R&L | Screw them like they do us

Bullwagon,

Keep doing what your doing, work hard and all of these other things like always will go away in time. I work on the support side of the company and depend on Good Drivers, Clerks, and yes even dispatchers to ensure I get to keep my job and keep doing what I'm doing. Rest assured Sr. still has his hands securely around the reins but like all things its not the same business it was 30 years ago and change was coming regardless just to stay in the game. It sounds like you have some good issues that need to be brought to the attention of the owners and maybe you can find some co-workers to join you but most importantly you need to find someone to listen. I would try J.C. one more time and let him know how sincere you are about not only your welfare but the welfare of the company. Good luck and Keep on Truckin!

R&L is a great privately held company. The key word being privately held. If you feel otherwise go to CT or Estes. Enough said on my part. No place is perfect, but I can tell you this, R&L has its employees needs and concerns at heart. And, no I am not in Wilmington, a Roberts, or, even an employee of the company. Take a look at what R&L provides to the customer. In the long term, that is all that matters, and will matter most. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

I'm not a fan of writing post because things can turn south fast for someone just trying to help or explain something. So, here we go. For the most part, (and I will try real hard to get this as close as possible) What R+L USED TO provide the customer, is what all of us "long timers" are ticked off about. Many, many, many examples of the company (since 2008 or so) telling a customer by phone, in person, or by the driver, "don't like it find someone else to move your freight." But why would a TM or dispatcher say that to a customer?....because R+L does not care about service anymore.... PERIOD. Drivers @ my center have been on the phone with central dispatch, told to do something that made no since at all and asked the question...What about service on the freight? ...WE ARE NOT HERE TO WORRY ABOUT SERVICE was one answer. Another was I DONT CARE ABOUT SERVICE, JUST DO WHAT YOUR TOLD. The ones in Wilmington that are appalled by hearing this, will try to do something, and I believe some do care, but, will get told that it will be taken care of by the TM or they will get their own political runaround in the department where they work.

Now, take the paramount/new R+L hires (2008 & after) and tell me where you see a future for anyone who is hired to put in some time and bid up to a position that will put you in a position to live the so-called American dream. That does not exist in this company anymore, to me it's un-American. There are a number more things that add to what we are supposed to be hired for. Another is depending on what terminal your at...there are a few drivers that run the terminal not management...and if you have ever called it out...you are on the list, getting treated like some of the things mentioned on this board. Could go on and on. Screw them like they do us? :crybaby: Sounds kinda union to me. I will go to my grave, having done the best I could do, with what the good Lord gave me and try to leave something behind for my kids. REGARDLESS how anyone decides for whatever reason to run a company. I see a lot of BS going on @ R+L, don't see it changing with a screw'm cuz they screw you attitude. IMO, no pun intended. :hysterical: There is much more to what is going on and things that we can do to try and deal with it change it etc. , but the screw'm just tells me who you may be and how you may deal with life. No thanks. If you were able to move on, I applaud you and am more happy for you than think. I have not been able to do that yet. Opportunity, has not been there. If it shows itself I will fly like the wind man. Have a great Holiday season, everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bullwagon,

Keep doing what your doing, work hard and all of these other things like always will go away in time. I work on the support side of the company and depend on Good Drivers, Clerks, and yes even dispatchers to ensure I get to keep my job and keep doing what I'm doing. Rest assured Sr. still has his hands securely around the reins but like all things its not the same business it was 30 years ago and change was coming regardless just to stay in the game. It sounds like you have some good issues that need to be brought to the attention of the owners and maybe you can find some co-workers to join you but most importantly you need to find someone to listen. I would try J.C. one more time and let him know how sincere you are about not only your welfare but the welfare of the company. Good luck and Keep on Truckin!

They had multiple chances to no avail, so I quit trying and found a new job, which is too bad because I started R+L with the mindset that this would be my last job. They need to do something so they quit losing good drivers.

They had multiple chances to no avail, so I quit trying and found a new job, which is too bad because I started R+L with the mindset that this would be my last job. They need to do something so they quit losing good drivers.

Same here bullwagon, I never wanted to leave R&L, but they changed so much, and made it very clear that they no longer gave a damn about their employees..

Made the move to Walmart Transportation over a year ago..What a differece it is to work for and employer that respects the individual..

Richard- Then why do we see all the Wallmart Drivers complaining?

Thanks sapper, it is going great. Walmart Transportation is a fantastic place to work. I hope you are doinng well also my friend..

I still find it funny that Richard still keeps looking at the R+L forum and keeps adding his two cents in when he does'nt work here anymore. Go to the Walmart forum and have fun. Leave this to the current R+L employees to post their opinions.

I thought we enjoyed freedom of speech in this part of the world?
I reckin not..

If SMARTWAY disagree's with who you are and what you say, you shouldn't be allowed to comment on a forum unless you "work" for that company.

I guess the 18 years I spent there are null and void, and my thoughts and opinions should be kept to myself, and certainly not expressed on the R&L forum.

I reckin not..

If SMARTWAY disagree's with who you are and what you say, you shouldn't be allowed to comment on a forum unless you "work" for that company.

I guess the 18 years I spent there are null and void, and my thoughts and opinions should be kept to myself, and certainly not expressed on the R&L forum.

That's B S

Smartway needs to change name to Smartass. If yall cant read or post on this forum then go to the company site you work for .

Ive said it before and really, this will be the last time. Richard Herbert is allowed to be here. I prefer everyone including present employees to try to refrain from really trashing the company. Firstly, the bosses are watching, they may figure out who you are from a comment you put, that's not to say we cant continue to say how we feel about issues here at R+L, we all know there are plenty. As I said, I decide who is allowed to be here. From this time on, if I see a comment again telling someone they shouldn't be here, that person will be banned for a day for intentional forum disruption. Any subsequent times will be more time of leading up to a permanent ban. I don't want to have to do that though so no more telling people they don't belong here. Thank you.

If that is the R&L that you work for and know, that is not the R&L that I worked for just a year ago. The terminal, or, service center where I worked, was all about service. Service first and the rest would fall in line. Its real simple, without satisfied customers, there is no carrier, and thus there are no jobs. At the end of the day, take care of your customers, take care of your people, and they will take care of you. Since these carrier posts encompass all terminals within the truck line's network, I appologize for assuming things were uniform across the board.

It is a fine line between short term financial success and long term stability.

I heard you bud, I'm still trying to figure with all the money they make. They cant afford company radios, there always broke. Must be the cheep batteries they bought for the trucks. ZZ ZINGA

Ive said it before and really, this will be the last time. Richard Herbert is allowed to be here. I prefer everyone including present employees to try to refrain from really trashing the company. Firstly, the bosses are watching, they may figure out who you are from a comment you put, that's not to say we cant continue to say how we feel about issues here at R+L, we all know there are plenty. As I said, I decide who is allowed to be here. From this time on, if I see a comment again telling someone they shouldn't be here, that person will be banned for a day for intentional forum disruption. Any subsequent times will be more time of leading up to a permanent ban. I don't want to have to do that though so no more telling people they don't belong here. Thank you.

not to be disruptive but it's obvious this guy hangs in the office with dispatch after work not everyday but alot. he is obviously as company minded as they get. he feels it is not our place to say anything bad about this company. he loves his job......that's fine.......WHO CARES IF THE COMPANY READS WHAT I OR ANYONE ELSE SAYS? I don't care . he is probably a good guy but has become so company minded he is lost. we all do our job here. we all get it done. he just doesn't see himself like the rest of us do. the R&L forum is as suppressed as I have ever seen on trucking board. that's too bad. that's why I don't come to this forum much. personally I don't break bread with management....they treat me great....that doesn't mean I like everything they bring to the table and I don't have to. when I find the right thing I am done....and will say thanks for the opportunaity when I leave.