TForce | Seniority Always Prevails!

Everyone else is not company, any part-time service is not included in the "regular" seniority. On our list we have guys that have 20 years service at the bottom because 15 years was part-time. But are in the top 10% on the "company" seniority list.

Well have we got a SHOCKER for you, in the UPSF hand book it states that company seniority is determined by your "FULLTIME" start date.

It say's the same in the OVERNITE manual, and say's the same thing in the CONTRACT.

I fail to see the problem here.

Well have we got a SHOCKER for you, in the UPSF hand book it states that company seniority is determined by your "FULLTIME" start date.

It say's the same in the OVERNITE manual, and say's the same thing in the CONTRACT.

I fail to see the problem here.

No I think I have a shocker for you.
I said its pretty much the same as it was under Overnite, previously in this thread. Go back and take a look.
So if company seniority is determined by your full time start date what is your vacation and retirement seniority called? Its two different lists.
We have employees near the bottom of the list but are in the top 10% as far as years toward retirement and vacation.

No I think I have a shocker for you.
I said its pretty much the same as it was under Overnite, previously in this thread. Go back and take a look.
So if company seniority is determined by your full time start date what is your vacation and retirement seniority called? Its two different lists.
We have employees near the bottom of the list but are in the top 10% as far as years toward retirement and vacation.

I have all three and have read all three. they all say the same thing. Praticularly in time of layoff.

Again, if your company seniority is your full-time start date then what is the seniority that determines your retirement years and vacation?

The retirement was given to those in part time status, even with O. Vacation atleast in this terminal was always broken up between three lists, ROAD, CITY AND DOCK. Fulltime always prevailed in these three start lists in accordance with the fulltime seniority start date in my terminal. The senior man always had first pick, for first week with his seniority. Any week after his or her first pick was what was left over after everyone else in the list picked.

In other words, if the senior man had 2 more weeks after his first pick, the remaining weeks of choice for him was what was left after everyone below him or her picked thier first week, in thier job class.

The retirement was given to those in part time status, even with O. Vacation atleast in this terminal was always broken up between three lists, ROAD, CITY AND DOCK. Fulltime always prevailed in these three start lists in accordance with the fulltime seniority start date in my terminal. The senior man always had first pick, for first week with his seniority. Any week after his or her first pick was what was left over after everyone else in the list picked.

In other words, if the senior man had 2 more weeks after his first pick, the remaining weeks of choice for him was what was left after everyone below him or her picked thier first week, in thier job class.

I'm refering to the amount of vacation you are eligible for and years counted towards your retirement. This is determined by your years of service(which is a seniority list),under Overnite it was allways refered to as company time(years of service with the company) when you bid on a job you used classification seniority.

If your fulltime status is now your company seniority as you say, what is the years of service seniority called? Which determines when you can retire and the amount of vacation you are eligible for? When Overnite, in times of layoff this was also the seniority used in many cases. I do know under layoff, employees that were new to their classification that kept their job over employees senior to them in just that classification, because of total years of service with the company as a whole. This was under Overnite, or I should say at the terminal I worked at.

Thats the main question for me. When it comes to retirement, does all time count towards your retirement? Part-time included?

I'm refering to the amount of vacation you are eligible for and years counted towards your retirement. This is determined by your years of service(which is a seniority list),under Overnite it was allways refered to as company time(years of service with the company) when you bid on a job you used classification seniority.

If your fulltime status is now your company seniority as you say, what is the years of service seniority called? Which determines when you can retire and the amount of vacation you are eligible for? When Overnite, in times of layoff this was also the seniority used in many cases. I do know under layoff, employees that were new to their classification that kept their job over employees senior to them in just that classification, because of total years of service with the company as a whole. This was under Overnite, or I should say at the terminal I worked at.

I am almost positive you, ( A part timer, sorry) Had to work a certain amount of hours in order to be eligible for the retirment , "I think", with this being said then yes, your years of service would comply.

I think you would have to call HR. on that to get a better understanding of how that works. I can double check tonight, Does'nt mean I'll be right. I have never had to deal with this for I am fulltime.

Your vacation time, I am almost positive will stay untouched, there is a seperate seniority list for part time people ( in referance to years of service)so therefore when it comes time for vacation, you will be picking vacation within your class, so whoever is there the longest should get first pick, There will or should be what is considered to be a "casual list" and this is what a parttimer will fall under. So you will be bidding on vacation with years of service within your parttime status. ( Sorry it took a little bit in order to set in).

..considering my p/t was 20 years ago we have had numerous changes in the polices Overnite had..but my anniversary date is still the date I was hired p/t..even UPSF recognized it back in Jan..got the ring,plaque,and recognition...the contract is clear...all time will count in all cases...no arbitrary formulas,no muti dates...period..the magic number was 20 hours a week for that time to be used to take your date of seniority back to your p/t hire date..I was on a set schedule 5-9 ; 5 days a week..so mine counts..

..considering my p/t was 20 years ago we have had numerous changes in the polices Overnite had..but my anniversary date is still the date I was hired p/t..even UPSF recognized it back in Jan..got the ring,plaque,and recognition...the contract is clear...all time will count in all cases...no arbitrary formulas,no muti dates...period..the magic number was 20 hours a week for that time to be used to take your date of seniority back to your p/t hire date..I was on a set schedule 5-9 ; 5 days a week..so mine counts..

I've been full time for a while. My first day was part-time. It has counted toward my retirement years under Overnite and how much vacation I'm eligible for.
I worked on average 40 hours a week when part-time, enough to get health insurance as a part-timer. You had to maintain 30 hrs a week back then to qualify.
I have not seen anywhere where the amount of hours worked as a part-timer effected anything(other than health coverage at the time I was p/t.)
Like I've mentioned before as of today its still the way it was under Overnite.
Company seniority and your classification seniority.

I've been full time for a while. My first day was part-time. It has counted toward my retirement years under Overnite and how much vacation I'm eligible for.
I worked on average 40 hours a week when part-time, enough to get health insurance as a part-timer. You had to maintain 30 hrs a week back then to qualify.
I have not seen anywhere where the amount of hours worked as a part-timer effected anything(other than health coverage at the time I was p/t.)
Like I've mentioned before as of today its still the way it was under Overnite.
Company seniority and your classification seniority.

I can`t say when the policy was changed..it was in the Green Procedure manual the managers had.But it was the policy when I was hired in 87...and my anniversary dates reflect the date of my p/t...

I can`t say when the policy was changed..it was in the Green Procedure manual the managers had.But it was the policy when I was hired in 87...and my anniversary dates reflect the date of my p/t...

What is your date on the local cartage seniority list, your full time start date?

Anybody got any whiteout ?

What is your date on the local cartage seniority list, your full time start date?

tigerwitha88 I`m a road driver so I`m not on the local list . The rddr list thats posted is with my rddr classification date...aint whats in the contract,talked about it with my BA last week and he would have to get back to me about the issue..he wont be back in town until Thursday..soooo I`m writting...:shock:

According to the contract it is. But as I said I am sure your vacations and retirement should not be affected if you have that time, but seniority in the class you fall in will be determined by your fulltime date of hire.

According to the contract it is. But as I said I am sure your vacations and retirement should not be affected if you have that time, but seniority in the class you fall in will be determined by your fulltime date of hire.

..so there will be more than three lists...can you point me to that passage in the contract...

Article 5 section D speaks of 3 seniority lists. There is a 4th, company seniority.

I agree as of right now that's the way it is although the contract says different.
I think they have really made a mess in the way this is written in the contract.
The overtime issue as well.

First off, since when does a part-timer have equal standing with a full-timer in the city or road? If I'm pounding 65 hours a week on the road for 10 years I wouldn't appreciate getting bumped from my spot by a guy who worked three years in the check bay. I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. If the company is gracious enough to allow those years in consideration for retirement and vacation, that doesn't mean we should assume they count for seniority as well. Get over it and accept it. There was a reason why you were part-time and it likely had something to do with you not having a CDL and not being 'qualified' yet. Thanks for your service, but it is what it is...

First off, since when does a part-timer have equal standing with a full-timer in the city or road? If I'm pounding 65 hours a week on the road for 10 years I wouldn't appreciate getting bumped from my spot by a guy who worked three years in the check bay. I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly with me. If the company is gracious enough to allow those years in consideration for retirement and vacation, that doesn't mean we should assume they count for seniority as well. Get over it and accept it. There was a reason why you were part-time and it likely had something to do with you not having a CDL and not being 'qualified' yet. Thanks for your service, but it is what it is...

..I understand all too well your sentiment..but I say again show me the passage where there is more than one seniority list for an employee no matter his job status..?....In the contract..

Years ago it was rare for anyone to be hired full time at first. 95% of all the old hands at our terminal had to start out part time. CDL did not matter, at the time it took a average of 10 years just to get a city run at our terminal.
If you think this has to do with a person that has been here 10 years getting bumped by someone that has worked in the check bay for 3 you are mistaken and misinformed as to what seniority really means.