid off, i was terminated. the reason they gave was work shortage. they picked me due to unsatisfactory performance, even though i was near the top on all the metrics. the dock supervisor would always scream at me, and i wouldn't put up with his BS, so i would scream back, but unlike me, he would call the TM at home to complain like a little baby. so it turned out that all those times that i was just told to sign the write-up and it goes away were a lie.

Probably had a buddy that needed a job....It's sad that folks have to act like that...If your guys know what their job is, leave them alone and let them do it...