SEFL | SEFL vs. SAIA

Credits
Within the past week i applied to sefl and saia. They both ran help wanted ads near me recently. Does anybody know how these companies compare to one another as far as pay and benefits. I'd be happy if just one of them calls me back but i'm wondering what i should do if both of them call. I have over 15 years experience in ltl with a stable work history, no accidents and no moving violations. The only problem they might have with me is i'm laid off from yrc which means i've worked union. I have no intentions of returning to yrc but saia's application was the only one that gave me a spot to state that. Any opinions or comparisons on the two would be appreciated.

Both are good companies. That said I work for SEFL and say if you can get on with us you will most likely never have to find another place to work. They have never laid anyone off in the 60 or so years they have been in business. If you show up each day and give an honest effort this company will do what they can to help take care of you. We do rotate days off when it is slow so there may be 4 day weeks during the winter but that's better than no job at all. We have not taken an hourly pay cut during this recession but they are running a very tight ship to maximize efficiency now. My barn has hired former Holland employees recently but I can't speak for every terminal as to what their criteria is. Even as bad as the economy has been they managed to keep a positive OR last year and continue to plan for the future. Good luck with whichever company you get on with.

I also work for SEFL. I have been there about 3 months and love it. The pay is good and I believe you top out in a year. The best thing about working there is the atmosphere and culture that the company embraces. It isnt like some places, where everybody is always gripping and complaining. There is no soap opera crap going on. Show up on time, do your job as well as you can, show respect to customers and fellow employees. As far as the union thing, I was laid off at ups freight when I started at SEFL. I like going to work now. Best company that I have worked at.
As for SAIA, I dont know much about them. Hope that helps and good luck.

:shift:just a suggestion, if you apply at any terminal at sefl,don`t wait for them to call u back, get on the phone and call the tm every couple days, tell him/her that your ready to go to work ,it seems to help,the easier it is for them to go though the motions the better for you. good luck

I work at the sefl jacksonville location for about two weeks and quit about 6 years ago,didn't like it.
1st no a/c in none of the trucks or just few with a/c.
2nd they make me pay $80 for 5 uniform polo shirt otherwise you cant wear nothing with logos and have to be black or red and shirts have to be tucked in at all time.
3rd shorts can't be below knee in length and again black or navy blue colors no logos.
4th no goaties allowed,if mustache can't be longer than bottom lip.
5th the handheld computer is too complicated I trained with them for two weeks and still couldnt understand it too well,if stop at a customer for more than 15minutes gotta explain why in computer, i mean too much trouble.
gotta use a lockpad in trailers at all times even if you pull out of a dock door and the next one is a block away,and they told me they follow you secretely to ensure you lock that trailer.
they roadtestme 4 times because they want me to double clutch I was like ,wtf is that?
i have work in quite few other companies and believe me this place was like a military type of job,and they make get a 4 day of boring classroom boring orientation 3 hours away of the crap experiences drivers knows about,I dumped them when rl carriers call me , there is no better place to work than in a place that are laidback and there is no so much pressure.

I work at the sefl jacksonville location for about two weeks and quit about 6 years ago,didn't like it.
1st no a/c in none of the trucks or just few with a/c.
2nd they make me pay $80 for 5 uniform polo shirt otherwise you cant wear nothing with logos and have to be black or red and shirts have to be tucked in at all time.
3rd shorts can't be below knee in length and again black or navy blue colors no logos.
4th no goaties allowed,if mustache can't be longer than bottom lip.
5th the handheld computer is too complicated I trained with them for two weeks and still couldnt understand it too well,if stop at a customer for more than 15minutes gotta explain why in computer, i mean too much trouble.
gotta use a lockpad in trailers at all times even if you pull out of a dock door and the next one is a block away,and they told me they follow you secretely to ensure you lock that trailer.
they roadtestme 4 times because they want me to double clutch I was like ,wtf is that?
i have work in quite few other companies and believe me this place was like a military type of job,and they make get a 4 day of boring classroom boring orientation 3 hours away of the crap experiences drivers knows about,I dumped them when rl carriers call me , there is no better place to work than in a place that are laidback and there is no so much pressure.
And a lot less $$$$$

The guys are correct both are good companies SAIA does lay off sometimes when business drops off . I have worked here 13 years and I think I've seen 4 layoffs most of the time it's people with bad safety records or poor attendance records that get the axe first regardless of how long they have worked here . As far as pay and benefits I think both are in the same neighborhood and even though they have that union question on the application it doesn't mean they won't hire you we have many former union employees working here . But beware Saia is very very anti union if you come here and start spreading Union talk they will git rid of you the first chance they get . Overall I enjoy working here and make a good living I am in the Linehaul side and that's the side I recommend the city side is more hectic and busy and the watch your hours more in Linehaul if you want to run the system you can basically write your own check. But on a bid you will usually get 2400-2900 miles a week . As long as you do what you are asked make it where you are supposed to be on time don't start any drama and don't wreck and tear up the equipment or freight you will be fine.

Within the past week i applied to sefl and saia. They both ran help wanted ads near me recently. Does anybody know how these companies compare to one another as far as pay and benefits. I'd be happy if just one of them calls me back but i'm wondering what i should do if both of them call. I have over 15 years experience in ltl with a stable work history, no accidents and no moving violations. The only problem they might have with me is i'm laid off from yrc which means i've worked union. I have no intentions of returning to yrc but saia's application was the only one that gave me a spot to state that. Any opinions or comparisons on the two would be appreciated.

Saia will not hire you if you have more than 2 years at a Union carrier. The will tell the Manager that is hiring you that this Driver is not a good cultural fit for the Company.

Saia will not hire you if you have more than 2 years at a Union carrier. The will tell the Manager that is hiring you that this Driver is not a good cultural fit for the Company.
It's a drivers market right now. You have a pulse? They will hire you if yr breathing. You should see some of the recent hires lol

Culture all depends on who is managing each individual terminal. Some are better than others. Best thing to do is talk with drivers from those companies in your area. Then you will know what to do

Culture all depends on who is managing each individual terminal. Some are better than others. Best thing to do is talk with drivers from those companies in your area. Then you will know what to do
My terminal has had 1 ex union man retire and we have a ex roadway driver with many years with roadway working there now we also have a lot of ex yellow people in upper management