XPO | Service rank

A employee should be allowed to bid on certain route at the time the company allows.
I think you're forgetting who works for whom- but the issue is that there's no flexibility in that method. What happens if your run isn't ready? They don't need you on the dock- they've already got an inbound crew. You are hired to drive a truck- why would they pay you to do something else if they have a truck for you to drive?
Which makes it more efficient IMO because a driver is better with dels/put in an area he is familiar with and which company stops receiving or stops shipping etc.
Maybe, but speed trumps efficiency here. Send it out as soon as you possibly can. That's why we have to wait for a door behind another XPO at a customer sometimes, but we don't just pile up freight so Bob can have his peddle.

And really, now that just about everyone has a phone with Google you should be able to keep up a reasonable pace. Yeah, you won't have the same relationships with the customers as Bob, but aren't we all providing the same service? You can make them happy for a day or two here and there.

FWIW, I despise taking a different route and finding lunch/break times the hard way- but I understand the reasoning, and it really doesn't happen that often.

At my barn linehaul guys get to bid their tractors. They choose at bid time what trucks are going on which lane and seniority decides which one you want from that lane

If you have regular route drivers if they are running late customer will take it, if you need something moved they do it. You know lunch schedules, extra shipments go to the driver they know. It's a safety issue for everyone to drive around lost. Regular drivers know what doors to back into and what man door to walk in. For a time issue and service issue it only makes sense to have route

If you have regular route drivers if they are running late customer will take it, if you need something moved they do it. You know lunch schedules, extra shipments go to the driver they know. It's a safety issue for everyone to drive around lost. Regular drivers know what doors to back into and what man door to walk in. For a time issue and service issue it only makes sense to have route
Exactly!!!!!

Yes I agree with you 100% but we have one problem. The ones that can't see past their computer screen don't see it that way. Number are good but what most of these bean counters forget is you have to look past the number to see why it is the way it is

But majority of city freight have their guaranteed areas where the freight will be delivered. Example out of my area guys bids early city location so he comes in breaks trailers til his trailer is filled with area then leaves at certain cut time. Second man does same thing til his is full then leaves and wild man has 1-5 stops going a little everywhere but a certain direction and helps on clean up on return. Though Holland has city guys who leave yard between 12-2pm with routes if they can deliver they will try it.
From you pic I'm guessing you don't work for xpo. I believe in keeping the same guys in the same area, but so bosses don't see it that way. The other problem is we do not have cut times you can leave when you have all you freight. They don't care if its 9am with 6 stop or 12 with 12 stops. Right now they are jamming the truck with as many stops as they can with no regard for appointments or pickups know it that area.
We are a dying breed and our upper management is being filled with bean counters and thumb suckers. I remember back in the day when your boss was a driver and now our bosses can barely get there car out of the parking space at the yard. I have stop fighting the system and now when a customer starts bitch to me I tell them to call my TM and give them the number I just do what I told.

Every driver should know every route. Keeping a guy on one run doesn't make sense. We had a guy who had a heavy run daily. He got it done. He got hurt. Not one other driver who took that run could get all the freight off. We bid start times because the freight is never the same.
That works in a perfect world. Before I retired, Con-Way would rotate FOSs so they would know all FOS jobs. The reality was that none were proficient at any job.

At my barn the inbound fos keeps drivers in the same area for the most part. It makes it easy for him. Morning and flex driver bounce around.

Senior drivers run the same peddles every day. The flex board runs whatever. You learn the whole city one way or another. And figure out where you don't want to be so that when you get enough time in that you don't ever have to go back there any more. But that if they did need you to cover it one day, it wouldn't be a problem and you could get yourself a few brownie points for helping out.

Every driver should know every route. Keeping a guy on one run doesn't make sense. We had a guy who had a heavy run daily. He got it done. He got hurt. Not one other driver who took that run could get all the freight off. We bid start times because the freight is never the same.
we got peddle drivers and volume drivers that has been on the same route for 10 or 12 years, it makes alot of sense to keep the same driver on the same route. I wish they would go to a 6 month bid

Slippery after a snowfall. A hazard up here for six months! We did give this a go. It flat out failed. We're too dynamic, too many variables.
by the way speaking of snow, what do you think the reason is for giving away free cleats, I;m thinkin the lots won't plowed and salted as good as they used to

we got peddle drivers and volume drivers that has been on the same route for 10 or 12 years, it makes alot of sense to keep the same driver on the same route. I wish they would go to a 6 month bid

If you go to a six month bid, which six ? People will look to dodge the weather. In our company there is no penalty for bidding anything. People would flip flop based on the seasons. At my terminal the JSP takes six weeks. They would need to stream line that as well.

Some guys run the same places for years and years. Other guys do more of an area. Where it's different stops based on what freight gets back when, but still in the same part of town. Some spots are also far more dense with customers than others. So, you might literally be talking about the difference of this side or that side of the street.

by the way speaking of snow, what do you think the reason is for giving away free cleats, I;m thinkin the lots won't plowed and salted as good as they used to

People keep slipping between the trailers. Cost the company a mess of money in broken limbs. Now they can blame you if you fall. Why weren't you wearing your cleats ?

it would be nice if every driver knew all the runs, but would be impossible in the real world, because you will never know all the customers. The way I run a different run then I'm use to is try to remember to big customer or the ones that we service every day. That way if you have a ten stop peddle run you might only have say three or four that you have never heard of or gone to. I have a set run for the last 8 years but can cover up to 5 different run and only be a little slower then the normal driver and I ask other drivers if they have heard of customer to get idea of location and doors to use and stuff like that

CCX used to have a 6 month bid years ago. They stopped it because guys would run city in winter and road in summer. Did not seem fair I guess.

If you go to a six month bid, which six ? People will look to dodge the weather. In our company there is no penalty for bidding anything. People would flip flop based on the seasons. At my terminal the JSP takes six weeks. They would need to stream line that as well.

Some guys run the same places for years and years. Other guys do more of an area. Where it's different stops based on what freight gets back when, but still in the same part of town. Some spots are also far more dense with customers than others. So, you might literally be talking about the difference of this side or that side of the street.

The reason it takes soooooo long to bid is the stupid ways it done. You could bid almost all the barns in a week (as long as no ones off). We started ours and we are at 4 weeks. We all hear about seniority this and seniority that so let bid it that way instead of this stupid bid sheet. What need to be done is the TM or HR person call the #1 man in and he pick what we wants by printing and signing his name. Then he call in the #2man and does the same and so on and so on. The best part about this is when you walk in and see the list you know what is open and when you leave you know what you got. The only additional sheet that would need to be filled out is the line haul run sheet if you take a line haul bid. There is no reason a city guy should have to put bids in on the line haul end or vs versa. At any time durning the year if shift/runs are added then the TM or HR starts back at the #1 man and goes down the list until everything is filled. If shifts/runs are cancelled then the guys that had their shifts/runs cancelled can bump anyone junior to the and so on until you get to the bottom guy.
Over the years I have bided many different companies and the Con-way/XPO way is the most F##ked up one I have ever seen

it would be nice if every driver knew all the runs, but would be impossible in the real world, because you will never know all the customers. The way I run a different run then I'm use to is try to remember to big customer or the ones that we service every day. That way if you have a ten stop peddle run you might only have say three or four that you have never heard of or gone to. I have a set run for the last 8 years but can cover up to 5 different run and only be a little slower then the normal driver and I ask other drivers if they have heard of customer to get idea of location and doors to use and stuff like that

You sound like a 630 start. No way I'll ever hear a 1030 start say that.

People keep slipping between the trailers. Cost the company a mess of money in broken limbs. Now they can blame you if you fall. Why weren't you wearing your cleats ?
We had a guy fell on ICSE while checking the fifth wheel jaw. Never came back to work. I would love to know what that cost them.