SAIA | Saia moving to Northeast

gabbydad said:
Does anyone have a word on whether if or when Saia will expand into the Northeast?
I think it will be the midwest area first. But we have just moved into a larger terminal in Richmond, VA. Way larger than we need.The one we were in was plenty big enough. This leads me to speculate about the northeast, though.

:wavey: Remember there is a lot of freight in the Northeast and Saia does sell all 48 states. Nervouswreck is corect about the Nidwest though fill in the existing service areas and slowly expand from there.

:wavey: Remember there is a lot of freight in the Northeast and Saia does sell all 48 states. Nervouswreck is corect about the Midwest though fill in the existing service areas and slowly expand from there.

absolutely. but svc product is intact and moving forward tonnage is up quite a bit.

customer base has been very loyal, and alot of what we do is special.

ie, freezbles, qualcomm, etc...

we were voted NASSTRAC regional carrier of the year for 2005. It's one of the awards that actually measn something based on the universe of voters....

If somebody could get rid of the morons that SCST put in charge, it might turn into a going concern. I get the feeling that Jevic management couldn't find their collective butts if their hands were sewn into their back pockets.

gabbydad said:
absolutely. but svc product is intact and moving forward tonnage is up quite a bit.

customer base has been very loyal, and alot of what we do is special.

ie, freezbles, qualcomm, etc...

we were voted NASSTRAC regional carrier of the year for 2005. It's one of the awards that actually measn something based on the universe of voters....

Funny thing is that the SCS financials say that tonnage was down 5% as the yeild grew by 3% which says that you are making more on what you haul. But tonnage being down is not a good thing unless a carrier is deliberately chasing certain frieght off its trucks.

Jevic seems to be in a bit a trouble. I wish you guys luck.

Watch for movement into the Ohio river valley first. Unless Saia can get a good deal on a Regional carrier don't expect any big moves just nibbles here at the edge of the foot print.

2 Things: 1-when SAIA moves into the northeast/midwest, they will probably need a "heat fleet", and guess where that will come from? Jevic...a built-in bonus for the "darlings" pf SCS. 2-It seems to me that Jevic was always a first-class, profitable, and respected operation, to customers, the public, and other drivers. Profitable enough for someone to invest $2oo M to buy them. Now, after several years of 'belt-tightening',
fleet decay, and morale blowing attitudes, SCS now sees Jevic as a liability, and will probably drop them asap. And, seeing as how they've made it clear that Jevic is such a sorry outfit, that'll probably rule out a sale, which the Jevic employees would for the most part, welcome, then that leaves only one other option: liquidation. Of course , the heated trailers would put to good use @ SAIA, when they inherit Jevi's bead-and-butter business, Heat Protection.

Saia, brethren, hold on to your hats.

Some BIG news coming.

Frog, thanks for your concern, good eye on the yeild by the way. Overall tonnage is down, but the ltl tonnage is growing, leading our recovery.

As for that other guy talking about management and butts and stuff...

I am Jevic mgmnt, it's always easy to cast those stones...

What do they say about walking a mile in someone else's shoes...

gabbydad said:
Saia, brethren, hold on to your hats.

Some BIG news coming.

Frog, thanks for your concern, good eye on the yeild by the way. Overall tonnage is down, but the ltl tonnage is growing, leading our recovery.

As for that other guy talking about management and butts and stuff...

I am Jevic mgmnt, it's always easy to cast those stones...

What do they say about walking a mile in someone else's shoes...
Well, dont leave us hangin. Out with it.

gabbydad, I hope ur right about going private, together or not. Seems like every company that goes public (i.e., to the stock market) suffers in the long run, especially transportation. As far as mgmt. woes, I WILL cast stones...at the frontline mgmt. that drivers deal with. Many, no, MOST of them need a reality check about who pays their salaries! Also, the general perception from our side of the "window" is that all most mgmt people want to do is to shove that load thru the window, and their job (and responsibility) is complete. That doesn't cut it! We're ALL responsible, from the time the pickup is requested, until the shipment is delivered, on time and intact. Keeping our fingers crossed at "The Best of The Best".

In my 20th year in trucking all either supervision or sales. Currently in sales mgmt.

I've seen greatness and lousiness on all sides of the window.

I am always cautious about extremes. The truth lies in the middle.

We shouyld be hearing about the "transaction" soon. Fingers crossed.