SAIA | Saia or Conway

Buggybruiser

TB Lurker
Credits
I got offers from both Saia and Con way this past Fri. I really could use some insight on both companies to kinda help me make a decision. I hear with Con way i may make more money and get home everyday and at Saia I'd have to bag it for the week but I'll have lower premiums on my insurance, and to mention they're right around the corner from my house, as with Con way I'd have a bit of a drive. I live in the Atlanta area so I would be at Ellenwood terminal for Saia and the Atl terminal with Con way. Any insight, opinoin, or comment would be appreciated.

I worked at conway in the past and haven't worked there for.a.xouple.of years and I'm not in the truck in industry at all anymore but in my experience being on the bottom at conway sucks ass some days you will work others you won't and you will always be by the phone waiting for a call...and if you are at a big terminal that may run 10 guys or so to one place and your on the bottom o d those 10 you will get the scraps left and close.down the dock then at 530 in the morn they will give you a nice via and won't get back home till 1 in the afternoon and th en they want you back in on your 10 it does get better with senority but it takes alot of.time you make more money and have less stress at a place that don't work the dock i.don't know how Saia is but a little less on the hour with better work conditions is always better it's not all about the money

I got offers from both Saia and Con way this past Fri. I really could use some insight on both companies to kinda help me make a decision. I hear with Con way i may make more money and get home everyday and at Saia I'd have to bag it for the week but I'll have lower premiums on my insurance, and to mention they're right around the corner from my house, as with Con way I'd have a bit of a drive. I live in the Atlanta area so I would be at Ellenwood terminal for Saia and the Atl terminal with Con way. Any insight, opinoin, or comment would be appreciated.
It's a no brainer brother ... Although nothing is perfect .... Conway's reputation speaks for itself ... Saia has a much better working environment. It's not always about the money.

Yet you posted on the conway board that "money is why we do this". posting out both ends again I see.
Everyone is different >>> I took the bait this time >>> Are you just looking to be confrontation? >>> Don't answer that >>> I already know.

Who has the better sign on bonus? Both should be offering one. Don't give too much thought to runaway train...he is management, like a wolf in Sheeps clothing. In your shoes I would go Conway. Much better long term upside

Saia is a much better company to work for starting at the bottom ... IMO ... As far as being management that simply isn't true ... I am anti-union but that doesn't make me management. Anyway do your research and decide for yourself what fits you best. I could have got on with Conway in Dallas ... Saia fit me best ... Everyone is different.

As the LTL business goes it gets no better than Saia ... I've worked LTL since I was 18 and I'm almost 60 and I can truly say it gets no better than Saia ... They are not perfect ... But who is? I've talked to many drivers along the way from both sides of the fence ... Truly ... It gets no better than Saia LTL Freight. IMO.

As the LTL business goes it gets no better than Saia ... I've worked LTL since I was 18 and I'm almost 60 and I can truly say it gets no better than Saia ... They are not perfect ... But who is? I've talked to many drivers along the way from both sides of the fence ... Truly ... It gets no better than Saia LTL Freight. IMO.
Hey Train I gotta agree with you on that about Saia, I had 2nd interview this morning and everyone I spoke with( drivers ,dockworkers, and even office personel) had nothing but nice things to say about the company; this goes back over a year ago when I turned them down simply because I didnt won't to go back on the road, but from my understanding it won't be the whole week, so I think I can manage. And Train a lot of us on here value your opinion, you hit the nail on the head about Vitran and I should have listen to you then. Thanks Everyone for your input it really helped me out a lot.

If your system driver be prepared to stay out the whole week.....that's not to say will?
If your system driver and you want to be home every other day you will starve to death..
This time of the year you will have to where the work is...

Hey Train I gotta agree with you on that about Saia, I had 2nd interview this morning and everyone I spoke with( drivers ,dockworkers, and even office personel) had nothing but nice things to say about the company; this goes back over a year ago when I turned them down simply because I didnt won't to go back on the road, but from my understanding it won't be the whole week, so I think I can manage. And Train a lot of us on here value your opinion, you hit the nail on the head about Vitran and I should have listen to you then. Thanks Everyone for your input it really helped me out a lot.
Saia is the way to go brother .... Like I said though nothing is perfect .... If you want to stay in LTL ... There is no better .. I would never leave here unless I was going to start my own business or simply wanted to get out of trucking. I love my job and this company and I don't care if everyone wants to call me a suck ass ... I'm very thankful for this job. I'm too old to concern myself with people that can never be satisfied ... I haven't got time to rock the boat ... I got a job to do.

Just curious as to why runawaytrain would be anti-union? I enjoy earning 69 cpm and 27.15 clock time for everything else. Just an observation from a Teamster.

He's a company man. And all of the higher ups with Saia hate hate hate unions and are very vocal about this. Reason being: they are scared IMO. They know that if the union got in here that this house of cards called Saia would collapse.

Just curious as to why runawaytrain would be anti-union? I enjoy earning 69 cpm and 27.15 clock time for everything else. Just an observation from a Teamster.
I guess it all depends on which union company you work for. Which one do you work for?

The ltl with no give backs, " What can brown do for you? " And BTW, We are hiring @ many freight centers country wide.

The ltl with no give backs, " What can brown do for you? " And BTW, We are hiring @ many freight centers country wide.
Many want to always compare UPS Freight with the others ... And that is not a fair comparison ... It would be correct to compare us with YRC and ABF ... UPS parcel let the union in and because they are the worlds largest trucking company with massive resources what they want they get. The concessions YRC and ABF have made shows the union has lost its leverage in todays economic climate. The new hires got screwed in those recent contracts showing that the senior guys were willing to throw them under the bus. The management rights clause written into all contracts shows the big picture. I won't turn this forum into a pissing contest with you. I will only say that Saia does not and will not ever need a union. Please beat the union drum on the YRC and ABF forum because they will fall on deaf hears here. OD ... Southeastern .... R&L ... Saia ... Conway ... and FedEx will remain union free because the union could never give them more than they have today. The job security thing and the pension thing is your only selling point and that my friend is not worth the paper its written on ... Just take a look at the Central States fund numbers. And the managements rights clause assures that if you don't do your job you will be replaced .... Union or not.

That's what I thought, I'm glad for you. If you're going to be a long term driver, it doesn't get much better financially than UPS. The company management has steered the company into a dominant position in a market that has few competitors and is still growing. When the company pulled out of The Central States Pension Fund they took control of and secured that money for future UPS pensions and not have that money drained off to provide pension money for failing union companies like YRC. However, UPS is hardly the union rule rather than the union exception and the company does have its warts.

Don't kid yourself by thinking that UPS management is a golden goose who worries about padding employee w-2's before taking their cut. They will and have already taken steps to cut the future payroll.
Didn't the company pay billions to get out of a pension plan so that they could set up their own plan? Why?
http://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/...te-comes-six-months-after-decisive-rejection/
What kind of deal did UPS get in the pension reform bill in Congress?
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-congress-expected-20141210-column.html
Didn't they just get passed a new formula for pension fund calculations that will guarantee a significantly smaller pension accrual for future UPS retirees?
Why did the company push for the right to establish a second tier linehaul group?

Don't get me wrong, UPS is just doing what they are suppose to do, cut costs and provide a service. While they are doing that, they provide a very good living for its employees. Just remember that the devil wears many colors and Brown is one of them. By the way, those freight center jobs, are those mileage jobs or hourly city jobs?

Just look at how the new hires get screwed in those contracts. That speaks volume.
The only one bringing up the union is you and now you are baiting for an arguement in this forum just like you do in Conway forum. Pretty bad for a mod.