Yellow | Shades Of 1970 and 1994?

Strikes worked when there was no huge, established competition. In 70, there was NMFA; when one went, all went. In 94, Fed-Ex Freight was still small American Freight, and Estes and OD were mere Regionals. Today, YRC strikes, and shippers simply redirect and move on. Nice to dream about the past, but that’s all strike talk is- a dream. Strikes work when you have leverage. The YRC’s IBT guys have none. UPS would probably cross a YRC line. I’ve seen them do it before.

Strikes worked when there was no huge, established competition. In 70, there was NMFA; when one went, all went. In 94, Fed-Ex Freight was still small American Freight, and Estes and OD were mere Regionals. Today, YRC strikes, and shippers simply redirect and move on. Nice to dream about the past, but that’s all strike talk is- a dream. Strikes work when you have leverage. The YRC’s IBT guys have none. UPS would probably cross a YRC line. I’ve seen them do it before.
So your saying we need LEVERAGE for strike to work ? Ok, (1) so right now most companies can't HIRE driver's (2) Severe driver shortage nationwide like 160,000 to 180,000 by year 2000 (3) most companies are at capacity cause of no driver's (4) ask any shipper today about problems they are having trying to get a trucking company move freight weekly (5) how can you grow a company when your the lowest pay in the industry (6) how many pick-ups and deliveries was missed just this past month at your barn or other barns because of driver shortage ?

So your saying we need LEVERAGE for strike to work ? Ok, (1) so right now most companies can't HIRE driver's (2) Severe driver shortage nationwide like 160,000 to 180,000 by year 2000 (3) most companies are at capacity cause of no driver's (4) ask any shipper today about problems they are having trying to get a trucking company move freight weekly (5) how can you grow a company when your the lowest pay in the industry (6) how many pick-ups and deliveries was missed just this past month at your barn or other barns because of driver shortage ?
Your post proves that YRC has no leverage. If YRC closes this afternoon, shippers won’t miss a beat. Even when I worked there, my Son (a salesman for a shipper ) told me, as a YRC truck drove past: “I have no idea what is on that truck- but I guarantee the consignee expected it yesterday, and is hoping against hope it’s undamaged”....

I will add that picketing of customers is illegal under federal labor laws, secondary picket. Secondary picketing is a sure way to have law enforcement become involved. Anyone on that line will face possible arrest and their local subject prosecution and significant fines.

It amazes me how many still don't get it. As you've pointed out, non-union carriers were almost non-existent many years ago and a strike against one carrier typically had support from most all the other unionized carriers - solidarity for sure. Today it's a totally different environment. Non-union carriers are nipping at our heels and salivating at the prospect of us striking/shutting down YRC. They will move right in and gobble up all the freight we used to move, even if it disrupts their operations for a while. It's 2019, not 1970 and some need to pull their heads out of their butts. Fight for more of course but with some common sense in the mix also.

When the union split up the master freight companies, and gave each one a separate contract, THAT was the end of strikes. When we were all in this together we had strength. DIVIDE AND CONQUER, a company tactic used on use by our own Union.

2019 time to stand up !!
55cb50a51c61db4a678ec3b8fa19ded3.jpg

Whole new world even from 94. Whole new world out there.
In my puny brain just using common sense and not going into heavy detail a strike. If it happens. Will not work. Won't happen anyway. As I stated somewhere else.
People want to pay bills and keep a check coming in. No unity. People talk. But when it gets to the nitty gritty they won't sacrifice. Being kind here. They who say they will vote no will vote yes and say they voted no when it turns to crap.
I voted yes on the first MOU. Second one. Hell NO! But it went through anyway.
A strike will shut the gate. Period. Deep down we all know that. No one is willing to sacrifice and take that gamble when they make tons of overtime and are pulling in 90 grand now. Or even 50 or 40 grand.
Done.
Next.
:17142:
I have two work days left. I'm gone on the 25th.
Just working to get my dental (using that up as we speak)
Been a hell of a ride. Mostly good. But the last 11 years have been questionable.

I don't know if he was there when the picture was taken. I hope I don't have to point out which one is me! :1036316054:
1994 was my third Teamster strike so I was ready. My fondest memory was my fellow striker who faked having a heart attack and collapsed in front of a truck that was going through our picket line. The truck stopped and myself and another striker were placed on a restraining order for the actions that followed.

Last edited:
1994 was my third Teamster strike so I was ready. My fondest memory was my fellow striker who faked having a heart attack and collapsed in front of a truck that was going through our picket line. The truck stopped and myself and another striker were placed on a retraining order for the actions that followed.
ReTraining, or ReStraining... either way, carry on!:1036316054: