service update

silvertooth

TB Lurker
Credits
from oakh.com
Dear Valued Customer,

We are happy to report that the Oak Harbor team is back fully serving our customers. Here are some new items to report to you:
Sure, whats left of them, wouldn't take all that much capacity to service %18 of your former base. The lack of freight is evident by the piles of empty trailers some even sitting in off site rented yards.
* We have had over seventy five (75) represented people who have returned to our team.

Wow, 12.5 percent or 75 out of 600 the majority of whom are office personnel with close family ties to supervisors/owners
* We reopened our Moses Lake Terminal on Monday.
* We fully are rolled out in our system so we are 100% operational.

You fully rolled out your system? Is it some kind of rug or something?
* We continue to grow our business back in all of our districts throughout the system.

Translation, we are finally able to make pickups, previously we were so understaffed we were unable to accommodate.
* No new talks are scheduled.
* We are in the midst of hiring permanent replacements.

Watch you local news outlet or youtube to see them in action!
* We are having some peaceful ambulatory picketing following some of our trucks. We live in free America and they have that right. You as a customer have rights too, so there are several ways to manage this. Please see attached document, if you have further questions please call your account manager on this.
* Some of our customers are taking a wait and see attitude. We can understand that. If it is a service concern we want to win your trust back. We would like to get your support and earn your trust back.

Translation: Where did all out freight go? We though everyone would like to ship with a company throws loyal employees with years of service out on the street, then hires people with records of theft to replace them.

On behalf of Ed and myself, we are indeed thankful in your trust in having our team handle your freight. We will continue to communicate to you as new developments happen.

We want to assure you that our plan is to celebrate our 100th Anniversary in 2016 and that you are a key part of that plan. We appreciate your business and look forward to continue providing you with our premier service.

Sincerely,

David Vander Pol

Translation: We fortunately have been squandering away a huge sum of money, so we will be able to operate without profit for quite some time. We would like to thank you for your trust, as felons with considerable criminal records pilfer through your freight, and drivers with DUI convictions constantly endanger your families livelihoods on the street.

Our 100th anniversary if it ever occurs will be cloaked, in the pain and suffering of the hundreds of people who dedicated their lives to growing this business, that we so arrogantly dismissed. May god bless us in our constant struggle to take advantage of the working class, we have so much money it doesn't really matter how this all ends and we didn't gain it from the hard work of these saps on the street, or their willingness to help save this company at a time when it was struggling.

How will the company explain this service update to the customers that were told that the strike was over or that it was only for one day? That conversation would be interesting between customer and company. Oh wait just lie more to cover your a$$!

New service update 11/4

From Oak Harbor Freight Lines, Inc.

November 4, 2008

To our Valued Customer,

This last week has been impressive and I want to highlight some facts for you. Oak Harbor achieved 98.6% on time service for the week and there were less damage notations made at delivery, as a percent of all deliveries, than was noted in October of last year. This demonstrates that we are providing the on-time service that we pride ourselves in and that we are taking very good care of your shipments.I guess its kinda hard to damage stuff when a pallet gets a whole trailer to itself We are also happy to announce that this week we are reopening our Salem, Oregon facility. Since the start of the strike we have been servicing that market out of Portland.

We continue to provide better service than our competition with our exceptional people. If by exceptional you me lowlife traders and strikebreakers We haveumm I mean had great people working in all our facilities. Except for our Auburn and Portland facilities, your shipments are being handled by many of the same Oak Harbor employees that handled our freight prior to the strike. To date, 124 of our represented employees have returned to work. A number of employees from our unrepresented terminals have also been helping at some represented terminals. This ensures Oak Harbor quality.

Our staffing vendor also see "strikebreaker" has furnished us with their DOT qualified employees to man our Auburn and Portland terminals. The staffing company is paying competitive wages and time and one-half for hours worked over 40 hours per week. Most of these individuals have been here since the first week of the strike and are doing a good job for the staffing company.

We are meeting with the Teamster negotiating committee this Friday, November 7, in mediation for a one day meeting. We hope to make progress from our previous meeting. That must be why the letters posted on oakhanswers directly contradict this statement, why you have limited negotiations to one day rather that three as was requested by the union

One matter still unresolved is the Unfair Labor Practice charges filed by the Teamsters Union against Oak Harbor. We believe there is no merit to these charges.I could have sworn they sent out letter stating that the indiscretions charged did occur, am I wrong? We are hopeful the National Labor Relations Board will issue their findings soon.

We want to reiterate that Oak Harbor is very committed to a contract we can live with and be proud of. You may have heard us make this statement before. To us this means a language and economic package that allows us to be competitive in our industry while still being able to attract and retain the best employees.

The collective bargaining process is inherently complex and time consuming. We want you to know that we are continuing to do all we can to move this process forward. that must be why they don't want to meet for three days to resolve the issues as the Teamsters requested

We will try to give you an update any time we have new information to share. Until then, on behalf of all the employees at Oak Harbor, thank you for continuing to support the hundreds of working families that make up Oak Harbor Freight Lines. Yeah, because they're all about the "working families"!

Sincerely,

David Vander Pol
Co-President

This letter to me signifies the desperation of the Vanderpols at this point, it is painfully obvious that strike efforts are very effective. Otherwise, I could see no reason for the mention of overtime after 40 hours for the strikebreakers, or the mention of hundreds of working families, also telling is the desire to shorten the duration of the proposed contract. They contradict their own postings, they have had to pull testimonials, I heard today gap sales is down over 12% one of the largest retail losses of the quarter.October is tough for Gap Inc. - San Francisco Business Times:

Don't let up, bring this information to customers, let them know how callous and dishonest the VP's really are, it's amazing to think how little all this is over. All they had to do was throw in $3 or $4 dollars over the life of the contract (5 years?) for the union to split between pension and wages and leave everything as it was.

The 100 year anniversary statement is now notably missing.

...also telling is the desire to shorten the duration of the proposed contract.

Just to clarify, it was the Teamsters bargaining committee who asked to change the duration of the proposal from five years to three years. I believe the reason they gave was that because of the current shaky economy that it would probably be in the best interest of all involved to go with a three year plan. I personally agree, but that's just my opinion. Anyone else have thoughts on this particular issue, duration? Do you think a shorter contract is beneficial to either side in particular, or do you think it matters at all either way?

Just to clarify, it was the Teamsters bargaining committee who asked to change the duration of the proposal from five years to three years. I believe the reason they gave was that because of the current shaky economy that it would probably be in the best interest of all involved to go with a three year plan. I personally agree, but that's just my opinion. Anyone else have thoughts on this particular issue, duration? Do you think a shorter contract is beneficial to either side in particular, or do you think it matters at all either way?

I stand corrected. As an employee I would feel more secure in knowing that I have a longer term labor agreement, especially considering all the BS Oak Harbor tries to pull every time.

Especially when it takes them 2 years to even try and settle a contract. If they only go 3 years they will pull what they did last time. 1 of those years has already expired so in 2 years we could go thru this again.

The hand written note to Al at the oct 9 meeting said that the duration may be not be appropriate, it doesn't mean it is to long...

I am calling BS on this statement.:toxic:

The Teamster bargaining committee wanted to change the duration of the proposal given by the company from three years to five years. It was the company that said they would consider this but and could not immediately give an answer because of the shaky economy.

Makes a heck of a lot more sense to me. I will personally vote no on any proposal less than five years in duration. I sick of sitting around without a raise or any hopes of getting retro pay while negotiations drag on for over a year. I know a lot of fellow Teamsters who feel the same way.

The hand written note to Al at the oct 9 meeting said that the duration may be not be appropriate, it doesn't mean it is to long...

While it was never stated explicitly that Al thought the duration was too long, according to the cover sheet attached to the copy of the offer that I have, it states that Al mentioned the Duration of the offer and whether it was appropriate, and states "The Employer is in the process of evaluating whether a 5-year contract is still an appropriate Duration. It is possible that a shorter agreement makes more sense for everyone, given the economy, the Union's comments about Duration and our current circumstances." This was taken from a notice that was given to the Union at the Mediation meeting on 10/9/08. From that, I deduced that the Union's intent was to negotiate changing the duration to a 3-year deal, and that the company seems amenable to it so far. Since it was not explicitly stated that Al meant for the contract to have a shorter duration, it is possible, though in my opinion not plausible, that he intended to negotiate a longer contract. I will qualify my earlier statement by saying that it was my interpretation of the facts, and should be taken as such. As usual, my intention is to get information out there so we can all make choices based on facts rather than conjecture and gossip.

So, here are the facts as I see them:

1. Inital LBF Duration was 5 years (article 24).
2. In mediation Al Hobart addressed the issue of Duration and posited that a 5-year contract might not be appropriate.
3. OAKH came back on 10/9/08 withdrawing the Duration clause and advising the Union that they were considering whether a shorter Duration would be beneficial to all parties.

I am calling BS on this statement.:toxic:

The Teamster bargaining committee wanted to change the duration of the proposal given by the company from three years to five years. It was the company that said they would consider this but and could not immediately give an answer because of the shaky economy.

Makes a heck of a lot more sense to me. I will personally vote no on any proposal less than five years in duration. I sick of sitting around without a raise or any hopes of getting retro pay while negotiations drag on for over a year. I know a lot of fellow Teamsters who feel the same way.

PM me if you want a copy of the LBF and related documents. If you have a copy of it, which you can get from your union rep, the Duration is clause 24 which is on page 51 of Document #8. The explanation of the Duration is on page 90, which is the end of the Wage Addendum. Here's what it says: "This contract expires five (5) years from the first day of the month following adoption of the Agreement in 2008. Duration Article will so reflect."

I will personally vote no on any proposal less than five years in duration. I sick of sitting around without a raise or any hopes of getting retro pay while negotiations drag on for over a year. I know a lot of fellow Teamsters who feel the same way.

But does the people that are negotiating your contract know that? Since Al is requesting a shorter contract and you guys are wanting a longer contract, either Al has not been told the need of a longer contract or he doesn't care what the members are wanting. Or, he is saying he knows better to run your life then yourself.

174 Rules so SUCK IT!!

Yawn!! You are a bore. Your propaganda is tired and reeks of desperation.

When it comes to my best interests, I'll trust my local over this company, any day!

Underestimated, if you are going to trust a group of people to run lives for others, then what is left for personal goals and direction. Maybe Underestimated the Union........?

Underestimated, if you are going to trust a group of people to run lives for others, then what is left for personal goals and direction. Maybe Underestimated the Union........?

Most of the people on this board are truck drivers. We respect the knowledge of our union leaders. We have the right to vote yes or no. UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL:TR10driving03::TR10driving03:

I guess that is where we find the difference between you and I, because I'll never trust anyone but God and myself with my best interests.

Ya that shows why your posts are so... uhm.... interesting??? LOL

You only trust in yourself and something that does not exist. Brilliant!!!

Local 174 Rocks, OHFL management SUCK IT!

How full of oneself can a person get. You never question yourself because you are so damn flawless. You're too good for us.:bowdown:

The Union doesn't run my life. The Teamsters have only improved pay, benefits, and working conditions of my chosen profession. Local 174 kept abuses committed by OHFL management in check. That is why the company is throwing away so much money to break from them.

I could choose, of my own free will, to go to any union/non-union trucking company and work. I could even cross the line. So many alternatives. I am choosing, of my own free will, to stay and picket.

I want to WORK TO LIVE, not LIVE TO WORK, and it is because of locals like 174 that I can have that opportunity.:USA:

Morale is high on my shift outside the gates in Auburn. We will stay until a resolution is reached or until the bitter end.