SAIA | Saia has lost overall 100+ driver

Tell that to all the employees we have working at our new terminals in the Northeast.

I thought you (Saia) were struggling to hire in the northeast. From what I gather through the grapevine, Saia is struggling to service the northeast properly due to staffing shortages. Not exactly a good way to start a new venture...

I thought you (Saia) were struggling to hire in the northeast. From what I gather through the grapevine, Saia is struggling to service the northeast properly due to staffing shortages. Not exactly a good way to start a new venture...
true but if i had a dollar for every business/company or person that struggled getting out the gate I'll drop my key on bossman desk and say im done

true but if i had a dollar for every business/company or person that struggled getting out the gate I'll drop my key on bossman desk and say im done
Great post Rider !!! And so true. It will take a little time but we will get it right. It's really just a matter of time. The right people will come along. Not everyone is cut out to work for SAIA.

Sounds like the biggest problem they are having with the new east terminals is the fact that they are all way too small to handle the amount of freight that the areas produce. The secondary problem being their inability to hire and retain drivers. They have had quite a bit of turnover already, even with starting guys out at top scale.

With respect to the camera situation, I was going to stay out of the discussion, and, like Train has pointed out, go or stay isn't going to change the camera situation. However, something happened this morning that I just wanted to share and then I am back to my hole. This is all I am going to say. What happened is a warning that the camera situation is going to go downhill and it was pure bullshit. It's the type of thing that will make drivers leave and that is a real shame. Back to my hole.

With respect to the camera situation, I was going to stay out of the discussion, and, like Train has pointed out, go or stay isn't going to change the camera situation. However, something happened this morning that I just wanted to share and then I am back to my hole. This is all I am going to say. What happened is a warning that the camera situation is going to go downhill and it was pure :horseshit:. It's the type of thing that will make drivers leave and that is a real shame. Back to my hole.

I know exactly what your saying.....Its getting to the point that I updated my résumé . I've been at Saia 10+ years. Been driving truck since 1988, getting coached like I'm fresh out of driving school, by someone who would not know how to release the airbrakes on truck.

Last edited:
What amazes me is I drive P&D and I haven't been coached in months. I use the Smith System and always use extreme caution in everything I do. I'm slow and deliberate in every move I make. I'm not perfect but yet somehow I rarely trigger an event. Go figure!!!! As far as who has coached me when I have triggered an event really doesn't matter to me. I don't concern myself with anyone but me. They have a job to do just like me. I cover my ass just as they are covering theirs. I really don't care about their qualifications. I didn't hire them and this is not my company. I drive a truck for SAIA. That's what I do. I don't concern myself with things that I can't control.

Last edited:
But you do concern yourself with things you can't control. Every time someone pops in on here and expresses an opinion, you try to shoot them down. You don't go merely about your business peddling freight through the day. You sit under the bridge waiting for someone to post on here and attack. You have made this personal.

But you do concern yourself with things you can't control. Every time someone pops in on here and expresses an opinion, you try to shoot them down. You don't go merely about your business peddling freight through the day. You sit under the bridge waiting for someone to post on here and attack. You have made this personal.
The couple of minutes it takes to make this post while waiting to get to the dock or waiting on the customer in some other way is minimal. We are tracked on GPS so sitting under a bridge is not an option. I don't attack. I comment with my opinion. If you think it's an attack I really don't care. I don't care enough for it to ever be personal.

My philosophy is simple. If I don't like a job then I just simply quit. I accept the good with the bad until it becomes unacceptable. Nothing is perfect. This company has been good to me and I show my gratitude by defending them when I feel it's necessary. I have little tolerance for people that come on here and rip the company. If things aren't acceptable then just leave. It serves no constructive purpose to just sit around and bitch about things. There are to many other jobs available if they are that miserable. Life is too short.

Last edited:
My philosophy is simple. If I don't like a job then I just simply quit. I accept the good with the bad until it becomes unacceptable. Nothing is perfect. This company has been good to me and I show my gratitude by defending them when I feel it's necessary. I have little tolerance for people that come on here and rip the company. If things aren't acceptable then just leave. It serves no constructive purpose to just sit around and bitch about things. There are to many other jobs available if they are that miserable. Life is too short.
RAT, your philosophy is flawed a for person of your age to simply quit and find another job is not a simple matter, now I know you have a pile of cash but that is not always the case.

RAT, your philosophy is flawed a for person of your age to simply quit and find another job is not a simple matter, now I know you have a pile of cash but that is not always the case.
It's basically a character issue Joe. You either have enough courage to walk away or you don't. I've never stayed at a job I was totally miserable at for very long. I've always been able to find another one very quickly and move on. Many guys are afraid of change even if they are miserable. Besides Joe, most guys on here that are complaining are not even close to retirement. Money has never been a motivating factor for me when it comes to happiness. And Joe I've lived like a pauper most of my life so I can live without the worry of money in my senior years. Even when I had extra cash in my youth I never bought a new 60K truck every few years just to watch it depreciate. Vehicles are one of the stupidest purchases young people make today. They are a horrible investment. Credit card debt is also the downfall of today's youth. I don't suspect you have those problems. You strike me as a man that pays cash too. Life is full of choices and if you find yourself drowning in debt your choices are limited sometimes. I've never have lived beyond my means and found myself at the mercy of the "man" so to speak.

It's basically a character issue Joe. You either have enough courage to walk away or you don't. I've never stayed at a job I was totally miserable at for very long. I've always been able to find another one very quickly and move on. Many guys are afraid of change even if they are miserable. Besides Joe, most guys on here that are complaining are not even close to retirement. Money has never been a motivating factor for me when it comes to happiness. And Joe I've lived like a pauper most of my life so I can live without the worry of money in my senior years. Even when I had extra cash in my youth I never bought a new 60K truck every few years just to watch it depreciate. Vehicles are one of the stupidest purchases young people make today. They are a horrible investment. Credit card debt is also the downfall of today's youth. I don't suspect you have those problems. You strike me as a man that pays cash too. Life is full of choices and if you find yourself drowning in debt your choices are limited sometimes. I've never have lived beyond my means and found myself at the mercy of the "man" so to speak.
I think what concerns me with today's youth including my 4 adult children is their sense of entitlement and pretentious attitude.