TForce | Seniority Always Prevails!

..I understand all too well your sentiment..but I say again show me the passage where there is more than one seniority list for an employee no matter his job status..?....In the contract..

Its no where in the contract but the multiple seniority lists is the system that's being followed. They are only going to officially post 3 on your Union board but its not the one that determines your retirement or vacation eligibility.
And as far as I can tell no one knows for sure what list will be used in case of layoff.

Are you talking about casual seniority or full time seniority? Article 5 section 1(f)(i&iii). Casual seniority does not count towards regular seniority. Seems like I do know something about it.

I started 25 years ago full time on day one. But for five years before that I was thinking about working for Overnite. Those 5 years should count for my seniority.:biglaugh:

Are you talking about casual seniority or full time seniority? Article 5 section 1(f)(i&iii). Casual seniority does not count towards regular seniority. Seems like I do know something about it.

I'm talking about years of service with the company.
Read Article 5 section a.
The very first statement regarding seniority.

Years of service to what end? Obviously there will be a few lists and different dates for determining different issues. The only ones who will have one date are those that were hired full-time right off the bat and never reclassed to another job. We have all known all along that transferring from city to road came with a price. And that full-time means more than part-time. If you think about it, aside from the qualification aspect, the whole premise of f.t. or p.t. implies how much of yourself that you are dedicating to the job. Many p.t. employees have other commitments, be it school or another job. A f.t. employee dedicates himself to the company on a full time basis and to equate f.t. to p.t. would be a bit unfair.

Years of service to what end? Obviously there will be a few lists and different dates for determining different issues. The only ones who will have one date are those that were hired full-time right off the bat and never reclassed to another job. We have all known all along that transferring from city to road came with a price. And that full-time means more than part-time. If you think about it, aside from the qualification aspect, the whole premise of f.t. or p.t. implies how much of yourself that you are dedicating to the job. Many p.t. employees have other commitments, be it school or another job. A f.t. employee dedicates himself to the company on a full time basis and to equate f.t. to p.t. would be a bit unfair.

Article 5
Section 1. Seniority
(a). Upon completion of the probationary period, the employee’s seniority for all purposes shall be the first day worked as a probationary employee. Seniority shall be broken only by discharge, voluntary quit, normal retirement, or more than a two (2) year layoff, or leave, except for employees on workers compensation leave who shall not suffer a break in seniority unless on leave for more than three (3) years.
(b). A list of employees arranged in the order of their seniority shall be posted on the Union bulletin board no less often than once every six (6) months. A copy of the seniority posting shall be sent to the Local Union.
(c). Any controversy over the seniority standing of any employee on the seniority list shall be subject to the grievance procedure. An employee shall have thirty (30) days to protest his placement on the seniority list once it is first posted. If there is no written protest within this thirty (30) day period, the employee shall not have a right to challenge his placement on the list thereafter.
(d). For full-time employees there shall be two seniority lists, “local cartage” and “over-the road.” There shall also be a separate “casual local cartage” seniority list. Employees in the following classifications shall be included on the local cartage seniority list: all truck drivers, helpers, dock workers, jockeys, and such other employees as may be presently or hereafter represented by the Union, engaged in local pickup, delivery, and assembling of freight. The “over-the-road” seniority list shall include all over-the-road drivers whose primary job is to transport freight between the Employer’s facilities.

..if we do not follow the contract then it might as well be thrown in the trash...the language is clear..either we follow it or we abandon the entire thing......

You are assuming that casuals have a probationary period. They do not. And why would they? From this point forward part-timers are casuals. Look up casual in the dictionary. Probation leads into regular work.

You are assuming that casuals have a probationary period. They do not. And why would they? From this point forward part-timers are casuals. Look up casual in the dictionary. Probation leads into regular work.

:chairshot:..will somebody just shoot me....please..:chairshot:

..it aint Charmin but I`ll guess it`ll have to do...hope the roids will understand.....:chairshot:

My probatinary period was along with all the other employee's at my terminal.
It was your first 90 days, regardless if f/t or p/t.

I'm probably wrong about the probationary period for casuals. I forgot they have their own seniority list. At other companies, like Harley Davidson, being a casual is effectively your probationary period and it could last years.

The mistake that I see people making is that they want something to be true and then they throw out logic and look for language in the contract to support their hope.

I'm probably wrong about the probationary period for casuals. I forgot they have their own seniority list. At other companies, like Harley Davidson, being a casual is effectively your probationary period and it could last years.

The mistake that I see people making is that they want something to be true and then they throw out logic and look for language in the contract to support their hope.

Think how illogical it would be if you worked part-time for a few months or years then went full-time, to only then have the company start your 90 days probationary period after you have already been employed there for a length of time.
Your probationary period is your first 90 days.

I don't see how article 5, section a could be understood any other way.
Your seniority for ALL PURPOSES is the FIRST day you worked as a PROBATIONARY employee.

I guarantee you that few, including myself, dedicate themselves to the "company" on a full time basis.

My point is that they're career/work intentions are on a full-time basis and they are pursuing no other job. As opposed to part-timers who either aren't qualified or lack the desire to commit to this job and have other irons in the fire be it educational pursuits or a full-time job.

I, like you, have family that come first as well.

If the company makes sure the local,dock and jockies are put on as company senority list then why cant they make an exception and do the road drivers one time deal by company senority. then it would all be understood and wouldnt have any misunderstanding

They are laying off by classification senority in memphis. Your company senority does'nt mean **** anymore. Not sure if you will be able to bid your vacation by company yet or not. It's not fair for a man who transfered from the city to the road with say 5 years senority and be on the bottom of the road board and be the first to be layed off, when they lay off by company senority on the local cartage. I think that this needs to be straightened out. Only a moron would think this is fair.

the man transfered 4years ago. It was understood that we would be layed off by company senority just like it has always been in the past. don't you think if he had known he would have stayed local. The contract is not clear. He was not the last man hired, he was the last to transfer. He was hired 5 years ago. An issue as important as this needs to be clarified. If they are going to change it to class senority then the road board should be realigned initially by company senority just like the local side and then anyone that transfers it will be understood that he would loose his senority.

goatman i realize they are laying off by classification and its NOT fair.we have men there with 28 years with the company and he was forsed off of his job in the fuel bay.They gave him a choice to go back to city,on the bottom or bottom of road board.so he took a road job. He will be next in line to be layed off.So your right about our sinority not meaning s**t. Thats why we need to board alligned by company sinority.

well I think that they should leave it like it was and layoff by company senority period!!! If they can't do that, then the only thing to do would be to align the road board by company senority. There's no way a man with 28 years should have to worry about being layed off no matter what class he's in. For all the ones that disagree, then your probably high enough up the board that this won't effect you, which means your only thinking of yourself. As long as you think like that, this union will never work.