XPO | Shiny Wheels??

Sharky Jr

TB Lurker
Credits
How come CWF started ordering their new 2011 Cascadias with Aluminum wheels? Personally, I like it.

100_1406.jpg

Is this saving on weight costs? My dad drives a 2009 Cascadia and it has the white steels, just wondering why they are switching because they have never gone with aluminum.

what concerns me more is that tiny little chain box behind the fuel tank.At least i'm assuming that's what it is.I have always liked the idea of a box like the ones we had on the 1995 Fords.Much easier to put them away on the side of the road.With all the chains we have to carry that will be full quickly.

Lighter, and basically maintenance free. And, the cost difference between steel and aluminum is not as bad as it once was.

They chose aluminum over steel so that way when us city kitties jump curbs trying to make a really tight turn, they will know about. Personally, I hope next year we get the rims that keep spinning when your stopped, just like you see on the low-rider cars.

^LOL!

I think it is nice to see them finally giving their equipment a better look, are the trailers and dollies going to have them also?

And ya, the chain box is small, but do you guys really ever have to chain up? The weather has to get really bad for you to need to use them, and even then Con-way might have you layover at a hotel.

How come CWF started ordering their new 2011 Cascadias with Aluminum wheels? Personally, I like it.

Is this saving on weight costs? My dad drives a 2009 Cascadia and it has the white steels, just wondering why they are switching because they have never gone with aluminum.

Did anyone watch the video? They are saying that it is cheaper to have the aluminum wheels than painting the wheels over the life of a steel wheel. I always liked aluminum wheels. They don't rust, crack or peel paint. And hell, it only took them 28 years to figure that out.

Chain boxes suck. Yeah, back on the '95s it was cool until it rained, then froze and then you had to chain. Every try to get chains out of them boxes when they have been covered with water and snow? Can you say one big, heavy ice cube. It is nice that they are going to have lids on the new boxes but I am having my doubts about that. Unless they are water tight, well, they are a bear to get out of there. Really though, if this is such a cool idea, why don't you see boxes on other trucks? Also, what about the added cost of these boxes? You don't need them on every truck. For a company that is looking to cut costs, doesn't make sense to me. Not everyone runs snow. I like the racks, you can see what you got unlike opening the door on Pandora's box.

^LOL!

I think it is nice to see them finally giving their equipment a better look, are the trailers and dollies going to have them also?

And ya, the chain box is small, but do you guys really ever have to chain up? The weather has to get really bad for you to need to use them, and even then Con-way might have you layover at a hotel.

Well, I don't know where you run but when it snows, we don't go to sleep. We chain up and complete the trip. Only exception is if they close the road. Oh look, it is snowing, time to go to bed. LOL

I agree with the racks as opposed to the boxes. I spent a year having to chain up 2-3 times a day and once you learn how to hang the chains up properly, it works better than having them all tangled and bunched up in a ball in a box. I used to be able to chain one steer, both sets of drives and two drag chains in about 30 minutes with camlocks. Never happen now though, lol.

Vid said they have holes in bottom to let water drain out

The "box" under the passenger door is the exhaust system. They got rid of the huge muffler that blocked the rear window. Now, there is just an exhaust pipe going up. Looks much better. Now, you can see when blind siding.

Glad they got rid of that Muffler. Wish they would just leave the passenger seat alone, or make their mind up on if they want it or not. Might as well leave it in there.

I agree with the racks as opposed to the boxes. I spent a year having to chain up 2-3 times a day and once you learn how to hang the chains up properly, it works better than having them all tangled and bunched up in a ball in a box. I used to be able to chain one steer, both sets of drives and two drag chains in about 30 minutes with camlocks. Never happen now though, lol.
Where the hell were you running a chain on the steer.I know people have done that in freezing rain and black ice but i have never had to.Give me singles on the drives and maybe one drag if it is really bad.I have always really wanted one hook on either side,would really save time dragging chains all over the place.

We run in snow and ice all winter long in the midwest and have yet to hear about anybody pulling over to "Chain Up" maybe the city drivers who get stuck in a customers dock BUT not any LH drivers to my knowlage.....

Three railers on the drives and four singles for the trailers that's what's required for Doubles over Donner. You put chains on your steer and chp/ Caltrans will shut you down for stupidity, your just asking for trouble when that chain breaks, and it will, no more hood, no more engine.