TForce | Say we unionize than what?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Every working rule is written in stone for union workers that are organized.
That may be one good thing?
But it also can be bad as well.

Companies no how to walk the fine line with rules.

The other thing we've enjoyed over the years is the open door being able to talk one on one with our supervisors.
Now they will be the enemy,any issuse will have to be discussed with your union stewart present.

Also do you think your automaticly going to receive a pay raise,overtime after 8, the best benefits,and pension?

If you think that your fooling yourselves.

All these issuses have to be agreed on with the union,and workers,than brought before the company for approval.

The company isn't going to say gee that sounds good to us.

Their going to come back with less than is asked for than the process starts over.

Another thing on the negative side is you don't cross classes.

You bid for dock,city,or road.

Full time city drivers as a rule ,don't do road trips,or work the dock.

it may be differrent now?
That was the way it was when I was union.

Either way if your looking for the union to be your savior they'er going to let you down,as much as you think our company is now.

Come on we'er not doing that bad.
A lot of people have to work 2 & 3 jobs just to feed their families.

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

Apostolic said:

The other thing we've enjoyed over the years is the open door being able to talk one on one with our supervisors.
Now they will be the enemy,any issuse will have to be discussed with your union stewart present.

Also do you think your automaticly going to receive a pay raise,overtime after 8, the best benefits,and pension?

All these issuses have to be agreed on with the union,and workers,than brought before the company for approval.

Their going to come back with less than is asked for than the process starts over.

Either way if your looking for the union to be your savior they'er going to let you down,as much as you think our company is now.

A lot of people have to work 2 & 3 jobs just to feed their families.

Good post Apostolic!

Apostolic said:

That goes with union and non union companies alike. One major difference is if a union company wants to make any changes it has to be presented to the union before changes can take place..(example: change of operations). A non union company can change anything, anytime, for any reason.

I can walk into the office of any supervisor, anytime, alone, all the way up to my TM. The only time the union requires a steward or another worker present is in the case of disciplinary action.

I don't see why you wouldn't get the same packages as the rest of unionized LTL. That includes the same rate of pay, overtime after 8 hours each day, comparable, health and pension package. Note: not every health and pension package are identical, but they are all relatively close to one and other.
Negotiations are the name of the game. However, I don't think UPS would realistically try to come to the tables hoping to get less for UPSF workers than what is already in the National Master Freight Agreement.

I beleive you are able to exercise your seniority to cross classes if you so desire and are qualified to do so. The only thing I am certain of is that you would have to honor the bid you take for the length of the bid. Sometimes lasting as long as 1 year. Also seniority is based on terminal seniority not class seniority. If you go from city to road for example, you would bump everyone that is junior to you on the seniority list in that class. The only time company seniority comes into play would be during a change of operations. Should you decide you want to arbitrarily move from Boston to Florida, you would start at the bottom all over again but maintain company seniority for vacation time and pension credits.

The union isn't perfect, but in my experience, it's better than not having a union.

A lot of people have to work 2 & 3 jobs just to feed their families

You might not be doing that bad, but don't you deserve better?

Well Animo916 thanks for the come back

I was a Teamster from 1966 till 1986 when i hired on with Overnite,now i'm working in my 20th year here.

I remember when anytime there was a question that was of a negative sort you'd better bring your steward along with you just to make sure everything came out ok.

I also remember a lot of labor contracts and the process,also the big strike that shut down all union LTL in the 70's.
The teamsters won a very good contract but the U.S. government started deregulation talks right after that contract was ratified.

I remember some of the rallies when it was a herd mentality,you had better agree with the leaders,and the group or you'd have been thrown out,and maybe even have your union card withdrawn .

I also remember union leaders on the take,that had people on ghost payrolls stealling pension money,untill the government finaly stepped in to stop that practise,and moniter the pension fund still to this day.
Seemed like union officials were going to jail all the time back in the day.

Now this just might be my opinion but.
The unions had their day in Americas labor reform,but now days with the high cost of living,and taxes,if you do your best at your carrer choice,and do what you can to help your company stay in the game,your a lot better off without outside representation.

Apostolic said:
I was a Teamster from 1966 till 1986 when i hired on with Overnite,now i'm working in my 20th year here.

So apparently you have been out of the loop for 20 years as far as knowing what's it's like to work for a Union company and working under a Union contract. A lot of things have changed.

Apostolic said:
I remember when anytime there was a question that was of a negative sort you'd better bring your steward along with you just to make sure everything came out ok.

In many cases, that is a very good idea. Management usually has at least two supervisors present when ever they do an interview. Why shouldnt the worker have the same rights?

Apostolic said:
I also remember a lot of labor contracts and the process,also the big strike that shut down all union LTL in the 70's.
The teamsters won a very good contract but the U.S. government started deregulation talks right after that contract was ratified.

Interesting. The working class gets something good and the government steps in to take it all away.

Apostolic said:
remember some of the rallies when it was a herd mentality,you had better agree with the leaders,and the group or you'd have been thrown out,and maybe even have your union card withdrawn .

But as with most things, there is strengh in numbers

Apostolic said:
I also remember union leaders on the take,that had people on ghost payrolls stealling pension money,untill the government finaly stepped in to stop that practise,and moniter the pension fund still to this day.
Seemed like union officials were going to jail all the time back in the day.

Why does the word "Enron" come to mind here?

Apostolic said:
Now this just might be my opinion but.
The unions had their day in Americas labor reform,but now days with the high cost of living,and taxes,if you do your best at your carrer choice,and do what you can to help your company stay in the game,your a lot better off without outside representation.

So in other words, because of the high cost of living and taxes, you better do your best, keep your mouth shut about anything you think is wrong, and be thankful that you have still a job (or have to have multiple jobs)

Otherwise, the supervisor may decide that he doesnt like the shirt you are wearing or doesnt think you are young enough to perform up to the company's standards or may have taken offence when you told him Jesus loves you. Being an "at will employee" , without "outside representation", out the door you go.

Animo916 said:
I can walk into the office of any supervisor, anytime, alone, all the way up to my TM. The only time the union requires a steward or another worker present is in the case of disciplinary action.

And to add to that, according to the UPS contract:

When requested by the Union or the employee, there shall be a steward present whenever the Employer meets with an employee concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews.

What this means is that the company can not just go on a fishing expedition hopeing to find something on the employee without having a Union Steward present to represent the employee

Mike01 said:
And to add to that, according to the UPS contract:

What this means is that the company can not just go on a fishing expedition hopeing to find something on the employee without having a Union Steward present to represent the employee

All this is well and good. But unless it is a UPS contract it will be no vote for me. Most the UPS drivers I speak to say the same thing. It would benefit both sides.

Apostolic said:
Boy are you off base, This is a different Union that you knew.
First, I jump class all the time. Some bids I work the road, some bids the city, and some the yard. While I can do this freely at my barn, some require that you do it at the annual(contract) bid. Others at any bid. And if theres work available on the road, anyone with a cdl can take road trips, as long as it doesn't step on the road mans toes.

Pay? You get the contract wages. Maybe some extra perks in your local agreement, but everything is basically the same.

My boss is a real a$$, but at least he is open for engagement to problems and suggestions. Most barns are actually happy places to work for.

Thankfully I have to work only one job to support my family, I get paid well and live in a area where cost of living is ok. If you have to work 2 or more jobs, that isn't going to change. On a side note, I respect anyone who does, don't think I could. Shows good family dedication.

I thought it was, "The Union and company reach a tenative agreement, then it's brought to the members for approval"

Skeeter said:
All this is well and good. But unless it is a UPS contract it will be no vote for me. Most the UPS drivers I speak to say the same thing. It would benefit both sides.

I think you guys would be better off under the UPS contract too. Or perhaps a UPS contract addendum

krash said:
I thought it was, "The Union and company reach a tenative agreement, then it's brought to the members for approval"

Actually, if you think about it, it's a little bit of both.

Before the negotiations, the Locals meet and make recomendations as to what should be in the contract, what should be changed and what is most important.

The Union and the company then go through the negotiations and reach a tenative agreement.

That agreement is then brought back to the voting workers for approval or disapproval

Skeeter said:

Skeeter,

I would love to work under the UPS contract also. But life is reality and the reality is that you and I both work in the LTL sector and not small package. Therefore, the contract I work under is the National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA), and I would safely bet that any contract negotiated for UPSF will fall under the NMFA as well.

Apostolic said:
Its called having a friendly witness, avoids the whole he said she said goat rope.

Animo916 said:
Skeeter,

I would love to work under the UPS contract also. But life is reality and the reality is that you and I both work in the LTL sector and not small package. Therefore, the contract I work under is the National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA), and I would safely bet that any contract negotiated for UPSF will fall under the NMFA as well.

Well it is no vote for this fellow.

UPS Freight hourly rate isn't far from NMF.
We don't have the time and half ater 8 as do most LTL.
But the ones that do how much overtime would our company allow us to work with at that high rate.
They would have more drivers on the clock to work 8 hrs only.

Apostolic said:
UPS Freight hourly rate isn't far from NMF.
We don't have the time and half ater 8 as do most LTL.
But the ones that do how much overtime would our company allow us to work with at that high rate.
They would have more drivers on the clock to work 8 hrs only.

Actually it is cheaper for a company to pay overtime than it is to put on additional people with all the benefits and such.

Animo916 said:
Skeeter,

What about ex-Emery world wide employees? they have the same benefits as package and are they not going to be under package contract in 2008? They run heavy freight from the AF terminals as well as small. Is it because they are union already?