TForce | Say we unionize than what?

Well ftaf 08 I guess you've got all the answers!

Heres the thing.
Although being a Teamster may make good sence to you.
A lot of us are very happy working for a non-union company at this point in time.
We have more freedom to help our company if we so choose.
We have an open door relationship with our supervisors,also an 800 number if we want to make suggjestions,or report someone harrasing us.

Money isn't everything if we're not happy working where we work,or getting paid what we are presently making we have the freedom to seek employeement else where.

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

that last post, A. is a prime example of why people are not coming to these boards as much. people posting stupid stuff and even i am loosing intrest in what a few irritants put up. but im not a quitter and an gonna stick it out to see the BIG changes at UPS Freight. there are a lot of new peope (not necessarily young people) who is going to make a big difference when decision time comes arround, soon i hope.

wassesname said:
that last post, A. is a prime example of why people are not coming to these boards as much. people posting stupid stuff and even i am loosing intrest in what a few irritants put up. but im not a quitter and an gonna stick it out to see the BIG changes at UPS Freight. there are a lot of new peope (not necessarily young people) who is going to make a big difference when decision time comes arround, soon i hope.

What else we gonna do???????? Start over at the bottom somewhere else??? I am to tired and getting old enough career changes have lost there thrill.

Apostolic said:
Heres the thing.
Although being a Teamster may make good sence to you.
A lot of us are very happy working for a non-union company at this point in time.
We have more freedom to help our company if we so choose.
We have an open door relationship with our supervisors,also an 800 number if we want to make suggjestions,or report someone harrasing us.

Money isn't everything if we're not happy working where we work,or getting paid what we are presently making we have the freedom to seek employeement else where.

I never told you what to do. I was just saying its cheaper to pay overtime than hire on more people. That's the same everywhere union or not. As for having more flexibility, strict work rules are increasingly becoming a thing of the past. Should you guys go union it would be up to you at Overnite to decide what your work rules are. Being a Teamster is what you make of it. You at Overnite have the opportunity, should you vote in the Union, to make it work how you want it to. But anyway best of luck in whatever you guys decide to do.

ftaf08 said:
As for having more flexibility, strict work rules are increasingly becoming a thing of the past..

Especially at UPS these days .... AS long AS you run your butt off , work through part of your lunch , pull red tag loads . :hyper:

I'm real sorry I offended you union posters,but...

Almost ever post comes back to organizing,first Overnite,now UPS Freight.

I do thank God that we all have this forum to discuss all our trucking concerns.

I'm sorry for getting ftaf08,nightprowler,greezy trucker,and wassesname angry with me.

Its just that you all feel very strongly that we should become Teamsters.

I don't as I've stated on these boards many times in the past,I've got 20 yrs as a Teamster,and because I wasn't always happy with what they did as an organization,I came up against selective representation.

If your not a gung ho teamster brother.
i learned the hard way that your a lot better off to keep your mouth shut.

So although my dues helped pay my representative salaries,they wouldn't represent me when I needed their help.

After I took a withdrawal and hired on with Overnite,these same guys came to me a year later to help them organize my terminal.

I told them to leave me alone,when one of my co-workers asked me about organizing I told them I didn't want too.

Our terminal had a vote,the union lost by one vote.
One day later someone tryed to kill me,
By rigging my pickup truck.

So you see in my book as far as I'm concerned the Teamsters are not very nice people to deal with.

To me money isn't everthing,I'd much rather be paid less,and live in peace, without being under the control of the Teamsters union.

Apostolic, I guess the reason I hope you guys become teamsters is to help mix it up a little bit. I still haven't figuired out everything that goes on here at Yellow, so for right now I just keep my mouth shut. At my terminal we have some stewards who are good and our business agent seems to be good. Once I figuire out whats going on better I plan to get involved with the whole process. What you guys do is your choice. In my opinion the union is what you make of it, and the way I was raised, if you don't agree with something you work to change it. The only reason I chimed in about the union is because that's what you had said I was doing. In the beginning I was merely pointing out the fact that it is cheaper to pay OT than additional benefits for more employees. I guess the reason I feel passionately about increasing our membership is that with more members we will be more powerful and in my opinion it will be better for all of us. Anyway I'm done now. I didn't mean to stir up ::shit:: in your forum.

ftaf08 said:
Apostolic, I guess the reason I hope you guys become teamsters is to help mix it up a little bit. I still haven't figuired out everything that goes on here at Yellow, so for right now I just keep my mouth shut. At my terminal we have some stewards who are good and our business agent seems to be good. Once I figuire out whats going on better I plan to get involved with the whole process. What you guys do is your choice. In my opinion the union is what you make of it, and the way I was raised, if you don't agree with something you work to change it.

I can accept that.

ftaf08 your last post works for me.

I had a very bad expereance being in the Teamsters union,and for me I'd just as soon have nothing to do with them.

I found that when you don't agree with someone in a power its better to keep your opinions to yourself or they will crush you.

A, no need to apologize, its just that you post all the things you can tolerate, and they are the very thinge we want to change. i had a bad experience too. the company wanted to train me for a weldrs job. the union said couldnt do i, not my job. i was a kid then and excited about learning a skill, to be the best. i hollared at the officials alright and went back to my regular job. as one walked past me and said, in a low voice "they were gonna lay Joe off" . the union saved Joes job

Apostolic said:
I had a very bad expereance being in the Teamsters union,and for me I'd just as soon have nothing to do with them.

I found that when you don't agree with someone in a power its better to keep your opinions to yourself or they will crush you.

Apostolic,

When I was young and wet behind the ears, I got my first Teamster job. At the time, I knew nothing about the inner workings of my particular local. This was back in 78. Things were a lot different then. I was bounced around from location to location of the employer, I was not paid the prevailing wages for the same work as the "veterans", I watched as someone that knew the ropes got paid for the same poor treatment while I was told, "hang in there and we'll take care of you". Well that didn't happen. I left that industry, went to work on a few non union jobs before coming back to the Teamsters, ( 10 years later).

Now I am wiser, I am involved, I know every one of my business agents and officers personally, and they value my opinions. The Teamsters have come a long way since I was a newbie, and so have I. If I had stayed away, based on my first experience, I might still be questioning my decisions today. However, I have not regretted my experiences since coming back into the fold almost 20 years ago. I'm not going to tell you to vote yes or vote no, that is your choice and your right, but I will tell you not to judge or make your decision based on past experience. The past is just that....the past...things have changed since your days in the Teamsters, as a matter of my own observances, things have changed greatly since the previous attempt at organizing Overnite.

Thanks you guys.I feel the T.D.U. is the better union.

I'm glad you shared your stories with me,on this open trucking forum.

You may be right about changing times.
I joined in 1966 was forced out in 1986.

What I hear about the T.D.U. I think this is the way the Teamsters should be.
Members for members,insted of corrupt officials,representing their friends,and not caring about the rest.

Unless they will get big headlines for helping them get whats owed them.

Apostolic said:
I'm glad you shared your stories with me,on this open trucking forum.

You may be right about changing times.
I joined in 1966 was forced out in 1986.

What I hear about the T.D.U. I think this is the way the Teamsters should be.
Members for members,insted of corrupt officials,representing their friends,and not caring about the rest.

Unless they will get big headlines for helping them get whats owed them.

Apostolic,

I wouldn't be so gung ho about TDU in general. While the majority of the Teamsters union has gotten down to more of a grass roots type involvement of the members, TDU is actually more concerned about gaining a power base moreso than they are concerned about the members. They have been known to publish a lot of misinformation about the inner workings of the Teamsters just to push their own personal agenda, which is to be in control. There has to be a reason why TDU can't win a National election when it comes to the Teamsters.

Any way that I can help or share information, I will be glad to do so.

Mike01 said:
I think you guys would be better off under the UPS contract too. Or perhaps a UPS contract addendum

I would agree to that. I also can speak for quite a few drivers that feel the same way. There can be a addendum made to be more competitive with the rest of the unionized LTL companies. I can accept that.