SAIA | Saia shares leap for 2nd day as analysts cheer 4Q

Jack Knife

TB Veteran
Credits
NEW YORK (AP) - Shares of trucking company Saia Inc. rose Monday amid a lower broader market, as an analyst applauded its unexpected fourth-quarter profit and recommended the stock to investors.

The company said Friday it earned $1.4 million, or 10 cents per share, in the fourth-quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, on average, expected a loss of 4 cents per share.

Stifel Nicolaus David G. Ross reiterated his "Buy" rating on the stock, noting the Johns Creek, Ga.-based company is aiming to further cut costs this year to balance sluggish trucking demand. It is targeting $8 million to $10 million in annual savings through new better fuel purchasing and planning, streamlining terminal operations and implementing new driver routing software to minimize mileage.

Ross also said the company remains "in decent financial shape," noting it is well within the terms of its debt agreements.

The analyst maintained his earnings estimates for this year and next, which are both well above the average estimate of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.

Saia shares rose 43 cents, or 4 percent, to $11.12 in afternoon trading.

I never caught what our operating ratio was for the quarter. Of course....I always forgot to listen to my cd as well.

DemolitionMan :smilie_132:

Here is the info you are looking for:

Fourth quarter 2008 highlights include:

-- Operating ratio from continuing operations improved to 97.7 from 98.4

-- LTL tonnage per workday decreased 4.7%

-- LTL yield decreased 0.2% due to reduced fuel surcharge partially offset by increasing length of haul

-- Prior year quarter results included a charge of $0.04 per share resulting from an employment related matter
SAIA,SAIA Saia, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter 2008 Results

Google does wonders:
SAIA operating ratio for the quarter - Google Search

Also you could have found the info the day it came out when I posted it under SAIA. (in the FXF forum)
http://www.truckingboards.com/trucking/upload/524342-post83.html

Saia, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter 2008 Results: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

:popcorn: