FedEx Freight | Seniority

365Volare :1036316054:

I'm not in management so I can't give you any hard numbers. West is only one third the size of East. So on total bills and pounds East has to be hauling more. But because we are a third the size we have to work 7 days a week.
West does on average 20,000 bills and 20 million lbs per day. What do you guys do per day.??????????/

:smilie_132:

ONLY 20 million lbs a day ??? Man,, that is small .. Like Grocery said , SGF alone does 1.2 to 1.6 miliion lbs a NIGHT,, not counting the day.. And thats a Small hub.. OKC is twice that size, so is LIT and KYC,,, all I've been too. So please check your numbers before trying to brag about something that really means nothing...

slackdragon :1036316054:

Doing too many meet turns is way too complicated for our CLC to handle. They can barely give us a 2 hour call, and now you want them to coordinate hundreds of turns every day and night. Layover runs are much smoother and predictable.
Plus on a 3/2 layover bid or 3/3 layover bid, those runs actually work 6 days a week. I don't think you would like to work 6 days a week and only have 1 day off.
That is the difference why West line haul works 7 days a week and East only works 5 days a week.
We haul more freight is the bottom line.

That is why we have set start times, and bid runs and systems that show trailers needed for set lanes, and why would CLC need to call everybody anyway?...by the way when west came into DENVER and caned our high tech systems for paper....because it worked better.....I understand the yard filled up so fast you could not MOVE.....What I'm trying to tell you is that AF was growing with leaps and bounds...high tech and would have been in all lower 48 states we just needed 5 states out west and we would of had them all!! And never would have been joined with VIKING.... also we looked at buying you a few years before all this and decided to go it alone ....BUT...Mr Garrison new he was going to DIE soon and put us in the very capable hands of FEDEX...and a year later he was dead!.....now I'm a FEDEX MAN...you need to be one also.....change is for sure so go for the ride or get off........I'm not trying to be mean, nasty, or better than you...but we need to look down the road as as one.....FEDEX FREIGHT....

I don't understand why you have to take things so personal. I was not talking about you or how big your house is. I'm talking about the employees that have to live near the big service centers in California, where the cost of living is way higher than the rest of the country.
I'm sure your house is worth more than mine. What does that prove. I'm not into living over my head and buying a big house payment, just to be cash poor.

I didn't take it personal .....it was just to let you no that it cost a lot to live not only in CAL but anywhere....and I don't have a high place payment, and I'm not cash poor...not rich either, being a truck driver...nuff said by me on the house issue...BUT..we can keep debating the pro and con of FEDEX....:1036316054:

Smoke is absolutely correct. For the first 3 years I worked here, I never heard about filliing in a road position. The CCM always knew he could cover road runs with city guys, had a shortage of city guys, and could not afford for one of us to take a road position. For the first three years I worked here they hired new road guys without telling the senior city drivers about an available road position.

Why would a city guy give up 3 years seniority when he should not have had to give anything up in the first place. Had procedure been followed back then, it would not be an issue today.

Like smoke, I have no reason to lie. You can ask the 30 other city guys at our barn that have been here long enough, and they will tell you the same story.

Lazarus has been resurrected again by Jeff.
Can't this thing die?

Lazarus has been resurrected again by Jeff.
Can't this thing die?

A000002.jpg

Ok, so should the West completely do away with a system that according to our new CEO, works exceedingly well. Oh, BTW, did you all know that our new CEO, Mike M., is a rather recent defector from the East? Or is he just blowing smoke up our a$$es, waiting to blindside us with a complete revamping of our system. Just to make yourselves feel better about your system should we completely trash our system and build a complete new infrastructure just to emulate you? Should we have people build towns one on top of the other so that we can have a zillion service centers feeding a ton of hubs?
Face reality people, get out your Rand McNally road atlas and look at the layout of the country. You just might see a subtle difference between the east and the west in terms of population densities. You might see that there is a tremendous amount of space between major markets. Yes, it does take time on breakdowns. Last breakdown I had was on a Saturday night 60 miles out from the yard, a duck hunter flat a$$ killed my truck when his camo hunting jacket blew out of his truck, wrapped around my driveshaft and ripped the guts out of my air system. Only took four hours to get the two way tow arranged, other tractor picked up, travel time, caging my brakes, pulling me out and haul a$$ for the yard. Oh yeah, stretched that 70 a little too.
So, just because it works for you, it just might not work well for us. Aside from the fact that we would all be soooooooooo happy to double our commute costs and travel time, and lose our layover deduction on our income tax for the same amount of money. I am not familiar with all the demographics of FedEx East employees but I seriously doubt that the majority of them live 30 or more miles from their service center as a large number of drivers out here do. You see, most of our centers are not in areas that you would want to raise your children in.

So, just because it works for you, it just might not work well for us. Aside from the fact that we would all be soooooooooo happy to double our commute costs and travel time, and lose our layover deduction on our income tax for the same amount of money. I am not familiar with all the demographics of FedEx East employees but I seriously doubt that the majority of them live 30 or more miles from their service center as a large number of drivers out here do. You see, most of our centers are not in areas that you would want to raise your children in.

hairbear :1036316054:

I forgot all about the meal deduction write off on your taxes. That alone amounts to a 13,000 dollar per year deduction for the 52 dollars per day deduction.
Good point.

That is why we have set start times, and bid runs and systems that show trailers needed for set lanes, and why would CLC need to call everybody anyway?...by the way when west came into DENVER and caned our high tech systems for paper....because it worked better.....I understand the yard filled up so fast you could not MOVE.....What I'm trying to tell you is that AF was growing with leaps and bounds...high tech and would have been in all lower 48 states we just needed 5 states out west and we would of had them all!! And never would have been joined with VIKING.... also we looked at buying you a few years before all this and decided to go it alone ....BUT...Mr Garrison new he was going to DIE soon and put us in the very capable hands of FEDEX...and a year later he was dead!.....now I'm a FEDEX MAN...you need to be one also.....change is for sure so go for the ride or get off........I'm not trying to be mean, nasty, or better than you...but we need to look down the road as as one.....FEDEX FREIGHT....

I will agree with what you are saying about moving forward.
Just that some people need to be convinced that your system is better.
It is very hard to change something that works, for the unknown.
The old saying: if it ain't broke, why fix it.
I agree that technology will keep us ahead of the competition.

hairbear :1036316054:

I forgot all about the meal deduction write off on your taxes. That alone amounts to a 13,000 dollar per year deduction for the 52 dollars per day deduction.
Good point.

I knew about this....( trucking buddy in PNX, old AF driver).....wondered when you would come up with it.....can't disagree with this one...thanks hairbear....but hairbear beware of the smoke you talk about...I would guess something new is coming

Ok, so should the West completely do away with a system that according to our new CEO, works exceedingly well. Oh, BTW, did you all know that our new CEO, Mike M., is a rather recent defector from the East? Or is he just blowing smoke up our a$$es, waiting to blindside us with a complete revamping of our system. Just to make yourselves feel better about your system should we completely trash our system and build a complete new infrastructure just to emulate you? Should we have people build towns one on top of the other so that we can have a zillion service centers feeding a ton of hubs?
Face reality people, get out your Rand McNally road atlas and look at the layout of the country. You just might see a subtle difference between the east and the west in terms of population densities. You might see that there is a tremendous amount of space between major markets.
you know 12 years ago I thought and said some of the same things...took a $492.00 a week pay cut form a 3 and 3 to the hub system....now I see that it was one of the smartest things AF did....and I can't say that enough...you will need to go through it, live it, see it, before you will understand....BTW your new CEO grew up with our system....sooooooo (as you put it).....I would say hang on for the ride.......

He's probaly the one holding the camera taking the picture.
These ladys are showing him that he's their number one fan!