ADuiePyle | Shuttle drivers

jrz13

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been with the company for a month now as a shuttle driver. I'm trying to get a feel on how they run us and the money potential. I've been averaging 9 hours with the runs and trying to pick up extra work from dispatch in the mornings. I know with more seniority obviously the runs/pay is better. I rarely run the same place more than 2 days in a row which I expect but how do other guys average 12 hours on shuttle runs when central knows we need to get back before going over the HOS. Just curious, I'm new so I don't expect the world but usually they run the crap out of the new guys which is what I want and it's the exact opposite. Thanks for the info

Hang in there, let them get a feel for you.
What ever they give you take it and run!
It will get better... Xeastend can give you more info he is a system guy

Got another quick question. Obviously we can beat the run times given and usually the 30 min they give us at terminals if the load is ready. Do you guys take up all the time to get there and the full 30 to swap out?

Hey J. Part of the work hrs is a function of your start time. The later you start, the less work avbl. New PPT's just came out. Hopefully you get an early start. As far as the run times and terminal time. There is a balance you need to figure for yourself. My opinion, don't go like a mad man and be 45 mins early. You may just sit and wait. At the same time not good to be a clock sucker either. Don't use a stop watch and milk every second. Other than that, just stay off the radar. And maybe city has something short. Or dock work.

I have thought about it. Only thing is I'm not crazy about the idea of sleeping out twice a week. I barely see my kids Mon-Fri as it is just with the hours now.

I have thought about it. Only thing is I'm not crazy about the idea of sleeping out twice a week. I barely see my kids Mon-Fri as it is just with the hours now.
What you need is a career change and I am not being a wise guy. If you want to see your family and be an active part of it you do not want to drive trucks for a living. School plays and activities? You'll hear about them. Friday afternoon to Sunday evening with them? I doubt it. Want to see them play sports? You won't be able to get enough days off to do that.

Nah, I've been doing linehaul for 7 years. I like getting home in the mornings waking up when my kids get outta school and hanging out for 4 hours before heading to work right before they go to sleep. It's the same routine I've had for years and I've never had a problem

They try to get you home every night unless you are on a bid that keeps you out. I mean they truly do try and IMO do one hell of a job and getting guys home everyday. Sleeping out twice a week? I've only done that once in 3 months

I'm thinking about it, as it is now I get back in the mornings and maybe bump a warehouse dock for some extra time. I got no complaints, they've been taking care of me lately. I just had to open my mouth and let them know I had 3 hours left and they're like OK drop this off...

What you need is a career change and I am not being a wise guy. If you want to see your family and be an active part of it you do not want to drive trucks for a living. School plays and activities? You'll hear about them. Friday afternoon to Sunday evening with them? I doubt it. Want to see them play sports? You won't be able to get enough days off to do that.
Not every company has the 24/7 dispatch bullcrap that ABF has....

I'm thinking about it, as it is now I get back in the mornings and maybe bump a warehouse dock for some extra time. I got no complaints, they've been taking care of me lately. I just had to open my mouth and let them know I had 3 hours left and they're like OK drop this off...
There you go. City dispatch usually has a volume you can do. One less time consumer for the p&d guys

I hate to say it, but that is kind of specific to YRC and ABF. A lot of other companies may pay less and offer lesser benefits, but you get a much better home life. I've never been happier since I left ABF.

Must be a union shop that runs u guys like that. I get home Saturday mornings and go back in Monday night... home daily between 8 and 1030 am and back in at 9pm.
Well...union ltl can be rough. They have to compete with YRC while paying pension fund contributions. ABF got me vested in the pension, but I've since left ltl for... browner pastures. Much happier.

But I definitely concede that, at least where I live, ABF's work rules make it one of the least desirable places to work. If only for work/life balance, you'd almost be better off at a non-union shop.

I looked into ABF years ago but too much b.s. to deal with before I could even think of driving, then I was gonna go to New Penn before someone told me they were part of the YRC corp. Those guys are getting the royal shaft and it's a shame cause I remember people telling me years ago that was one of the places to get into. Then I spoke with 2 who left not long ago to come to duie told me I dodged a bullet

I looked into ABF years ago but too much b.s. to deal with before I could even think of driving, then I was gonna go to New Penn before someone told me they were part of the YRC corp. Those guys are getting the royal shaft and it's a shame cause I remember people telling me years ago that was one of the places to get into. Then I spoke with 2 who left not long ago to come to duie told me I dodged a bullet
YRC is...so bad. You don't even know. I was with Yellow and got laid off during the merger. Best thing that could've happened to me.

I had a friend who worked for Roadway in Carlsdadt, NJ who was told she could keep her job if she was willing to commute to PA everyday cause they were shutting down that terminal in 09 I think. She always said before the merger how great the place was and after that... well we all know how that's gone