SAIA | Saia driver

sourpickle

TB Lurker
Credits
I got a call from a old Saia driver saying that a Saia line driver died on Sat in Kerville Tx. Something that his brakes weren't on and the to trailers crushed him. Does any body know anything about this. I think he was from Odessa Tx.

i haven't heard anything about it. maybe Dancing Chicken could chime in..he's from Texas. word on driver deaths do not spread too quickly around here for some reason.

Police ID truck driver killed Friday
By Alyson Chapman
The Daily Times
Published April 1, 2008
The driver of an 18-wheeler who was killed Friday morning in Kerrville has been identified as Steven Edward Halfmann, 60, of San Angelo.

Halfmann was killed when he was pinned between the two box trailers he was hauling.

According to the Kerrville Police Department, the man was working on his truck in the Dairy Queen parking lot in the 2100 block of Texas 16 just after 7 a.m. when the accident occurred.

Police said the truck apparently rolled backwards, and jackknifed while Halfmann was in between the tandem trailers.

The KPD traffic unit is investigating the crash to determine whether there was equipment failure or if the man failed to secure the brakes.

Kerrville Department of Public Safety Trooper Travis Hall assisted KPD with an inspection of the truck’s components and systems. Kerr-ville Fire and EMS also assisted at the scene.

Heard about it Fri nite in HST. Kerrville Tx is a meet point for ODS and HST. Tough situation. That town is real hilly and I can understand how something could roll given the chance. Our prayers go out for his family and the team members at the ODS terminal.

I got a reply from the reporter that did the story and they did confirm he did drive for Saia.