TForce | Should UPSFREIGHT be Nonunion?

That is the real issue....the fact that no one out in the work force of the union will give people the right information about what's going on. If each "local union" controls what's going on with their own retirement what happens if there isn't an agreement/contract within that local area?? Does everyone strike and take care of each other or does that one little area (local union hall) get hung out to dry. If the correct information gets out to the people and not the normal management propaganda then people will understand that the union is trying to help us......not shut our doors!!

can some one tell me if we can just have a nation wide vote?? how would that work because people on my dock will listen to the teamsters but if managment finds out they will be fired ,,,lot of fear on my dock and alot of HATE from managment no one will pass around ''cards to sign'' they will be found out and FIRED..

I think someone was telling me that there has to be enough cards signed before there will be a nationwide vote. I guess there has to be enough interest in the union for there to be a vote.....correct me if I'm wrong...??

falcon465 said:
I think someone was telling me that there has to be enough cards signed before there will be a nationwide vote. I guess there has to be enough interest in the union for there to be a vote.....correct me if I'm wrong...??

You're exactly right Falcon. It's either 51% or it's 50% plus one vote. I can't remember which.

There would be no vote before those numbers are reached

mud-flap said:
can some one tell me if we can just have a nation wide vote?? how would that work because people on my dock will listen to the teamsters but if managment finds out they will be fired ,,,lot of fear on my dock and alot of HATE from managment no one will pass around ''cards to sign'' they will be found out and FIRED..

You have laws that protect your right to organize and it is illegal for your employer to fire you because of union activity. That was one of the causes in the last strike. Unfortunately, Overnite was one of the biggest Labor Law violaters at the time. It seems they may still be living up to that heritage. Sadly, they will never admit they are firing you for union activity, they will find some other tag to put in your termination letter, unjustly. Where is the respect that you deserve?

No one will come to you from the union with cards to sign, you have to approach the union. What you can do is get the phone number from the Teamster's Local in your particular area, speak to a business agent and explain where you work and what your concerns are. Make sure you let him know of the hostility from management regarding organizing. The BA will arrange to meet you anywhere, anytime at your convenience, even your home if you so like. If you have coworkers that share your view, you may even be able to accomplish this in a few meeting with a few small groups. Or you could even go to a scheduled union meeting(which may be a preferred method) with your coworkers, sign cards there, and chat with some of the Brotherhood, they should be more than happy to have you. Once you reach the required percentage of cards the union will approach the company with a petition for a vote for representaion. Voting will be judges by an independant judging council and the company will only know whether there were or were not enough votes to pass, they will not have access to your names.

Hope this helps.

falcon465 said:
Very true......but it's going to take a lot to get that bad taste out of our mouths that the union left from the last ordeal.
Ok I think we r all adults here ..rite?
So lets all move on and do the rite thing for all of us ..we need the union and it's going to give us all the rite to have a voice,,

Animo916 said:
This is another of management's techniques to divide and conquer the workforce. This can be looked at two ways. Either UPS feels UPSF is not deserving of union representation and benefits or they are looking into the future for a way of removing the union from their package division. Either of these two scenarios is not good for either workforce. It will in effect pit one group against the other.

As a non union company, they can promise you steak and give you peanuts.
As a union company they can promise you steak and then you can vote for steak and then they have to give you steak. It doesn't get any simpler than this. :duh:
YES, AND NOW IT'S TIME WE HAD STEAK,,
BECAUSE THE BOYS AT THE TOP HAVE EATING STEAK FOR A VERY LONG TIME!!!!!!!

mud-flap said:
also in the meeting our terminal manager said that all the teamsters want is money for the teamster pension that he said is going broke
Well thats all they have is the pension to bark about..And I'm tired of hearing about it AREN"T all of the rest of us..:clap:

We have a peer review board in place already at O'nite. If you are fired because you were trying to get the union in that would be unlawfully wrong. It would be up to your peers....or co workers to get your job back. You would appeal it and when you get your job back there would be back pay.

falcon465 said:
That is the real issue....the fact that no one out in the work force of the union will give people the right information about what's going on. If each "local union" controls what's going on with their own retirement what happens if there isn't an agreement/contract within that local area??
Each local does not have a pension fund. They are grouped into " geographic " areas for example "The Philadelphia Area " pension fund. That fund has multiple locals that are a part of that fund.
Does everyone strike and take care of each other or does that one little area (local union hall) get hung out to dry.
If the company is on strike, then the whole company is on strike. One local that controls an area cannot call a wildcat strike, it's against the law.
If the correct information gets out to the people and not the normal management propaganda then people will understand that the union is trying to help us......not shut our doors!!
Ask questions ..... sometimes it takes time to answer, but most of us will try and help.

falcon465 said:
We have a peer review board in place already at O'nite. If you are fired because you were trying to get the union in that would be unlawfully wrong. It would be up to your peers....or co workers to get your job back. You would appeal it and when you get your job back there would be back pay.
Who appoints or elects the peer board ?
Sounds good on paper, but who really controls what happens behind the company doors ?

As Far As' Peer Review Board',a Joke,kangaroo Court,when Management And Some Of The'good'ole'boys Sit On It,your Bound To Get F***ked,especially If Your A Union Supprter.

Buttonman74.

AS FAR AS 'PEER REVIEW BOARD':nutkick: :chairshot: KANGAROO COURT MORE LIKE IT,WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE HAPPENS IF THEY TRIED TO GET RID OF YOU BECUASE THEY KNOW YOU ARE A UNION SUPPORTER,NOT GOOD WHEN YOU'VE GOT TERMINAL MANAGERS/MANAGEMENT,AND 'GOOD'OLE : :chairshot: :nutkick: :0002: :: 'BOYS LOADED ON THE PEER REVIEW BOARD,WOULD'NT BE TO HARD TO FIGURE THE OUTCOME WHEN THE CARDS ARE STACKED AGAINST YOU FROM THE START.

dovetailing in????

Ok, if my understnading is right?
if we go union that means if for say if abf goes out and the doors are closed, they can comin and bump me or a coworker right out the door...or on to the bottom of a board...and that does not set well with me?

So i want to know about that my self.:duh:

Foose said:
if we go union that means if for say if abf goes out and the doors are closed, they can comin and bump me or a coworker right out the door...or on to the bottom of a board...and that does not set well with me?

Foose,
That should be the same as it is now.
no one outside your company can take away your seniority, regardless of where they come from

Grumpy,
when you use someones quote please use quote tags around the quote giving credit to the person you are quoting,thank you. I do like what you added after my words...i think you hit the nail on the head with that one:chairshot:

Foose said:

NO ONE, ABSOLUTLY NO ONE can take away your senirotiy from another company.

The only protection another National Master Freight Agreement (NMFA) company employee has is hiring rights at another NMFA comapny if said company should close the doors. NMFA companies must hire (at the bottom of the list) any employee from a closed NMFA company before hiring anyone else.

Below is a link to the NMFA and the Nation Master UPS Agreeement.

NATIONAL MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT
http://www.teamsters.org/divisions/freight/nma/TOC_.htm

NATIONAL MASTER UPS AGREEMENT
http://www.tdu.org/UPS/UPS_Contract_411/UPS_Master_Contract_TOC/ups_master_contract_toc.html