Estes | What’s going on in your neighborhood? (1st post-crash post)

Frootloop

TB Regular
Credits
Hey guys how’s it going ? I’m running the extra board and have had some really long layovers in the southeast lately. 18-20 hours is common a few times a week. I’m still getting out on my start day and still getting ok miles but it’s taking 6 days to run 4-5 days worth of work. Not trying to complain. Just stating a fact. I was in Atlanta last night and it looks like they’re rebidding the whole linehaul board for some reason. Maybe they cut some runs ? I hear Kansas City also recently cut some runs. Luckily my terminal is still getting me out on my start day, with the exception of 1 day this year. Is it really going to crank up this year as was anticipated by the mass hiring ?

Things seem to be pretty normal in my neck of the woods. Not too busy but there's always extra work available to whoever wants it. I was talking to a combo driver out of 096 last night and he was saying that they are hiring a ton of drivers with little to no work available to them. It is the end of/ start of peak season but it seems system wide most places are slower than usual. Lots of hauling empties.

Hey guys how’s it going ? I’m running the extra board and have had some really long layovers in the southeast lately. 18-20 hours is common a few times a week. I’m still getting out on my start day and still getting ok miles but it’s taking 6 days to run 4-5 days worth of work. Not trying to complain. Just stating a fact. I was in Atlanta last night and it looks like they’re rebidding the whole linehaul board for some reason. Maybe they cut some runs ? I hear Kansas City also recently cut some runs. Luckily my terminal is still getting me out on my start day, with the exception of 1 day this year. Is it really going to crank up this year as was anticipated by the mass hiring ?

I heard stl turned a lot of Dallas lay downs to halfway meets. As did a bunch of other terminals. I heard guys say they are wanting to cut some hotel costs out. 2 weeks in a row they sent me home mid week empty to take my break. So I'm not sure what's the deal with all the restructure.

The newly expanded Nashville terminal got a ton of bypass freight diverted to them, but at the terminals that lost the freight, they didn’t cancel enough schedules to compensate for that. I haven’t worked a full week since the rebid, and yesterday I worked in the city all day just to have something to do. I wish they’d just cancel my run so I could bump in on something that actually runs.

They’re rebidding in Atlanta because at the bid, they posted runs that just didn’t exist.

Is this affecting terminals out west? Looks like they are still hiring and I'm waiting for a call back.

Is this affecting terminals out west? Looks like they are still hiring and I'm waiting for a call back.
It is affecting everyone,some term. more some less.Last year was a record year,and many term. hired people thinking that growth will continue,but economy is showing signs of leveling off.I work out west ,at brake term.and we are down 140/150 bills a day on inbound ,comparing to this time last year.On line haul side we are OK with drivers( not short , or too many)but P&D leaves every day except Monday 4/5 guys home.Do you research and make sure you can live off 35 hours a week,or 1700/1800 miles,until things pick up.Good luck to you.

It is affecting everyone,some term. more some less.Last year was a record year,and many term. hired people thinking that growth will continue,but economy is showing signs of leveling off.I work out west ,at brake term.and we are down 140/150 bills a day on inbound ,comparing to this time last year.On line haul side we are OK with drivers( not short , or too many)but P&D leaves every day except Monday 4/5 guys home.Do you research and make sure you can live off 35 hours a week,or 1700/1800 miles,until things pick up.Good luck to you.
35 hours a week? That sucks. We're doing fairly decent here in the midwest. We may leave one guy home every other day.

Thank you for a glimpse of what's going on.

I'm guessing I was passed over anyway, they have gone through motions but are now silent and the positions still advertised.

They've never cut anything in the big A. Charged a couple laydowns into halfways.
They've just added 4 team runs to Riverside CA. 6640 miles a week.

They've never cut anything in the big A. Charged a couple laydowns into halfways.
Thats rail stuff there was talk that the rail companies want to use their own rail equipment for loads and that would cost more lifting other companies trailers on the train is risky

They cut a daytime Memphis meet out of Atlanta last week. And they’re adding a ton of team runs everywhere to try to finally cut out purchased transportation.

They cut a daytime Memphis meet out of Atlanta last week. And they’re adding a ton of team runs everywhere to try to finally cut out purchased transportation.

I highly doubt they are going to cut out TLI. They've been using them forever. Maybe lessen their dependence on them but I doubt we stop seeing TLI tractors at the break yards.

I highly doubt they are going to cut out TLI. They've been using them forever. Maybe lessen their dependence on them but I doubt we stop seeing TLI tractors at the break yards.

Yeah there will always be purchased transportation. They are trying to eliminate PT schedules wherever possible though. This is from my TM.