TForce | September

Apostolic said:
Carquest is replacement car parts,I looked at their web sight.
We already are hauling some of their stuff.
I've delivered this stuff to house deliveries this summer.

So now UPS Freight is going to be swaped with all of these parts?

Gee wiz being a P&D driver I'll get to see a lot more of this stuff up close and personal.
What happened to the good old days when most deliveries were dropped off at loading docks?

Well if we go union the end of the truck sounds about rite to me.:whistle:

krash said:
What does UPS have going on with them?

There has been a rumor ever since UPS bought us that they have a contract with yellow to move their heavy freight.
Then I heard it was with OD, then I heard it is with Conway.

If there is a contract with anyone, it would make sense to keep it "in house" (as long as the pricing is comparable), but nothing but a rumor so far.

greezy trucker said:
Go to SLC, DVR or LAS and watch 'em go ....Company guys sitting at home....This is what gets me, we are not all expeirencing the bliss that you O guys back east are...If you are at a mixed terminal thing that make no sense are happening but hey if it is OK out of your windshield then everyone else needs to shut up, RIGHT!!!!!!?????? And give the spell check crap a rest, are we in school to corrected by you or.......If you can't read it move on and quit using others to make yourself feel better....

I asked my Line Haul Manager about the use of contractors(while we were slow over the winter) and he said they only use subs for long haul.
So, unless your a sleeper team, it shouldn't really affect you when you see a contractor pulling our freight.

I know at my terminal, some of the guys that complain about sitting are the same guys who, if asked to cover a sleeper bid, would say "hell no"...but then complain about not getting enough work....or refuse to work weekends and complain if they only get 3 or 4 trips.

The freight business is weird...it is different all the time as far as busy/slow.
For line haul, it seems busy Thursday through Monday....which means if you are willing to work weekends, you should get enough trips to meet your requirements. If you won't work weekends, don't complain about not getting your trips.
I can't speak for the whole system, but I know in the east it seems to be that way.
I don't like working weekends either, but I have a mortgage to pay, and until I have enough seniority to hold a decent schedule(which will be many years), I will be working as many as I have to.

I don't want to run sleeper either, but I did it while freight was slow and had a nice check every week to make it worthwhile.

And Greezy....this wasn't necessarily directed at you, I just used your post to reply...and then when I get on a rant...LOL...you know.
I have spoken to you before....I do hope it gets better out there, and everywhere in the system.

And about your spelling.....just kidding:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
There has been a rumor ever since UPS bought us that they have a contract with yellow to move their heavy freight.

If there is a contract with anyone, it would make sense to keep it "in house" (as long as the pricing is comparable), but nothing but a rumor so far.

Glad,

I can't speak for Yellow or Conway, but here at Roadway, we have been picking up what we call Certified Pick Ups for a few years now. We also make many pick ups at the UPS stores via UPS Logistics. One thing all these pickups have in common is that they use a UPS tracking number instead of a Roadway Pro Number......hope this helps.

Apostolic said:
Carquest is replacement car parts,I looked at their web sight.
We already are hauling some of their stuff.
I've delivered this stuff to house deliveries this summer.

So now UPS Freight is going to be swamped with all of these parts?

Gee whiz being a P&D driver I'll get to see a lot more of this stuff up close and personal.
What happened to the good old days when most deliveries were dropped off at loading docks?

In today's day and age, with home business ownership at an all time high, you will continue to see it.

On that same note...there are guys complaining about not getting enough work...and then complaining about having to work when its there.
Too bad we don't live in a perfect world where we could pay our bills and not have to do anything in return.:rofl2:

Animo916 said:
Glad,

I can't speak for Yellow or Conway, but here at Roadway, we have been picking up what we call Certified Pick Ups for a few years now. We also make many pick ups at the UPS stores via UPS Logistics. One thing all these pickups have in common is that they use a UPS tracking number instead of a Roadway Pro Number......hope this helps.

Yes, I think UPS Logistics is where the rumored freight is supposed to be from.

Does UPS Freight use any extra drivers to cover..

P&D drivers when their off on vacation,for a week,or two,or even a day,or two?

When I was in the Teamsters they call extras either spares,or casuals depending on what part of the country your from.

These are workers that are on call on an as needed baces.
They need to be available when whatever company they were trying to get on with needs them,for any shift,also any class.
Untill something opens up for them to get steadier employement at that company.

I'm a P&D Driver working out of Rochester, New York.
My terminal is one of the smaller ones in the system.

We use extra help,from an employment agent,once in a great,great while if we get backed up,and service may suffer being short handed.

Seeing I'm P&D I don't have anyway of knowing what goes on in other parts of the UPS Freight operation outside this truckingboard.

If this is so that there are no extra help brought in,by UPS Freight everywhere.

Than when road work is slow with some road drivers sitting home,why couldn't they fill in for P&D's,or even dockworkers that take time off,or whenever the freight starts backing up because of a lack of city drivers?
Just woundering?

It does get slow parts of the year,thats just the way Americas economy runs.

Most of the year we have enough work at my terminal to keep everyone working.
It may not always be full time.
But anything to do is better than sitting home.

Its ok for a while but it gets old before very long.
Unless you can collect unemployment benefits,its nice to at least have some money coming in.

I asked my Line Haul Manager about the use of contractors(while we were slow over the winter) and he said they only use subs for long haul.
So, unless your a sleeper team, it shouldn't really affect you when you see a contractor pulling our freight.

I know at my terminal, some of the guys that complain about sitting are the same guys who, if asked to cover a sleeper bid, would say "hell no"...but then complain about not getting enough work....or refuse to work weekends and complain if they only get 3 or 4 trips.

The freight business is weird...it is different all the time as far as busy/slow.
For line haul, it seems busy Thursday through Monday....which means if you are willing to work weekends, you should get enough trips to meet your requirements. If you won't work weekends, don't complain about not getting your trips.
I can't speak for the whole system, but I know in the east it seems to be that way.
I don't like working weekends either, but I have a mortgage to pay, and until I have enough seniority to hold a decent schedule(which will be many years), I will be working as many as I have to.

I don't want to run sleeper either, but I did it while freight was slow and had a nice check every week to make it worthwhile.

And Greezy....this wasn't necessarily directed at you, I just used your post to reply...and then when I get on a rant...LOL...you know.
I have spoken to you before....I do hope it gets better out there, and everywhere in the system.

And about your spelling.....just kidding:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
I don't understand, if your manager says it then it is gospel and if a person that is in the middle of it we are just crying and making stuff up??????? And if there are trailers running right thru where a person lives with contractors everyday then why should we be the ones to have to go out of town or whatever to work?

You lost me with the spell thing. It was aimed at the person that posted just to make himself feel better. And if I can't spell you all get the jist of what I am saying, so good enough.

Do not forget alot of these contract's were made with SCS prior to our buyout.

And alot of of the movement is directed by the consighnee in most cases. What control SCS does have may not go through us (Or at least all of it) because of "cornering the market" clauses as well.

One fine example is St. Johnbury being owned by sun oil corp. The oil \ Diesel St. Johnsbury was buying came from sun oil. Therefore the diesel they burned and Oil was thier own in essence giving the company the write off, collecting on that write off as a loss in the end of fiscal on P/L report. Which gives them the rite to collect on that loss from the government, while making 90% truck profit.