FedEx Freight | Seniority

When I was on a laydown last time FedEx paid about $31.50 for the room. Daytime is off peak time for a hotel and they will take much less for a room when they usually have them all empty during the day.

The nice part was though that my parents lived about 20 miles from the terminal and many time I would just bobtail to their house and stay there and wake up with Mom's home cooking to get me going.

I think I gained about 15 pounds on that bid. :hysterical:

roog

roogie :1036316054:

That was really nice that the company would let you bobtail to your mom's house and at the same time you saved the motel bill for the company.
At West we hardly ever get to bobtail our trucks to motel or anywhere else. Trucks are used by city drivers and we have to wait for the motel van, unless you happen to have a motel car so that you don't have to wait on the van.

:smilie_132:

Here how about this .......
When we started in our terminal 12 1/2 years ago there were only city drivers, 7 of us to be exact & one girl in the office. We had no road drivers of our own. About 8 months had gone by and we hired a couple, but we never were told about it . We, the original city drivers, were never told or asked if we wanted to be the first road drivers. We never knew anything about road positions with the company , the so called CCM at that time was vary half a$$ and did not want to tell us about the jobs because he was having a hard time getting city drivers to sign on with AF . We were really in a bad way , every night I came home and told my wife I was quitting. We worked illegal 16 - 17 hours a day. There were no rules . We so called city drivers did everything , dock , load our own routes , pedal , unload , reload for the incoming road drivers from other places we never knew or seen. As time went by, we got bigger, hired more city and road drivers but it was to late to go to the so called road board. There is not one road driver that has seniority on me or the 6 above above me. (I am #7 on the city board) This is why I would like to see one seniority board. So I'm a city driver I work 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 what ever . I like 8 so I can go home to my girls .This is the way it was for us. You can believe me or not , but I have no reason to lie to you.

Smokestack :nutkick:

Smoke is absolutely correct. For the first 3 years I worked here, I never heard about filliing in a road position. The CCM always knew he could cover road runs with city guys, had a shortage of city guys, and could not afford for one of us to take a road position. For the first three years I worked here they hired new road guys without telling the senior city drivers about an available road position.

Why would a city guy give up 3 years seniority when he should not have had to give anything up in the first place. Had procedure been followed back then, it would not be an issue today.

Like smoke, I have no reason to lie. You can ask the 30 other city guys at our barn that have been here long enough, and they will tell you the same story.

more math

Meet and Turns vs laydowns
more math

Take 100 meet and turns that means you save 200 motel rooms and at the ABQ rate of $37.00 per day---total $7400
OK lets say that 25 meets are a hour late that is 25x2=50hrs delay
and lets say that 10 meets are 2hrs late that is 10x4=40 hrs delay
and lets add 2 meets that are 4hrs late
2x8=16hrs
now if I have this right that is 106hrs of delay
at $23 per hour that will cover most everbodys wage with a total of $2438

$7400 - $2438=$4962 savings per day, that is a total of $24,810 per week with 37% of the meets having some trouble.

There was some talk of not meeting seal times....IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK PEOPLE TO DO THERE JOBS AND HAVE THE FREIGHT READY?

I understand the west has a 2hr call for show up for the road, not set depature times...Why is that?..

I know of 4 meets out of PNX that are working fine!
I understand that west drivers get paid delay starting when they arrive at the center if not ready and also at the meet.
I'm just thinking on paper here but be ready to start taking lunch at the meet point before delay starts....like river17 has stated we all have done plenty of steering wheel picnics
I have ran laydowns, 3&2 and 3&3s and also a meet and turn and now run a nightly hub turn which gets me home everyday and every weekend...I know its not 9 to 5 but being home every day and weekend is a lot better for me than a laydown!!!

Just thinking out loud....(as a old trucking buddy of mine use to say "there you go thinking again") ..........TRUCK SAFE

Meet and Turns vs laydowns
more math

Take 100 meet and turns that means you save 200 motel rooms and at the ABQ rate of $37.00 per day---total $7400
OK lets say that 25 meets are a hour late that is 25x2=50hrs delay
and lets say that 10 meets are 2hrs late that is 10x4=40 hrs delay
and lets add 2 meets that are 4hrs late
2x8=16hrs
now if I have this right that is 106hrs of delay
at $23 per hour that will cover most everbodys wage with a total of $2438

$7400 - $2438=$4962 savings per day, that is a total of $24,810 per week with 37% of the meets having some trouble.

There was some talk of not meeting seal times....IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK PEOPLE TO DO THERE JOBS AND HAVE THE FREIGHT READY?

I understand the west has a 2hr call for show up for the road, not set depature times...Why is that?..

I know of 4 meets out of PNX that are working fine!
I understand that west drivers get paid delay starting when they arrive at the center if not ready and also at the meet.
I'm just thinking on paper here but be ready to start taking lunch at the meet point before delay starts....like river17 has stated we all have done plenty of steering wheel picnics
I have ran laydowns, 3&2 and 3&3s and also a meet and turn and now run a nightly hub turn which gets me home everyday and every weekend...I know its not 9 to 5 but being home every day and weekend is a lot better for me than a laydown!!!

Just thinking out loud....(as a old trucking buddy of mine use to say "there you go thinking again") ..........TRUCK SAFE

slackdragon :1036316054:

You put a lot of info here, so I will try to answer a few of your points. Apparently East agrees with your thesis and the savings of doing meet and turns instead of layover runs.
But West has as their main goal to satisfy the customer. Viking grew and beat all the competition because of the growth of our main lane between the Los Angeles Basin and the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Bay Area also Sacramento. Where Conway would seal their trailers at 9 pm no matter what so they could make their meets at Kettleman City, FedEx West would try to seal most trailer by 10pm and even wait till midnight or later to seal last trailer if city driver is still making pickup at a major customers dock.
The other main reason for running layover runs is that if you have 20 to 50 bills in two trailers and one set breaks down you don't end up having 4 trailers being late to make customer appointments.
The other nice thing about layover runs is for those drivers that live very far from their terminal (60 miles or more) they don't end up going broke buying gas and wear and tear on their vehicle.

Like I said before, it is all about accommodating the customer. Anybody can haul freight, only a few can do premium service so that you can charge above average freight rates.

As far as the 2 hour call. It is up to the FLC (field line coordinator) at the service center to have projections on seal times and can adjust up or down call times for line drivers to avoid excessive delay pay.

But West has as their main goal to satisfy the customer.

I would like to add,,, Viking,, AF,,, Fedex,, none of these got to where they are now days without making the customers happy. I'm not a "company pric" like alot of kid supervisors,, but I try to do my job well. We really should all try to work together,,, like it or not,, we are one company now. If you hate it,,,, leave...

Our center started with one guy he is still here. Never offered road job,probably would'nt have taken it anyways not the point. Our #1 Road man still here No manager here to hire anyone had to interview at another center and road test there as well no one knew until he was hired.Our center has grown alot since then Our first SCM is the only one we have ever had. From what I have been told that's just the way it was done then so no they are not stretching the truth. As far as meets go what happens here if a truck does break down they often come to the center and take a reclass to finish the run if they can't get to the center breakdown send's a tow truck to get one. If the truck is fixed the driver brings our truck back and gets his if not he runs our truck until his is ready same thing as a shop loaner only no shop here. Works great another reason for using reclassed power in the city you have a back when ever you need it. Both side's have good points if you look at a service map you can tell where the majority of the centers are and for the most part they are close to the major freightlanes IMO this is one of the reason's the meet's work better in the east and the laydown's and with some Co's. sleeper teams work better in the west. I know I can't stay out anymore that's my biggest reason for leaving Overnite what I wanted just was'nt going to happen I like being in the city My hat is off to you guy's that GET IT DONE in the dark. So I will take what ever they stick me with so I can watch my kids grow. That is also the reason I married a rich girl so I can continue to enjoy my Chosen hobby of trucking:1036316054: Truck Safe Everyone!

You put a lot of info here, so I will try to answer a few of your points. Apparently East agrees with your thesis and the savings of doing meet and turns instead of layover runs.
But West has as their main goal to satisfy the customer. Viking grew and beat all the competition because of the growth of our main lane between the Los Angeles Basin and the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose Bay Area also Sacramento. Where Conway would seal their trailers at 9 pm no matter what so they could make their meets at Kettleman City, FedEx West would try to seal most trailer by 10pm and even wait till midnight or later to seal last trailer if city driver is still making pickup at a major customers dock.
The other main reason for running layover runs is that if you have 20 to 50 bills in two trailers and one set breaks down you don't end up having 4 trailers being late to make customer appointments.
The other nice thing about layover runs is for those drivers that live very far from their terminal (60 miles or more) they don't end up going broke buying gas and wear and tear on their vehicle.

Like I said before, it is all about accommodating the customer. Anybody can haul freight, only a few can do premium service so that you can charge above average freight rates.

As far as the 2 hour call. It is up to the FLC (field line coordinator) at the service center to have projections on seal times and can adjust up or down call times for line drivers to avoid excessive delay pay.

First of all there is more places that we haul freight to than LA basin to San Francisco.....How do we take care of our customers by holding 50 bills while we wait for a couple of bills of late freight from a few customers, meanwhile pissing off 50 customers to please a few?????

NEXT....If you live to far away from your center..MOVE...FEDEX is here to make money and be around many years so we ALL can have a JOB!! so if we can save $25,000 a week doing meet and turns NOT LAYDOWNS I'm all for it.

I thought WE ALL worked at FEDEX FREIGHT NOW!

If you want to go back a few years and debate the pros and con of our last owners I will certinaly do that with you.

Note to TRAILERTRASH

Driver when you get 15 years here then you can complain. You fed ex west drivers dont have a clue so my advice is to tell you to SHUT UP STUPID:hysterical:

First of all there is more places that we haul freight to than LA basin to San Francisco.....How do we take care of our customers by holding 50 bills while we wait for a couple of bills of late freight from a few customers, meanwhile pissing off 50 customers to please a few?????

NEXT....If you live to far away from your center..MOVE...FEDEX is here to make money and be around many years so we ALL can have a JOB!! so if we can save $25,000 a week doing meet and turns NOT LAYDOWNS I'm all for it.

I thought WE ALL worked at FEDEX FREIGHT NOW!

If you want to go back a few years and debate the pros and con of our last owners I will certinaly do that with you.

The only reason I mentioned the lane between LA Basin and the Bay Area is that we probably move over 40 trailers every night between those points. Most is next day freight but some is also 2nd day freight. The second day freight is the one that you would seal last if you still have freight being picked up after normal seal times. The I-5 lane between Sacramento and LA Basin has freight that may come from Seattle going to Phoenix or points east.
As far as moving closer to the terminals where you work maybe easier to do in the Midwest or east coast where you can find a shack for 50,000 dollars. Many places in California you can't buy a shack for less than 500,000 dollars. So you have two choices: move further out from the big cities or move out of the state altogether.
Everything is a lot closer together in the east and doing meet and turns seem to work fine. Here in the west distances are a lot farther apart and layover runs make more sense.

Everything is a lot closer together in the east and doing meet and turns seem to work fine. Here in the west distances are a lot farther apart and layover runs make more sense.

I just don't understand...running the max hours of driving gives you 600 miles (speed limit 55 in cal) for a laydown, that,is 300 per side for a meet????.. please give me a better example

As far as moving closer to the terminals where you work maybe easier to do in the Midwest or east coast where you can find a shack for 50,000 dollars. Many places in California you can't buy a shack for less than 500,000 dollars. So you have two choices: move further out from the big cities or move out of the state altogether.

Are you saying that because I live in the midwest or east my home is only worth $50,000......sure prices are higher on the west coast than most places....but you should get out more....I live in ARKANSAS...and I'd bet a soda pop (of your choice if I lost) (I live 8 miles from the yard)that my place is worth more than yours!!!!........I'm not trying to be mean or stick my nose it the air ....have a good day.

Are you saying that because I live in the midwest or east my home is only worth $50,000......sure prices are higher on the west coast than most places....but you should get out more....I live in ARKANSAS...and I'd bet a soda pop (of your choice if I lost) (I live 8 miles from the yard)that my place is worth more than yours!!!!........I'm not trying to be mean or stick my nose it the air ....have a good day.

I don't understand why you have to take things so personal. I was not talking about you or how big your house is. I'm talking about the employees that have to live near the big service centers in California, where the cost of living is way higher than the rest of the country.
I'm sure your house is worth more than mine. What does that prove. I'm not into living over my head and buying a big house payment, just to be cash poor.

I just don't understand...running the max hours of driving gives you 600 miles (speed limit 55 in cal) for a laydown, that,is 300 per side for a meet????.. please give me a better example

Doing too many meet turns is way too complicated for our CLC to handle. They can barely give us a 2 hour call, and now you want them to coordinate hundreds of turns every day and night. Layover runs are much smoother and predictable.
Plus on a 3/2 layover bid or 3/3 layover bid, those runs actually work 6 days a week. I don't think you would like to work 6 days a week and only have 1 day off.
That is the difference why West line haul works 7 days a week and East only works 5 days a week.
We haul more freight is the bottom line.

Doing too many meet turns is way too complicated for our CLC to handle. They can barely give us a 2 hour call, and now you want them to coordinate hundreds of turns every day and night. Layover runs are much smoother and predictable.
Plus on a 3/2 layover bid or 3/3 layover bid, those runs actually work 6 days a week. I don't think you would like to work 6 days a week and only have 1 day off.
That is the difference why West line haul works 7 days a week and East only works 5 days a week.
We haul more freight is the bottom line.

Oh Really ??? I'd like to see some numbers to back that up please.... (although it really shouldn't matter. We are all one company now. Like it OR not...)

Oh Really ??? I'd like to see some numbers to back that up please.... (although it really shouldn't matter. We are all one company now. Like it OR not...)

365Volare :1036316054:

I'm not in management so I can't give you any hard numbers. West is only one third the size of East. So on total bills and pounds East has to be hauling more. But because we are a third the size we have to work 7 days a week.
West does on average 20,000 bills and 20 million lbs per day. What do you guys do per day.??????????/

365Volare :1036316054:

I'm not in management so I can't give you any hard numbers. West is only one third the size of East. So on total bills and pounds East has to be hauling more. But because we are a third the size we have to work 7 days a week.
West does on average 20,000 bills and 20 million lbs per day. What do you guys do per day.??????????/

Springfield MO., and Oklahoma City OK., on a good night would be close to 2 million between the two, thats on a good night mind you, Fedex has a whole bunch of hubs in the east system, not to mention all the big centers like Tulsa OK., I would imagine east does quite a bit outbound, inbound and hub, I'll ask Fred when we play golf this afternoon.