Holland | Several Reasons To Vote YES

Hmmmm, the solution to these is lose my job or take a 25% wage cut, by voting yes!!!

I Vote NO!!!! :smillie_flag:

A yes vote only makes you another statistic. Fight for your job, your wage, your family and your lifestyle!!! :funky:

Times are tough

I agree, but that would be possible if all other factors were on the upswing on the economic level. The economy is in the crapper not much to bargain with.
As for job loss, that's debatable even after (IF) the contract goes thru, they may not stay afloat or sell part or all regionals... But who's gonna buy a freight company in todays market?:1036316054:

The last Hoorah (grapevine word is)

This ones it. No goin back. Not this time. Chips are down and that's why they are working hard to get it passed. Save Teamster Jobs! Read between the lines.:smilie_132:

I agree, but that would be possible if all other factors were on the upswing on the economic level. The economy is in the crapper not much to bargain with.
As for job loss, that's debatable even after (IF) the contract goes thru, they may not stay afloat or sell part or all regionals... But who's gonna buy a freight company in todays market?:1036316054:

SS, as much as I would like to disagree with you, I can't. The American economy certainly is in the crapper and there is very little we can do about it individually.
There are some good points in the proposed contract: wage increases, steady health benefits, increased pension contributions and the ability to change barns in the event of a lay-off.
The items I think are problems in the proposed contract are not so much bad things as they are insufficiently defined. Much greater clarity is needed concerning: Utility drivers, 4 hour casuals and the use of non-union cartage companies in ever increasing percentages over the life of the contract.
There are supposedly Memorandums of Understanding concerning many of the "gray areas" of these problem sections. However, there is a history of bending, twisting and even breaking the items that are not spelled out in the contract itself.
Sad to say, I don't even trust the leaders of the Teamster's Union on many issues and certainly don't trust the company. Without clearly spelled out articles in the contract, we can not depend on people looking for those loopholes to be honest, moral or ethical.
Not only is our economy in the crapper but I believe, in general, that corporate executives worship nothing more than the almighty dollar and fear nothing but their board of directors.
As Ronald Reagan said: "Trust but verify." Our only means of verification is by the articles written into the contract. Even with that, it is sometimes impossible to keep our jobs secure. Without it, it is truly impossible.

SS, as much as I would like to disagree with you, I can't. The American economy certainly is in the crapper and there is very little we can do about it individually.
There are some good points in the proposed contract: wage increases, steady health benefits, increased pension contributions and the ability to change barns in the event of a lay-off.
The items I think are problems in the proposed contract are not so much bad things as they are insufficiently defined. Much greater clarity is needed concerning: Utility drivers, 4 hour casuals and the use of non-union cartage companies in ever increasing percentages over the life of the contract.
There are supposedly Memorandums of Understanding concerning many of the "gray areas" of these problem sections. However, there is a history of bending, twisting and even breaking the items that are not spelled out in the contract itself.
Sad to say, I don't even trust the leaders of the Teamster's Union on many issues and certainly don't trust the company. Without clearly spelled out articles in the contract, we can not depend on people looking for those loopholes to be honest, moral or ethical.
Not only is our economy in the crapper but I believe, in general, that corporate executives worship nothing more than the almighty dollar and fear nothing but their board of directors.
As Ronald Reagan said: "Trust but verify." Our only means of verification is by the articles written into the contract. Even with that, it is sometimes impossible to keep our jobs secure. Without it, it is truly impossible.

Excellent post:1036316054:

SS, as much as I would like to disagree with you, I can't. The American economy certainly is in the crapper and there is very little we can do about it individually. You Can Vote NO!
Sad to say, I don't even trust the leaders of the Teamster's Union on many issues and certainly don't trust the company. Thats any of us with any sense! Without clearly spelled out articles in the contract, we can not depend on people looking for those loopholes to be honest, moral or ethical.

JUST VOTE NO! Great Post!

I know this is not the popular vote, but I am voting yes for this contract as is nearly 100% of the city and dock at my barn. OTR drivers, now thats a different story.

Whats the matter GRIZZ, change your mind along with the 100% voting yes at your terminal? I got the email message of your quote! Why did you delete it?:hysterical:

Maybe not the most popular vote, but I,m voting yes as is nearly 100% of our dock and city board. We all know changes have to be made and now is the time with current condition of our company. What is ironic, most every contract that I've been involved with(5), the (road) has benefited the most. As everyone knows, the road operation is the most costly in our system. Naturally thats where the cuts are based. Utility driver is suppose to be the equalizer. I'll believe it, when I see it. It may effect Yellow, but in our case, it will be used to move expedited and screw-up's. Resently a lot of us senior guys at ME have seen signs of Holland returning to its former self, starting with the Holland flyer, TM's taking control of their terminals and the restructuring of our service lanes. And maybe this is a precursor for "Bennys Big Announcement next month". HA, Ha Please understand that my views are based on being a city driver. I've been at the center of the industries heartbeat for more than 30 years. These small changes that are in front of us is minor compared the outcome of a lock-out or strike. GRIZZ

Whats the matter GRIZZ, change your mind along with the 100% voting yes at your terminal? I got the email message of your quote! Why did you delete it?:hysterical:
Shoeman do me a favor, when I delete a post, please don't rewrite it on the board. Thanks Grizz

Grizz said:
Maybe not the most popular vote, but I,m voting yes as is nearly 100% of our dock and city board. We all know changes have to be made and now is the time with current condition of our company. What is ironic, most every contract that I've been involved with(5), the (road) has benefited the most. As everyone knows, the road operation is the most costly in our system. Naturally thats where the cuts are based. Utility driver is suppose to be the equalizer. I'll believe it, when I see it. It may effect Yellow, but in our case, it will be used to move expedited and screw-up's. Resently a lot of us senior guys at ME have seen signs of Holland returning to its former self, starting with the Holland flyer, TM's taking control of their terminals and the restructuring of our service lanes. And maybe this is a precursor for "Bennys Big Announcement next month". HA, Ha Please understand that my views are based on being a city driver. I've been at the center of the industries heartbeat for more than 30 years. These small changes that are in front of us is minor compared the outcome of a lock-out or strike. GRIZZ

Hey Grizz, I think you kinda lost sight of the goal with this post. As has been stated in many other posts, we don't have to go on strike. We can work indefinitely under extensions while negotiations continue. I understand that a lock-out would be out of our hands but that would not be in the best interests of YRCW. Just because we are asking for clarification and expansion of the articles for the new portions of the proposed contract, that does not mean strike. Since it is in the best interests of all concerned, management and union, it would not surprise me if they did not get it all worked out, printed and ready for us to vote on prior to the end of the current contract.
As I have said several times, this is not a bad contract but there are several areas which need clarification and for some of the memorandums of "understanding" to be written into the contract clauses itself. Enjoy the weekend.

Sevenn I took your advice and looked back through the post. I respect your post #5 and its valuable info. But it also reinforces my stance in my post. I for one in 1994 saw one of the strongest reg-carriers (HMES) lose tons of business. We've never been the same since. For what gains did HMES acquire in 94? Our operation isn't based on part-timers. My point is in 94 HMES was as strong financially

I can't even believe that any union guy would mention the name of that president in a union forum. We would all be in better shape right now if we would have walked off our union jobs when this union buster president fired the air traffic controllers. We could have shut this country down and sent the message right then and there that as a union we would not tolerate a president of a country or president of a company disregard of union contracts.