Yellow | Sick & Personal Days

Just unexcused at 525. Past practice and they cannot keep up with it anyways.
Just depends on where your at. I don't personally take ue's because I cannot afford to take a day off with no pay.

Just unexcused at 525. Past practice and they cannot keep up with it anyways.
Just depends on where your at. I don't personally take ue's because I cannot afford to take a day off with no pay.
Did you ever have a Roadway terminal manager with the first name of Kirt ? Last name initial C. We at Roadway Albuquerque use to refer to him as Captain Kirt. He left us in the mid to late eighties for Roadway Fort Worth Texas.

Last edited:
Did you ever have a Roadway terminal manager with the first name of Kirt ? Last name initial C. We at Roadway Albuquerque use to refer to him as Captain Kirt. He left us in the mid to late eighties for Roadway Fort Worth Texas.
Ya... Sounds familiar. My memory is not what it used to be. Cottington? Memory bump.

Ya... Sounds familiar. My memory is not what it used to be. Cottington? Memory bump.
Yep Cottington. Captain Kirt came to us first at Roadway Abq. as a salesman. Came back the second time as our terminal manager. He was a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point. He was a typical Roadway terminal manager of the mid to late eighties. We heard he was passed over for a promotion at 525 and left the the Big R. And I don't blame him a bit.

Last edited:
if your out of days what happens if you need to book off ? do you get a letter ?

Are you in California?
https://www.cta.org/en/Parents-and-Community/Family-Involvement/Family-School-Partnership-Act.aspx

If not:
1-17-14
-11-
Exhibit A
National Uniform Attendance Policy
All Regions and Supplements of the NMFA
The parties agree that the purpose of attendance disciplinary action is to correct an
employee’s behavior. Continued disregard of attendance obligation will result in
discharge if the employee fails to change the behavior.
Disciplinary Progressions for Absenteeism or Tardiness:
First Offense: Verbal Warning
Second Offense: Warning Letter
Third Offense: One (1) Day Suspension
Fourth Offense: Three (3) Day Suspension
Fifth Offense: Discharge
Progressions will be followed in all instances unless extraordinary circumstances dictate
an accelerated or decelerated progression. Examples of an accelerated progression would
be No Call/No Shows or blatant abuse of time off. An example of decelerated
progression would be a long time period between absences.
Discipline may be issued on all unexcused absences. Committees may consider timely,
bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action.
Proper communication on all absences is the employee’s responsibility.
The Employer may discharge an employee who has received two letters of suspension as
long as the letters resulted in agreed to or a committee’s action discipline.

Are you in California?
https://www.cta.org/en/Parents-and-Community/Family-Involvement/Family-School-Partnership-Act.aspx

If not:
1-17-14
-11-
Exhibit A
National Uniform Attendance Policy
All Regions and Supplements of the NMFA
The parties agree that the purpose of attendance disciplinary action is to correct an
employee’s behavior. Continued disregard of attendance obligation will result in
discharge if the employee fails to change the behavior.
Disciplinary Progressions for Absenteeism or Tardiness:
First Offense: Verbal Warning
Second Offense: Warning Letter
Third Offense: One (1) Day Suspension
Fourth Offense: Three (3) Day Suspension
Fifth Offense: Discharge
Progressions will be followed in all instances unless extraordinary circumstances dictate
an accelerated or decelerated progression. Examples of an accelerated progression would
be No Call/No Shows or blatant abuse of time off. An example of decelerated
progression would be a long time period between absences.
Discipline may be issued on all unexcused absences. Committees may consider timely,
bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action.
Proper communication on all absences is the employee’s responsibility.
The Employer may discharge an employee who has received two letters of suspension as
long as the letters resulted in agreed to or a committee’s action discipline.

As was stated previously, until hiring issues improve, being fired is on hold. All offenses are negotiable! Recent case in point, two week suspension due to excessive absenteeism within less than 365 days. Stewards note all aberrations in enforcement of contract language in order to set new precedence.

In reality, if one provides doctor's excuses for absenteeism, panels will consider such; as long as medical issues are not manufactured and can be substantiated.

As was stated previously, until hiring issues improve, being fired is on hold. All offenses are negotiable! Recent case in point, two week suspension due to excessive absenteeism within less than 365 days. Stewards note all aberrations in enforcement of contract language in order to set new precedence.

In reality, if one provides doctor's excuses for absenteeism, panels will consider such; as long as medical issues are not manufactured and can be substantiated.

I posted a while back that as long as you don't show a pattern of being sick ever Friday or Monday you don't have a problem. But per Administrative Law Judge Rulings, if you show that pattern you will lose your case. It's ok to have more sick days than the company allows, just don't make it a long weekend & get the doctors excuse for most of the days off. Like anything else in life, documents, documents, documents. von.

<snip>
I could see where it might be an issue if say I have a doctor note every Friday as far as a pattern. What goes on between my doctor and me is confidential and protected by law and the company has no right to that information.

I could see where it might be an issue if say I have a doctor note every Friday as far as a pattern. What goes on between my doctor and me is confidential and protected by law and the company has no right to that information.

I agree, but, if you read some of the Law Judges Decisions they are specific on seeing a pattern of a long weekend. If half were the long weekend with doctor excuses or out patient, or in patient they will rule in your favor. Anything excessive to that & you run a risk of losing your case. A lot depends on the Judge, a good attorney & your reason for the absence. von.