ABF | Should I stick around??

popo

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a new hire with ABF. My first week I worked 5 days which happened to be at the end of the quarter. This week I only worked 1 day so far. Anyone here know if freight is supposed to pick up or not? I'm a road driver. I can't support a family on one day's pay much longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Come on someone, help our brother out.

Is it possible to work a PT job on the side while waiting for somthing more permanent at ABF? Working for a Union LTLer would be worth it in the long run.

How about helping out a Teamster sister too? If you read my post on here, I got the shaft from the TM in Buffalo (didn't get fired, just got the shaft!) I need help in finding a union job also. Hope you make out, Popo. Thanks all!

popo it is something that we all have had to do. I can only say I hope you can hang in there because it will get better. Frieght is a wierd business and hard to predict. The end of the month and the first of the month it is normally real good the middle can be fair to nothing.
Good luck and I hope ya make it Brother.

Hillbilly Frog, some of those jobs have been on that site since Red Star closed 2 years ago! Others have been on there for months. But thanks anyhow. I was supposed to retire this year... I'm just too much of a good time

popo said:
I am a new hire with ABF. My first week I worked 5 days which happened to be at the end of the quarter. This week I only worked 1 day so far. Anyone here know if freight is supposed to pick up or not? I'm a road driver. I can't support a family on one day's pay much longer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
What barn are you at that is that slow?
I went through the no freight S$#t at yellow so I know where you are comeing from.

All this no freight business has me scared. I applied for the road out of Atlanta. Hopefully if I get on it will be busy enough to scratch out a living. Also, does anyone know how long it takes them to get back with you after submitting an app. online?

Grumman,
Welcome to Truckingboards. I know that ABF runs a very thorough investigation of potential employees. I'm not sure how long it usually takes before they make a determination.

Grumman said:
All this no freight business has me scared. I applied for the road out of Atlanta. Hopefully if I get on it will be busy enough to scratch out a living. Also, does anyone know how long it takes them to get back with you after submitting an app. online?

From what I know, 3-4 weeks minimum is standard. As stldude44 said, they are VERY thorough and do not rush the process.
Hang tight, good things come to those who wait

I'm out of 462 or I should say I'm stuck in 462. Every day the dispatchers tell me it looks promising that I will get out but then no call. I finished up early on Sunday and I'll probably be waiting around till Saturday like last week. I've looked for something part time but it's hard when I can't promise a certain schedule. Has anybody heard anything about freight picking up? Well I guess I'll try and stick it out another week but it looks like I'm going to have to move on soon, funds are really starting to get tight. I'd sure appreciate any advice anyone could give.
Thanks

Get out quick

I am just over six months at ABF. Get out while the getting is good. Other carriers are busy and we just sit around. I resigned today and am glad to be out. What you get with the hog board is crums, go somewhere and make a living. On top of the hog board are the jokers who tighten their log to run eight or nine tours in a row while you starve. Brotherhood my rosy red behind. The obligation says "do no harm to a brother", what more harm can you do than starve someone and their family for greed. Just my two cents from 042. Good luck to you I'm outta here.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger -- they pull the same crap with the office crew. 20 hours overtime, or close to it, to one office worker. That Buffalo TM has his head in his azz . . . "In solidarity" for your Teamster brother or sister is one sided. It's called greed. I'm sorry I ever got acquainted (that means 'hired') at ABF. Then they have the balls to send me their company store catalogue. If that TM in Buffalo wasn't so insecure, he wouldn't have to walk around wearing a suit everyday to make himself look important! He looks like an overgrown gorilla in it and has the lips to go with it. HAHA!!

:smilie_132: yes it is possible to take in a second p/t job & do what you have to do.:duh:
krash said:
Come on someone, help our brother out.

Is it possible to work a PT job on the side while waiting for somthing more permanent at ABF? Working for a Union LTLer would be worth it in the long run.

popo, i'm outta 462 as well. only been here a little over a year, but can tell ya from last year, that june thru dec. it was very busy consistently. If u can stick it out & I know it can be tuff, u will make a good paycheck. I'm guessing u are 1 of the 3 that got hired at the same time. I was at the bottom last year as well, & like I said good from june on. Good luck. Yes it is a hog board, so when u can run hard, RUN HARD!!!!!!!!!

driver377 welcome to the boards. Good to have you here and posting.
Now will somebody tell me where 462 is? It's not on my list I have here at home.

462 is north lima oh freight has picked up quite a bit since i've last posted i have decided to stick around no matter what i enjoy the work and can't see my self giving up such a good job thanks for all the info it really helped

Friendly advice: start looking now for a place to land this winter, something that is busy when freight is not after thanksgiving. Examples: mail contractor, propane company, hauling salt, temp plowing snow for the state, you get the idea. That way if you do get laid off this winter, you already have your backup plan. if you don't get laid off, you wasted a couple of days filling out paperwork, so what. I have run propane the last two winters while laid off at work. Change of pace, change of scenery (out of state) continued cash flow.