FedEx Freight | Seniority

you know 12 years ago I thought and said some of the same things...took a $492.00 a week pay cut form a 3 and 3 to the hub system....now I see that it was one of the smartest things AF did....and I can't say that enough...you will need to go through it, live it, see it, before you will understand....BTW your new CEO grew up with our system....sooooooo (as you put it).....I would say hang on for the ride.......

slackdragon :1036316054:

Can you explain how you could afford to take a 25584 dollars per year pay cut and still be a happy camper.
Can you elaborate on this business plan???

:smilie_132:

Oh, BTW, did you all know that our new CEO, Mike M., is a rather recent defector from the East? Or is he just blowing smoke up our a$$es, waiting to blindside us with a complete revamping of our system.

hairbear :1036316054:

I have not had a chance to personally meet Mike M. yet, but don't you think that he could be a Trojan horse ????
Sent here to the West to set us straight.
Otherwise why not promote the CEO job from within.
I also heard that as soon as we get the new Denver terminal finished, they are going to give total control to East and move all those employees back to East payroll.
I think for us in the West, it is not going to be "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming", instead it will be "The East is coming, the East is coming" to take us over.

slackdragon :1036316054:

Can you explain how you could afford to take a 25584 dollars per year pay cut and still be a happy camper.
Can you elaborate on this business plan???

Yes I was pissed off to say the least....and that was 12 years ago........but money is not everthing.... and after time...and I still have a good job..I still say it was a very smart thing to go to the HUB system....Look how we grew after it happened.

I have not had a chance to personally meet Mike M. yet, but don't you think that he could be a Trojan horse ????
Sent here to the West to set us straight.
Otherwise why not promote the CEO job from within.
I also heard that as soon as we get the new Denver terminal finished, they are going to give total control to East and move all those employees back to East payroll.
I think for us in the West, it is not going to be "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming", instead it will be "The East is coming, the East is coming" to take us over.

I have met Mike M. personally. He is quite different from most management people, in a good way. He was at a quarterly employee meeting, walked right up to myself and a couple of other drivers and said "Hi, I'm Mike M and this that and the other which is not important. What was important was that when asked if he had a couple of minutes to talk after the meeting indicated he would, and he did. We spoke about some issues that were very negatively affecting a group of drivers. Subsequent to that, he set up a conference call between the affected drivers and CLC and then, called me at my house to see if the conference call had happened and was it productive.
Not what one would ordinarily expect from the head suit. Appears to be a genuinely sincere guy that listens to his employees.
Too bad there are other things going on in the West that I can't talk about in this forum that will undoubtedly make him not as approachable.

Yes I was pissed off to say the least....and that was 12 years ago........but money is not everthing.... and after time...and I still have a good job..I still say it was a very smart thing to go to the HUB system....Look how we grew after it happened.

So, I'm confused, I've only been doing freight for 20 years. Just what exactly is the HUB system. How does it differ from our satellite and breakbulk system.

I have met Mike M. personally. He is quite different from most management people, in a good way. He was at a quarterly employee meeting, walked right up to myself and a couple of other drivers and said "Hi, I'm Mike M and this that and the other which is not important. What was important was that when asked if he had a couple of minutes to talk after the meeting indicated he would, and he did. We spoke about some issues that were very negatively affecting a group of drivers. Subsequent to that, he set up a conference call between the affected drivers and CLC and then, called me at my house to see if the conference call had happened and was it productive.
Not what one would ordinarily expect from the head suit. Appears to be a genuinely sincere guy that listens to his employees.
Too bad there are other things going on in the West that I can't talk about in this forum that will undoubtedly make him not as approachable.

That is a Very Rare person indeed in this company. You are very lucky to have him ! I hope upper managment doesn't ruin him...

So, I'm confused, I've only been doing freight for 20 years. Just what exactly is the HUB system. How does it differ from our satellite and breakbulk system.
short version...think of a wheel and spokes.....outlaying centers run to the center hub, drivers and dock workers work the freight, and go back to there local terminal with local freight every night, and city pedal does there thing. With this you move regional freight nightly and on a timely bases....and the benefit to the west line drivers ...you can make more money, so if you run 200 miles to a breakbulk (hub) and 200 home and you could work for 2 to 4 hrs lets say max 4X5days = 20x $23hr=$460 + paid for the 2000 miles at what 52=$1040 + the $460=$1500...well you get the picture, you might start getting some paid drop and hook time..( I get 11.25 drop&hook & fuel time each week..$237 and I dont work the dock anymore...my choice)..some divers may run 600 miles and not work and some may run 50 miles and work a lot!!!!!...hubs move 2 and 3 day freight toward other hubs....this way you can be home every day, or night, only work 5 days a week, do some math....we have some drivers breaking $90,000 doing this, it might not work out this way for you....(your satellite and breakbulk may be different than ours was.. and drivers may be making this much already...major change for us).......like I said short version

I'm glad to hear that he called you at home to do a follow up. I'm still looking forward to meeting him sometime in the future.
I'm sure though that he was probably sent out here to size up the situation and the culture. Although Doug D. in Memphis used to also be our CEO at one time and knows what Viking was all about.
But if later on they want to move the East way of doing things all the way to the Pacific Ocean, then Mike M. would already be in position to know that system as well.

Their HUB system is the same as our break bulk.
The big difference being that their satellite terminals are within 250 miles from the HUB or less.
Also I think that their HUB could be in a smaller town instead of our break bulks being in the major cities. For example some of our major break bulk terminals are:
SAC, WHT, FTA, SLC, POR, DEN, PHX.
East instead from what I can figure, will put a break bulk (HUB) in a small town like Lincoln, IL., and then service both Chicago and St. Louis.
This makes sense if you are building trailers going to the west coast. You have all that freight from both those big cities going into one trailer going to WHT.

Ok, I was being facetious. I know what a hub and spoke system is. The question remains. Do they expect us to completely dismantle our system, relocate our existing breakbulks and find a lot more drivers to do all this dock work? Just to emulate them? We still move all of our overnight, two and three day freight with our own drivers. Most of our drivers get a three day weekend every other week. We commute half as much, we still get our layover deduction, are not broke down physically by age 40 and why in the hell would I want to trade 544 miles with one drop and 229 triple miles for 400 miles and work the dock. I mean seriously! I get all the exercise I need in the winter chaining trucks in my flowered flip flops and fur lined leather thong.

Ok, I was being facetious. I know what a hub and spoke system is. The question remains. Do they expect us to completely dismantle our system, relocate our existing breakbulks and find a lot more drivers to do all this dock work? Just to emulate them? We still move all of our overnight, two and three day freight with our own drivers. Most of our drivers get a three day weekend every other week. We commute half as much, we still get our layover deduction, are not broke down physically by age 40 and why in the hell would I want to trade 544 miles with one drop and 229 triple miles for 400 miles and work the dock. I mean seriously! I get all the exercise I need in the winter chaining trucks in my flowered flip flops and fur lined leather thong.

I don't think you will find many if any line drivers that will want to start doing dock work just to get a couple of extra hours. Besides we already get paid for waiting in the break room. If they take that away, that would be like taking away another benefit and just asking for the big "u" talk to get started big time.

Be careful River,,, if a U company buys us,,, (GOD for bid) all those out of work drivers will bump alot of us out of work....

Their HUB system is the same as our break bulk.
The big difference being that their satellite terminals are within 250 miles from the HUB or less.
Also I think that their HUB could be in a smaller town instead of our break bulks being in the major cities. For example some of our major break bulk terminals are:
SAC, WHT, FTA, SLC, POR, DEN, PHX.
East instead from what I can figure, will put a break bulk (HUB) in a small town like Lincoln, IL., and then service both Chicago and St. Louis.
This makes sense if you are building trailers going to the west coast. You have all that freight from both those big cities going into one trailer going to WHT.

One of the main reasons LIN is a hub is the distance between STL and CGX/CGT and IL being a 55mph state. It is a small center St Louis and Chicago are also hubs and most Hubs are in major cities, STL, KCY, IND ETC.... LOL

FM

Be careful River,,, if a U company buys us,,, (GOD for bid) all those out of work drivers will bump alot of us out of work....

365Volare :1036316054:

No way!!!
They will just want to stay home and get paid while they watch us do all the work.
Besides they have not figured out how to dovetail the Yellow and Roadway seniority yet.
If they buy us out they would go to the bottom of our board and start their seniority like if they were new employees.

seniorty

i would probably be the happiest person at fedex if we went to one seniorty board or at least try a time and title system like some of the other trucklines.