TForce | Sick and tired

What's the deal with BMFT? And where does his assumption come from that those of us who have made up our minds didn't weigh our options first? He should read some of my earlier posts. I was actually against going union and have changed my mind. Not only did I have my mind made up earlier, but I kept it open to new information. Isn't that what he was railing us for?

And then when I asked him to please tell me what's so wrong with the Indy contract, I got no response. Obviously he had no answer for that.

And this isn't so much an indictment against him, but rather against those who are staunchly against the union. They can say over and over again that it was sub-standard deal, but I have yet to hear why.

The days of the NMFA are over. No one will have that deal ever again. I believe that ABF will negotiate their own deal and YRC will have their own as well. And as for the NFMA, I have read some of the proposals and there is quite a bit that's going to get stricken from it. And even if there is another NMFA, it will be a watered down version of what it used to be. That's just a harsh reality.

Evidentally we work for separate companies because none of that is happening out here. Senior employees are getting all their hours and then some. NO road drivers are sitting at home here. We can still take our grievances to the TM without any negative consequences. Our supervisors aren't dictating....they're acting more scared than most of the employees. Evidentally we are not being ran the same here at all. Maybe that's why none of us see eye to eye........we evidentally don't have hardly anything in common. As to what's wrong with the Indy contract in my opinion: Pay increases aren't exciting(split twice each year....what a crock).....benefits are regional I guess but the Indy fees are very high......vacation stays the same......pension calculation stays the same.....There are really no substantial gains. Now we also pay dues and lose the match on our 401k. There's my examples of why I think this is a crappy contract. You obviously disagree which is your right...but it's also my right to say it sucks!!!!

As to what's wrong with the Indy contract in my opinion: Pay increases aren't exciting(split twice each year....what a crock).....benefits are regional I guess but the Indy fees are very high......vacation stays the same......pension calculation stays the same.....There are really no substantial gains. Now we also pay dues and lose the match on our 401k. There's my examples of why I think this is a crappy contract. You obviously disagree which is your right...but it's also my right to say it sucks!!!!

Thanks for the reply. I would like to respond, if you would allow me.

Pension staying the same, that's a win for us, you'd admit that. Most were worried about that getting complicated. Perhaps down the road the calculations might change for the better as we become more profitable.

Split pay raises are a minor inconvenience, in my view. Surely we would benefit from having the whole thing up front, but the loss of half of each years raise for six months amounts to (on a 50 hour week) $536 in the first year and $690 in the final year and a total of $3065 throughout the length of the contract. Remember, Indy gets the first raise in its entirety the first year. In comparison, the gain in OT after 8 AND 40 comes to $5183 in the first year alone and $5439 in the final year for a total of $30763. Which is larger, 3065 or 30763?

Now lets analyze the gain in wages over what has been standard for Overnite. In years 2009 until 2013, I have averaged the increase so the wage might not look right. (Example, 2009, the increase of .70 is given half in January and half in July, so the effective increase is only .525 for the year, but in subsequent years, the full .70 is realized.)
Year OVNT UPS ACTUAL Difference
2008 22.00 22.15 22.15 .15
2009 22.50 22.85 22.68 .18
2010 23.00 23.60 23.41 .41
2011 23.50 24.40 24.20 .70
2012 24.00 25.25 25.04 1.04
2013 24.50 26.15 25.93 1.43
Multiplying those differences by 50 hours plus OT, you come up with $11,995.

Remember the OT after 8 AND 40, assuming you work 10 hours each day, means you get 2 hours of OT on Monday thru Thursday and then 10 hours of OT on Friday for a total of 18, which equates to 9 hours of pay, so I have done all of these calculations on 59 hours of pay each week.

So now we're up to an increase of 42758 compared to a loss of 3065 during the length of the contract. Clearly, the gains in OT after 8 AND 40 and the SIGNIFICANT pay increases outweigh the inconvenience in seeing your raises split.

What else. The union dues. They come to 2.5 times your hourly wage. $664 in year one and $778 in year six for a total of $4326 for the length of the contract. So lets adjust that to 42758 gained, 7391 lost.

We'll just call the health care a wash because the benefits are the same with 85% coverage and with costs locked in for the nearly six years of the contract, my guess is we'll come out ahead on that one, but I have no idea on how to do the math.

Finally, the 401k match is only utilized by 25% of all employees, so for 75% of us, losing it doesn't matter at all. But for the few that do take advantage of it, they're losing 15399 throughout the length of the contract. So for them, the equation comes to 42758 gained, 22790 lost.

And keep in mind, at the end of the contract, just for working 10 hours each day, you're making $80,000 a year. On the old Overnite method, you're making $70,000. And the further we go, the more that gap widens.

Given what I just went through, do you still consider this a "crock" and a "crappy contract" that "sucks"? And on top of this, your pension is protected and you now have union representation along with a legitimate grievance process. Not a bad deal and it's no wonder it was accepted 107-1.

And for road drivers, the increases are even more significant when you consider that many are giving up three hours per day for free. You do the math on your own run and you'll see the difference. Those drivers will see an instant increase of $17000 in year one. Most will see an increase of almost $6000 in year one, just for getting paid for one hour that they otherwise weren't. A 550 mile turn with no delay time will gross $102,000 at the end of the contract. And you can do that in 11 hours or less. These are great jobs that we have here and we should do whatever we can to keep them. That is yet another reason why I am very eager to sign my card. I consider the lousy $60 a month union dues a sound investment to help me keep this job. You just never know what might happen and I would never want to allow some supervisor on a power trip the ability to alter my future by firing me. And I will not kiss his a$$ to keep it either.

Evidentally we work for separate companies because none of that is happening out here. Senior employees are getting all their hours and then some. NO road drivers are sitting at home here. We can still take our grievances to the TM without any negative consequences. Our supervisors aren't dictating....they're acting more scared than most of the employees. Evidentally we are not being ran the same here at all. Maybe that's why none of us see eye to eye........we evidentally don't have hardly anything in common. As to what's wrong with the Indy contract in my opinion: Pay increases aren't exciting(split twice each year....what a crock).....benefits are regional I guess but the Indy fees are very high......vacation stays the same......pension calculation stays the same.....There are really no substantial gains. Now we also pay dues and lose the match on our 401k. There's my examples of why I think this is a crappy contract. You obviously disagree which is your right...but it's also my right to say it sucks!!!!

When you speak of "out here "you must mean your terminal, I have been on these boards for a long time and I can see that a lot of drivers in the system complain about the same that I complain about. The most fascinating thing is, this is multiple people across the states that is posting on these boards, and unless they are lieing, or there is one big conspiracy against me,I have only but too take these words for face value.

So stick around and you will see for yourself, ask a few questions and you will see, at this point I am nothing but unbiast, let the others speak.

Thanks for the reply. I would like to respond, if you would allow me.

Pension staying the same, that's a win for us, you'd admit that. Most were worried about that getting complicated. Perhaps down the road the calculations might change for the better as we become more profitable.

Split pay raises are a minor inconvenience, in my view. Surely we would benefit from having the whole thing up front, but the loss of half of each years raise for six months amounts to (on a 50 hour week) $536 in the first year and $690 in the final year and a total of $3065 throughout the length of the contract. Remember, Indy gets the first raise in its entirety the first year. In comparison, the gain in OT after 8 AND 40 comes to $5183 in the first year alone and $5439 in the final year for a total of $30763. Which is larger, 3065 or 30763?

Now lets analyze the gain in wages over what has been standard for Overnite. In years 2009 until 2013, I have averaged the increase so the wage might not look right. (Example, 2009, the increase of .70 is given half in January and half in July, so the effective increase is only .525 for the year, but in subsequent years, the full .70 is realized.)
Year OVNT UPS ACTUAL Difference
2008 22.00 22.15 22.15 .15
2009 22.50 22.85 22.68 .18
2010 23.00 23.60 23.41 .41
2011 23.50 24.40 24.20 .70
2012 24.00 25.25 25.04 1.04
2013 24.50 26.15 25.93 1.43
Multiplying those differences by 50 hours plus OT, you come up with $11,995.

Remember the OT after 8 AND 40, assuming you work 10 hours each day, means you get 2 hours of OT on Monday thru Thursday and then 10 hours of OT on Friday for a total of 18, which equates to 9 hours of pay, so I have done all of these calculations on 59 hours of pay each week.

So now we're up to an increase of 42758 compared to a loss of 3065 during the length of the contract. Clearly, the gains in OT after 8 AND 40 and the SIGNIFICANT pay increases outweigh the inconvenience in seeing your raises split.

What else. The union dues. They come to 2.5 times your hourly wage. $664 in year one and $778 in year six for a total of $4326 for the length of the contract. So lets adjust that to 42758 gained, 7391 lost.

We'll just call the health care a wash because the benefits are the same with 85% coverage and with costs locked in for the nearly six years of the contract, my guess is we'll come out ahead on that one, but I have no idea on how to do the math.

Finally, the 401k match is only utilized by 25% of all employees, so for 75% of us, losing it doesn't matter at all. But for the few that do take advantage of it, they're losing 15399 throughout the length of the contract. So for them, the equation comes to 42758 gained, 22790 lost.

And keep in mind, at the end of the contract, just for working 10 hours each day, you're making $80,000 a year. On the old Overnite method, you're making $70,000. And the further we go, the more that gap widens.

Given what I just went through, do you still consider this a "crock" and a "crappy contract" that "sucks"? And on top of this, your pension is protected and you now have union representation along with a legitimate grievance process. Not a bad deal and it's no wonder it was accepted 107-1.

You are 100% correct, and thank you for the time, it is people like you who make the differance in a time like this. As far as the INS. is concearned we will be loosing, up here in the northeast , with the ins. provided in the contract.we have a managed plan, that virtually pays for everything and we also have the catastrophic, as well as the ppo. The PPO cost's us $25.00 a week for a family plan, $15.00 for the catastrophic and approx. $55.00 a week for the Managed plan.

This plan , or what I consider to be the PPO, pays 85%, and if generic does'nt work for the prescrip.you pay the balance, minus your copay, minus the balance submitted by the ins. for the cost of the generic, and then you are responsible for the balance , in some cases it's close too $400.00 dollars a month plus, for some of the maintenance drugs. what I have mentioned is what is happening not only in this contract, but it is happening in our INS. this year in referrance too the prescrip this year. Without the union.

Now for this INS. That is in the contract ,we pay an xtra $20.00 a week more for less,( this estimation comes from the rough draft provided by skeeter). But these prices change from region too region, so using this for an example is not a good idea, and I have yet too get confirmation on this, but this changes region too region.

So by moving monies around within the contract we will be able ( or should be able)to have the INS. we currently have for the same cost. I would be more then happy too pay for that. And a change in the prescrip plan.

40 plus years dispatchng

i have dispatched at akers motor lines & yellow freight both union. i dispatched at central division nonunion. all three in charlotte nc. there is no comparison union is only way. union is working mans friend if he has any. in my 43 plus years experience old man jimmy hoffa is the best friend a working man ever had. thank u

I don't :butt kiss: for my overtime! What we have here is a company man. Loves the company and thinks he'll lose his:butt kiss: privileges. That is a great fear of most non-union guys, who's :butt kiss: will get them the soft work? Go tell your manager that guys are mean to you on the trucking boards maybe he'll give you a hug.:hysterical: