TForce | Should UPSFREIGHT be Nonunion?

Johnnybegood said:
:D Should we stay non union? :D

Unless we are forced to be union we will have to vote. Someone said that in the handbook that is coming out that it says that we were bought non union and they intend on us remaining non union. I haven't seen the books yet but when I get mine I'll let everyone know.

falcon465 said:
Unless we are forced to be union we will have to vote. Someone said that in the handbook that is coming out that it says that we were bought non union and they intend on us remaining non union. I haven't seen the books yet but when I get mine I'll let everyone know.
Well they can intend on us stay-n nonunion but it's up to us NOT them REMEMBER THAT...When it comes to that WE have the ruling hand not THEM...Also we don't have to do a vote ..We can do a check card just like the Menlo guys did....You should do your home work,,

Very true......but it's going to take a lot to get that bad taste out of our mouths that the union left from the last ordeal.

just-me said:
Well they can intend on us stay-n nonunion but it's up to us NOT them REMEMBER THAT...When it comes to that WE have the ruling hand not THEM...Also we don't have to do a vote ..We can do a check card just like the Menlo guys did....You should do your home work,,

Just -me,
you are pretty close but need to do more homework yourself.
Signing cards does not preclude a vote. All it does is show the interest for having a vote or not. The vote can be waived if there is ovewhelming support and the union and company agree.

I heard the same thing about the non-union disclaimer in the handbook. I'm glad the company has taken a position for me. God knows I can't think for myself. :mad:

yes and it is on page 14 of the Policy book,,they want us (UPSF) to stay non-union ,,,now how will this work if we are not union and UPS is?? and how can UPS work with the union for UPS workers and not us???

mud-flap said:
yes and it is on page 14 of the Policy book,,they want us (UPSF) to stay non-union ,,,now how will this work if we are not union and UPS is?? and how can UPS work with the union for UPS workers and not us???
This is another of management's techniques to divide and conquer the workforce. This can be looked at two ways. Either UPS feels UPSF is not deserving of union representation and benefits or they are looking into the future for a way of removing the union from their package division. Either of these two scenarios is not good for either workforce. It will in effect pit one group against the other.

As a non union company, they can promise you steak and give you peanuts.
As a union company they can promise you steak and then you can vote for steak and then they have to give you steak. It doesn't get any simpler than this. :duh:

also in the meeting our terminal manager said that all the teamsters want is money for the teamster pension that he said is going broke

mud-flap said:
also in the meeting our terminal manager said that all the teamsters want is money for the teamster pension that he said is going broke
The TM said this...the TM said that....
He probably has no clue. He is just telling you what his bosses are telling him to tell you. Keep believing management....they have your best interests at heart:jerkit:

I like steak too!!!! But if we eat steak will we eat sandwiches when we retire. I want to know everything that I can possibly know about everything.....union or non union....before I do anything. The choice is when is it going to be too late???? If the company is saying that we will be non union and that is that.......obviously there is something more behind it. United we stand....divided we fall. I'm willing to lay everything on the line for my brothers that I work with day in and day out. I'm not willing to pay for other peoples retirements that have never worked a day in their life for our company. Set up the guidelines....and I'll sign the cards......but I will not secure someone's retirement that their company went bankrupt. Sorry......family first.

Falcon,

There was too much Kool Aid being passed about on the old boards regarding the pension. Most of the pension talk came from one poster. There were many posts by myself and other Teamsters about the pension funds that rebutted this posters comments. Most Teamsters that were on jobs that folded either retired, found work at other Teamster jobs or found other work period. Those that retired had their pension contributions already paid into the funds by their previous employers. Those that found other Teamster jobs also had their funds put in by their previous and now current employers. Those that found work outside the Teamsters will collect a pro rated pension based on contributions that had also been previously contributed to their pension funds. One good point about a Teamster pension is that it is reciprocal. This means if I transfer from one job to another (local to local), my pension credits will travel with me. Can't say the same thing if you were to leave UPSF and go to (say) Conway or FDX.
While it may seem like it, whether you are in the Teamsters pension or a seperate UPS/UPSF pension, one thing is certain. In order to keep any pension alive, new blood has to enter the fund to replace the old blood that retires. It's the same thing with Social Security, as people retire, others comes on the SS payroll.

Hope this helps.

Johnnybegood said:
Sometimes the truth hurts....:exclaim:
Believe what you want or have heard about the pension funds, but I can tell you this much about mine. If the money stopped rolling in today, there is still enough money in my fund to cover everyone in my local (2000members) at full pension. :chairshot:

Animo916 said:
Believe what you want or have heard about the pension funds, but I can tell you this much about mine. If the money stopped rolling in today, there is still enough money in my fund to cover everyone in my local (2000members) at full pension. :chairshot:

That's good then you don't have to worry about UPSF joining the teamsters. We have ours and you have your pensions. Everything is copacetic. :d6625240:

mud-flap said:
Get the facts first .... not propaganda that your TM or other company management people spread around.
The Teamsters funds are NOT one giant fund. Each geographic area has their own fund.
Are any funds going broke ? NO .... some are not fully funded per ERISA guidelines, but how many pension funds are fully funded ? Company or union ... most funds numbers float around since they depend on their investments to grow the funds and those numbers never remain constant.
Most Teamster funds have billions of dollars in reserve and have been paying their current retirees monthly checks for many years.
It's true some are making adjustments so that future retirees will have a secure fund for the day they retire .... that's called smart management.
Teamster funds going broke ??? When Wall Street goes broke .... so will the Teamster funds .... and any other 401K funds or company retirement funds too.
Final word .... there is strength in numbers, don't let the companies divide the working class .... that is exactly what they want.

Skeeter said:
That's good then you don't have to worry about UPSF joining the teamsters. We have ours and you have your pensions. Everything is copacetic. :d6625240:
Remember this .... whatever you have now is yours !! Any company vested retirement fund CANNOT be taken from you. Will it be rolled into the Teamster funds .... NO !
If you were to join the union, then you would be credited perhaps with your years of service, but whatever money you have is yours now.
Please don't be fooled into believeing that the Teamsters are just looking for your money, that is nothing more then company propaganda.
We want members, because as a combined group we can become more effective in securing all of our futures. In numbers we have strength ... with strength we can gain the wages and benifits we should be entitled to receive for our hard work.

flstc2000,
2 excellent posts my friend.

Skeeter said:
Everything is not copacetic. If it was there wouldn't be any talk of whether O/UPSF workers should join the Teamsters. If it was all so rosey, everyone would be jumping on the bandwagon saying we don't need a union. However, whatever the number may be, there are many on your job that feel Teamster representation is important to consider. I asked you a question earleir which you seem to have eluded. Is that because your post was :BS: or were you just echoing the sentiments of management? You and many others have said let's give them a chance, let's wait and see this, let's wait and see that. I metioned to Falcon that it is far better to be proactive than reactive.
Skeeter, I'm sure you will be the first to sign a card when UPS steps on your toes. :duh: