Semi Plowed Into Morning Traffic

texasflood

TB Lurker
Credits
BRISTOL, Ind. -- The driver of a semitrailer plowed into morning traffic slowed for a bridge construction project Thursday along the Indiana Toll Road, killing at least eight people and injuring two others, police said.

News Link

13197651_240X180.jpg

Ok people, I just don't know whats so complicated about this construction zone. There are warnings 4+ miles before this zone on both sides of the highway. It seems every year this type of thing happens here, speed is 45. My prayers for the families and friends lets be carefull out there guys and gals. You really don't have to be first in line every time and you don't always have to be in the front of the pack, I run this stretch of road every night and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who have to race up to the front at full speed just to be first. How many more people have to die before we get it?

Happens here, too

All I can say is try driving 45mph (POSTED) in a construction zone here in MA and you'll get ticketed for going too slow, impeding traffic and causing mayhem! I tried it one afternoon on I95/128 and almost got run over (i was driving my caravan!) You wouldn't have believed it!

my $0.02

Up here in up state New York the fines are doubled for going faster then the 45 mph posted construction zone speed limit.
I see our NYS police writting speeding tickets all the time.

Paying a regular speeding fine is bad enough,but when its doubled its really cutting into your budget.

Up here in up state New York the fines are doubled for going faster then the 45 mph posted construction zone speed limit.
I see our NYS police writting speeding tickets all the time.

Paying a regular speeding fine is bad enough,but when its doubled its really cutting into your budget.

10-4 on that , they say that the law in GA is doing the same thing here Apostolistic. I see them working the zones pretty heavy & it seems like I almost get run over when I run the limit in construction zones. It's Summer time & they are going to be out there working on the roads .. DRIVE SAFE

Here's a thought. If we don't slow down, the wreckage underneath our wheels will slow us down. If we slow down, the others will ALMOST always slow down. Like they used to say on tv, "Watch out for the other guy". Ya'll drive careful now, hear?

As a UPS Freight safety trainer.
I teach to take nothing forgranted.
Expect the unexpected.
Don't just zone out by staring out the windshield.
Look in your mirrors,that way you always know whos around you,and you are more alert then having your eyes fixed straight ahead.

Theres a comfort zone that every workers gets into after they are used to doing the same type of work every day, for a long period of time.

As drivers we need to be completely focused on defensive driving habits,stay back from the pack,and whatever else we have to do,to arrive at our destination safe.

So we can go home to see our loved ones who are counting on us,and our pay checks to live out a good long while untill we can retire.

States all over the country are starting to implement similar fines in construction zones. I live in illinois and drive out of STL. Almost every major east interstate traveling throught the STL area has got some construction going on . I drive at the posted speed limit through all of them. Ans yes I get the finger alot and the dirty looks but to me it isn't worth risking my life and the lives of others not to mention my livly hood just to save a couple of minutes. Illinois recently in creased their fines in Const. zones and also implememted a three strikes type of deal , 1st offense 375.00 fine second offense 1000.00 fine and lose your license for 90 days. and it goes from there. If you hit or injur a workere in one ofthese zones it's a minimium of 14,000.00 dollars and 10 years in jail. But to be hoinest it seems that enforcement has been pretty lax. there are a couple of photo enforcment site but other that that you really don't see a lot of lawe enforcement around these zones.

Well New York State is really getting tough on speeding violations in our construction zones.
They have at least one State Police car hanging out at these work sites.

When I see a vehicle pulled over down the road from these work areas theres another lawman taking his place.

Every once in a while I see a lot of vehicles being ticketed.
I maybe sadistic,but I like to see the look on the face of the one thats getting the ticket.
I've never seen anyone smiling so far.

You know that getting a ticket is one of the biggest hassels there is.
First your pulled over,then the lawman runs your license plate number.
That takes a few minutes.
Then they get your license from you,all of the time they are taking their sweet time.
They write the ticket,hand it over to you,and sometimes they tell you what they think about you breaking the law.
Also how you go about taking care of your ticket.
Then theres the fine to pay,points are put on your license convection stub,and you insurance goes up,for about 7 years.

I've been driving a truck for a living working on my 44th year.
When drivers show me their I/Q producing their middle finger.
I give them a great big smile,while I'm tipping my cap,then I see them go totally ballistic driving like a fool to get away from me.
Alls I can say to that is wheres a cop when you need one?
But I also pray that God will have mercy on them,and everyone thats driving on the road with them!

Well New York State is really getting tough on speeding violations in our construction zones.
They have at least one State Police car hanging out at these work sites.

When I see a vehicle pulled over down the road from these work areas theres another lawman taking his place.

Every once in a while I see a lot of vehicles being ticketed.
I maybe sadistic,but I like to see the look on the face of the one thats getting the ticket.
I've never seen anyone smiling so far.

You know that getting a ticket is one of the biggest hassels there is.
First your pulled over,then the lawman runs your license plate number.
That takes a few minutes.
Then they get your license from you,all of the time they are taking their sweet time.
They write the ticket,hand it over to you,and sometimes they tell you what they think about you breaking the law.
Also how you go about taking care of your ticket.
Then theres the fine to pay,points are put on your license convection stub,and you insurance goes up,for about 7 years.

I've been driving a truck for a living working on my 44th year.
When drivers show me their I/Q producing their middle finger.
I give them a great big smile,while I'm tipping my cap,then I see them go totally ballistic driving like a fool to get away from me.
Alls I can say to that is wheres a cop when you need one?
But I also pray that God will have mercy on them,and everyone thats driving on the road with them!

I like just waving and smiling after they give me the #1 sign. I take great pride in knowing i am the best. (lol) Like the lady in a four wheeler on I-85 headed to charlotte last week, because i didnt yield to her cuz she was coming down the ramp or push the cars in the left lane into the media strip for her she came up next to me cursing me up and down, but when i smiled and waved i thought she was gonna have a stroke, never in my mind do i think a little pontiac would push my truck off the road but she wanted to find out. I just feel bad for the two young kids in the back knowing there mom is a jack @@@ but when she was throwing me the finger out of her sunroof the lady in the car behind her was trying to figure out why she was getting the finger..........some days i wonder why:hide:

People driving their little 4 wheelers are totally clueless knowing what its like sitting behind the wheel of a rig that can crush their little vehicles.
Yet they are always trying to cut short in front of us going 65 MPH on our expressways,or interstates.

When they can't have their own way while driving around us,they get angry,and get really stupid in their driving,thats the times when they show you your their number one fan.

I think you've lost your temper,so that must mean I'm controlling their emotions.
Wow thats powerful,now if there was just some way I could run them in the ditch,and get away with it so they would'nt be a danger to anyone else?
Just kidding,giving them a real big grin usually does the trick,you see them speed off down the road to get away from us professional types.