Holland | Several Reasons To Vote YES

vote yes?

If things are as bad as YRCW would have us believe and we give them these givebacks they want, then what? Do you think when things are better they will give us what we deserve? Poor management does not require givebacks. It requires new management. To many Teamsters have to many bills and only care for themselves. Being a Teamsters once had meaning and pride. I say it's time to be proud again.
Remember this corporation has many companies and can move freight around to make things look bad. Stop being scared and be a Teamster and remember what Brotherhood is about.

Jarhead I don't know what somebodies finances has to do with being a good Teamster, but all I can say is I do my share boosting the economy. HA HA. Seriously this company has made it possible for me and my family to prosper the last 19 years. This has nothing to do with my intentions of voting yes and working with my local officials elected by the members to make the best of this contract. Your right about management being so bad. In case you haven't noticed, the good union managers and sales rep's are leaving us in droves. Non-union carriers can offer better pay and operational flexability. In Me I can't think of one manager that has been with HMES more than 3 years. Thats sup's. dispatchers and TMs included. GRIZZ

holland already has part timers they are called layed off employees. there is already enough company flexability. no need to give up anything else .maybe they should operate the way we use to before yrc. JUST VOTE NO.

I can't even believe that any union guy would mention the name of that president in a union forum. We would all be in better shape right now if we would have walked off our union jobs when this union buster president fired the air traffic controllers. We could have shut this country down and sent the message right then and there that as a union we would not tolerate a president of a country or president of a company disregard of union contracts.
You should tell them youngin that Mr. R put us UNIONmen where we are today and to remeber those days.:1036316054::nutkick:We better still VOTE NO until they can clean up these GRAY AREAS, I'm tired off hearing to FILE a GRIEVANCE only to hear the local not know ANYTHING.

Jarhead I don't know what somebodies finances has to do with being a good Teamster, but all I can say is I do my share boosting the economy. HA HA. Seriously this company has made it possible for me and my family to prosper the last 19 years. This has nothing to do with my intentions of voting yes and working with my local officials elected by the members to make the best of this contract. Your right about management being so bad. In case you haven't noticed, the good union managers and sales rep's are leaving us in droves. Non-union carriers can offer better pay and operational flexability. In Me I can't think of one manager that has been with HMES more than 3 years. Thats sup's. dispatchers and TMs included. GRIZZ

This is the "Not Me" attitude that might pass this contract!!! If the contract passes Grizz, I can only hope they close Holland, put you guys out of work and my job prospers. Only then obviously would you be forced to suffer the consequences of your decision. That said, I feel the utmost sorrow for those brothers fighting, that might suffer the same fate as a result of it. Its the people that take the "It won't affect me directly, so its okay" attitude, that have weakend the teamsters. You think you're high and mighty, because you've prospered all these years due to the sweat of fellow teamsters, backing your job!!! Now your content to sell out the brothers lower in seniority to you, because it fits in with your retirement agenda!!!

You should tell them youngin that Mr. R put us UNIONmen where we are today and to remeber those days.:1036316054::nutkick:We better still VOTE NO until they can clean up these GRAY AREAS, I'm tired off hearing to FILE a GRIEVANCE only to hear the local not know ANYTHING.

A Yellow union steward went to a second level hearing in Columbus and was having a hearing that was covered under a Memorandum of Agreement. The official ruling from the comittee was, if it is not in the contract, it does not count. The wording of the contract rules over a Memorandum of Agreement.

This is the "Not Me" attitude that might pass this contract!!! If the contract passes Grizz, I can only hope they close Holland, put you guys out of work and my job prospers. Only then obviously would you be forced to suffer the consequences of your decision. That said, I feel the utmost sorrow for those brothers fighting, that might suffer the same fate as a result of it. Its the people that take the "It won't affect me directly, so its okay" attitude, that have weakend the teamsters. You think you're high and mighty, because you've prospered all these years due to the sweat of fellow teamsters, backing your job!!! Now your content to sell out the brothers lower in seniority to you, because it fits in with your retirement agenda!!!
Wow Waggs spoken as a true OTR driver. I wouldn't even comment on the "prosper BS", but to wish for 10,000 teamsters to be put out of work because my views are different than yours, you need to get a life. "The FIGHT" crap is old hat. Waggs why don't ya bid the UE job and get a taste of my world. Get a clue about what the freight world is all about. Watch the non's like hungry sharks just waiting on the first hint off contract problems. Wake-up man times are changing and if we don't change were all gone anyway. Retirement agenda, what a freaking joke. I've got 11 years---never happen. I'm a sell-out , well take a look down the board and maybe UPS might be who you need to throw your sellout comments at. GRIZZ

Grizz, I'm with you. But The...

Maybe not the most popular vote, but I,m voting yes as is nearly 100% of our dock and city board. We all know changes have to be made and now is the time with current condition of our company. What is ironic, most every contract that I've been involved with(5), the (road) has benefited the most. As everyone knows, the road operation is the most costly in our system. Naturally thats where the cuts are based. Utility driver is suppose to be the equalizer. I'll believe it, when I see it. It may effect Yellow, but in our case, it will be used to move expedited and screw-up's. Resently a lot of us senior guys at ME have seen signs of Holland returning to its former self, starting with the Holland flyer, TM's taking control of their terminals and the restructuring of our service lanes. And maybe this is a precursor for "Bennys Big Announcement next month". HA, Ha Please understand that my views are based on being a city driver. I've been at the center of the industries heartbeat for more than 30 years. These small changes that are in front of us is minor compared the outcome of a lock-out or strike. GRIZZ

Vote Yes literature has been defaced and much thrown in the trash. But it will work out, everyone's entitled to their opinion. We are in troubled economic times not just stateside but internationally too. What cha gonna do when ya got Saia, R&L, Con-way, Central, Averitt, Estes, AAA Cooper, Vitran,
Southeastern, Fed-Ex, Old Dominion, Just to name a few, running freight with super duper flexible work rules (change at the drop of a hat) In a dog eat dog industry.De-Regulation has destroyed Good Jobs!

I'm looking at my ballot as we speak and still have reservations on the "YES" vote after talking to people I highly respect for their fortitude and true Teamster spirit during the organizing (boots on the ground in the trenches)
campaign at other non-union lines (I won't mention which lines to protect their anonymity) succesfully getting the Union in and then getting axed by **** management (the whole company went under) By coincidence? Or design,( I don't believe in coincidence's.)

Many of us Teamsters were fortunate to just walk in our Teamster job and not have to go thru all the harassment and allot can be learned from these Men I consider to be my good friends. They have been there and seen all the crap that goes on and have by far more experience than I have because I got lucky and just walked in off the street to my Teamster job.

I may have been swayed last night on my vote, but still have not made my mind for certain.

Yeller freight is a SOB when it comes to playing with peoples lives leaving no clue as to what your future could be. I wish the old Holland was back so we can get back to hauling freight instead of being a puppet on a string:chairshot:

Ronald Reegin Started It All

I can't even believe that any union guy would mention the name of that president in a union forum. We would all be in better shape right now if we would have walked off our union jobs when this union buster president fired the air traffic controllers. We could have shut this country down and sent the message right then and there that as a union we would not tolerate a president of a country or president of a company disregard of union contracts.

Reagan broke an un-written code for U.S. presidents. that have followed since taft-hartley. Then big business thought "hey, the prez did it so it must be right and ethical and put more money in our pockets so that when we eat that crep'e suzette and lobster dinner we get the runs and it triickles down our leg onto the peon american worker.
And thus created "trickle down economics"
I still say the chickens are voting for Colonel Saunders again and again and again... just listen to stupid dumbfox news. ( people believe this crap on TV:chairshot::biglaugh::hysterical::butt kiss:

Here is another point.Utility gets payed by the hour,road gets mileage.Now do a trip pay at hourly and a trip pay at mileage.You make less money hourly then by the mile.So you are already running 1-2 day freight so it would be cheaper to run a utility on a meet and turn then run a road driver.Big loss in teamster wages.

Grizz Don't Let Waggs get ya down

Wow Waggs spoken as a true OTR driver. I wouldn't even comment on the "prosper BS", but to wish for 10,000 teamsters to be put out of work because my views are different than yours, you need to get a life. "The FIGHT" crap is old hat. Waggs why don't ya bid the UE job and get a taste of my world. Get a clue about what the freight world is all about. Watch the non's like hungry sharks just waiting on the first hint off contract problems. Wake-up man times are changing and if we don't change were all gone anyway. Retirement agenda, what a freaking joke. I've got 11 years---never happen. I'm a sell-out , well take a look down the board and maybe UPS might be who you need to throw your sellout comments at. GRIZZ

He may not fully understand the nature of this new "local cartage classification" and he has the option to bid in on it too. So obviously he didn't read the contract Prop Article 3 sec 7 and article 18... ya gotta read the whole contract to get the full scope of this contract instead of wishing all this goodwill on brother teamsters who just happen to differ on issues:boohoo:

Gopher the UE man is hourly. I've read where if linehaul pay where broken down to houly, it would work out somewhere around 33.00 an hour compared to $24.00 an hour for the UE. Also will probably be on a 10 hour 4 day work week. Big difference. GRIZZ

Maybe not the most popular vote, but I,m voting yes as is nearly 100% of our dock and city board. GRIZZ

Grizz, its about the same here but almost exactly the opposite, pretty much everybody in LO is voting NO. I think this is only the second time we have agreed to disagree, lol.

Utility Driver (language) seniority, it needs to go by the local supplement and there needs to be a limit as to how many there can be, 4 hour casual (language) there all so needs to be a limit as to how many there can be and money (a little more). These are the main reasons (in that order) we will VOTE NO. A little work and it might be acceptable. But until it goes back for an upgrade its NO from most of us.

Benny I've been waiting on ya. I've read your post many times the last couple days. And reread them several times because I respect your knowledge and willingness to study cluster---- to the end. I agree the UE need better language, and I believe it will get it. Did you read my post about the comparison of the UPS casual and the freight casual? Think about it. UE driver, does it resemble UPS's shuttle driver? GRIZZ

All I'm doing is wishing you get put out of work first. You are in this for yourself and don't care about the thousands of us Road drivers, who will probably lose our jobs if this goes through. I was only expressing the same wish to you. If the contract goes through, my job will probably be gone, unless you lose yours. I voted NO, I want the contract to protect all of us. If I have to wish for something, it will be those of you who don't care enough to stand up for my job and protest, to lose their jobs, causing me to keep mine. I'm willing to stick by my brothers and fight for the good of all!!! You guys can ignore the Sell Out Clause, AKA the shiny wheel provision, we Road drivers can't. You can scream poor economy all you want, the bottom line is voting Yes is a sellout to your brothers and is simply you protecting your own job, at the expense of other brothers!!!

You don't think this contract wasn't written to divide everyones vote? You don't think they are trying to divide Road, Dock and IBT interests? Of course they are!!! The IBT sucked it up, obviously so have alot of Dock guys. You don't even care to mention all of our jobs being affected. You just want to go on about how we make to much. Did it ever occur to you the reason we make more is because we spend 10 to 14 hours extra, several times a week, sitting in a foreign city, while you get to go home and hang at the local pub w/your buddies if you want?

60 city drivers laid off

All I'm doing is wishing you get put out of work first. You are in this for yourself and don't care about the thousands of us Road drivers, who will probably lose our jobs if this goes through. I was only expressing the same wish to you. If the contract goes through, my job will probably be gone, unless you lose yours. I voted NO, I want the contract to protect all of us. If I have to wish for something, it will be those of you who don't care enough to stand up for my job and protest, to lose their jobs, causing me to keep mine. I'm willing to stick by my brothers and fight for the good of all!!! You guys can ignore the Sell out clause, AKA the shiny wheel provision, we Road drivers can't. You can scream poor economy all you want, the bottom line is voting Yes is a sellout to your brothers and is simply you protecting your own job, at the expense of other brothers!!!

at Roadway Memphis Friday

Utility Employee (article3 section7) The utility employee classification will be used only to allow the employers to pick up and deliver time sensitive next day and second day freight.Teamsters road and city employees will have morejob security as additional jobs are created by the employers growth in the expedited market.The parties to the NMFA agree that the utility employee position WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON "MEET AND TURN" runs or on EXISTING MAIN LINE LONG HAUL TURN RUNS. The utility employee operation will both increase job opportunities and increase employee earnings.Strong company strong union strong future.

Utility Employee (article3 section7) The utility employee classification will be used only to allow the employers to pick up and deliver time sensitive next day and second day freight.Teamsters road and city employees will have morejob security as additional jobs are created by the employers growth in the expedited market.The parties to the NMFA agree that the utility employee position WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON "MEET AND TURN" runs or on EXISTING MAIN LINE LONG HAUL TURN RUNS. The utility employee operation will both increase job opportunities and increase employee earnings.Strong company strong union strong future.

This has nothing to do with outsourcing and eliminating Road jobs with non union carriers.
Taking one load off the rail, eliminates 1 or more linehaul runs. A trailer w/origin in Baltimore will be picked up there. It will not be taken by Linehaul run to Cleveland, then by Linehaul run to Chicago rail. Eliminating 2 linehaul positions front end. It will not be picked up by a local at SCA and run by linehaul to its destination causing a potentialy 3rd linehaul loss. Thats 3 lost runs for each of the 4%, under those circumstances.

The same could be accomplished by a Linehaul Sleeper Team, Yellow, Roadway or Holland, picking it up in Baltimore and dropping it for another sleeper team in Kansas, to complete, then returning to the East.

Waggs your getting shot-down on every point. Whats next, their cheating us out of our sick days because there changing to calendar year. Man there's plenty of NO votes at HMES without all the HATE. Oh yes, don't try to crawfish out the statement about wanting Holland to be shutdown for me to lose my job. GRIZZ