Shuttle question

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
I might have a chance in the future to shuttle out of the Ft Smith AR yard, providing no other existing delivery driver wants it, there is one interested but I don't know if he will take it, I talked to him Wed. I don't seem to see an opportunity with PFG, at least not yet.

So, what do you guys think, do you think it would be a good move? Between Pfg and US Foods on shuttle the money will be about the same give or take.

If you don't mind working nights it beats throwing grocery's. You will miss some of the customers on your route but you have to think about the future and how long your body can take the abuse. Good luck!

If you don't mind working nights it beats throwing grocery's. You will miss some of the customers on your route but you have to think about the future and how long your body can take the abuse. Good luck!

I like nights ok, I did it with fedex for 4 out of 7 years give or take, my customers, that will be hard, I am good friends with lots of them, my body, it says get to shuttle now, not later..NOW!!!!

I am considering applying to U.S. Foodservice and would like a little info.

I know it would be physically punishing. I've been down that route before with Pepsi and FirstFleet.

I'm specifically wondering about salary and benefits. Time away from home etc.

I'm thinking Dallas, Houston or Corpus. Thanks!

Slobutsure I was with White Swan/US Foodservice for 23 years and I can tell you a little about it. I stay in touch with the Transportation Manager in Garland (DALLAS).They have warehouses in Dallas,Austin,Houston,and Lubbock. They have shuttle sites scattered all over the state such as Waco,Lufkin,and Marshall just to name a few. I think the top pay in Dallas is in the $20 ph range. Med benifits are kind of high depending on coverage. You have some four day workweeks,local and layover runs(out and back). Dallas does run to Lubbock,Ok City,McAllen,Houston,Jackson,MS. ect.. on National Accounts. No team runs out of Dallas. Hope this helps and good luck!

Slobutsure I was with White Swan/US Foodservice for 23 years and I can tell you a little about it. I stay in touch with the Transportation Manager in Garland (DALLAS).They have warehouses in Dallas,Austin,Houston,and Lubbock. They have shuttle sites scattered all over the state such as Waco,Lufkin,and Marshall just to name a few. I think the top pay in Dallas is in the $20 ph range. Med benifits are kind of high depending on coverage. You have some four day workweeks,local and layover runs(out and back). Dallas does run to Lubbock,Ok City,McAllen,Houston,Jackson,MS. ect.. on National Accounts. No team runs out of Dallas. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thats great Rowdy!! I'm not nosey, I just like hearing what others do..LOL, hey its interesting to me!! Good info.

No call yet, I guess they are making due with what they have, sure wish they would call me, I don't thing PFG is ever going to let me on shuttle.

I might have a chance in the future to shuttle out of the Ft Smith AR yard, providing no other existing delivery driver wants it, there is one interested but I don't know if he will take it, I talked to him Wed. I don't seem to see an opportunity with PFG, at least not yet.

So, what do you guys think, do you think it would be a good move? Between Pfg and US Foods on shuttle the money will be about the same give or take.

Grocery thrower

I hear your pain I’m only 32 and I’m already aching. I’m looking too but right now might not be the best time to make a move. Ive got two kids of my own(second will be here in 2 weeks) and was looking at going to Earp Distro, the do MCD’s around here. But I don’t think you want to be at the bottom of the list if the “fit hits the shan” I think im hanging out at the SUCK for another year or so before I make a move. Just my 2 cents good luck.
I do know the US shuttle driver up here run twice a night and make 20-22 and hour. Some pull triples on the interstate from Topeka where their warehouse is to Lenexa the rest are doubles.

Dirty

Grocery thrower

I hear your pain I’m only 32 and I’m already aching. I’m looking too but right now might not be the best time to make a move. Ive got two kids of my own(second will be here in 2 weeks) and was looking at going to Earp Distro, the do MCD’s around here. But I don’t think you want to be at the bottom of the list if the “fit hits the shan” I think im hanging out at the SUCK for another year or so before I make a move. Just my 2 cents good luck.
I do know the US shuttle driver up here run twice a night and make 20-22 and hour. Some pull triples on the interstate from Topeka where their warehouse is to Lenexa the rest are doubles.

Dirty

I understand about not wanting to make a move yet, I'm fixin to turn 42, I'm ready to go on nights with whatever food company will let me do it.

See who has the "WENDY'S" account in your area. They are ALL night delivers.

I'm talkin about night shuttle, no more deliveries, taking empty trailers to Little Rock and bringing loads back, I'm more than ready to do that, it just doesn't look promising right now, hopefully in the near future.

See who has the "WENDY'S" account in your area. They are ALL night delivers.

Not sure what the territory is but we own Sygma and they do Wendys along with Arbys, Mazzios and a bunch of other bing names. They run 24 hours really. Depends on what stop there doing. Nice equipment, new trailers and the sweet Volvos, not the crappy Sterlings like we drive.

Dirty.

I worked for US Foodservice in Houston Texas for awhile. I was a shuttle driver between Dallas & Houston. There were 3 of us running these shuttles but two of us only ran four days a week (mon/tue & thur/fri). We would pick up a backhaul in the DFW area on Monday morning & deliver to Houston then stay the night and go back to DFW with deliveries on the following day. It wasn't a bad gig it's just the hours sucked!

When I first took the job they were talking about 50-55 hours but it turned out to be barely 40 and that was stretching it. The one driver who ran all 5 days was barely getting 50 hours.

They start you at $16.00 hr and top out around $19.00 after three years. I actually looked forward to the two days that I made deliveries cause I found the task of driving back and forth to Houston just plain boring!

The Dallas drivers make about a dollar more an hour but both Dallas and Houston were cutting back overtime & hours. I guess it's not to bad since they pay bi-weekly but it just wasn't enough for me.

I didn't have any problems with anyone at my location and the few times I was in Dallas everyone seemed real nice. I'm still in foodservice but now I get overtime after 8 hours and I started @ $19.00 hr and will be at $20.75 in a year. I enjoy the work and especially the extra money!

If your looking for easy work, the shuttles are the best bet. We had guys that ran out of Beaumont, Lubbock, College Station, & of course Houston. All three of us lived in Dallas so we parked our trucks at the house or at a Ryder facility.

I think they are a good company overall. They are the 2nd. largest broad distributor of food. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you.

I am considering applying to U.S. Foodservice and would like a little info.

I know it would be physically punishing. I've been down that route before with Pepsi and FirstFleet.

I'm specifically wondering about salary and benefits. Time away from home etc.

I'm thinking Dallas, Houston or Corpus. Thanks!

I still work for U.S. It's a great company.Of course,I work in a union shop.Our Texas locations are non-union.We have some guys in from Houston.They say pay there is low for the area,and the work is very physical.Benefits are most likely Blue Cross Blue Shield,and will cost you plenty.Hope this helps.

I would go to US Foods Dallas, atleast they make a dollar more per hour than Houston or any of the other Texas locations. The only problem is that they are really watching the hours so not much overtime. Good luck!

Alot has to do with WHERE you're going to be working.
So come back and state where you're going to be working out of.