FedEx Freight | Sign up now for TDC

SwampRatt

TB Legend
Credits
The sign up period is open for entering the National Truck Driving Championships. I believe the signup window is open through February.

This year the National Championships will be held in Indianapolis, IN.

The new method for signing up is on the Company intranet. Kind of difficult to find unless you have a good Manager who will put a link on the computer desktop in the Drivers Lounge (aka break room).

Be aware that they seemed to have combined the preliminary entry form with the official ATA questionnaire, thereby making the initial process quite a bit more time consuming.

For first timers, the process should take about 10 min, as the info required is minimal. But for those who have previous experience, it will likely take 15 to 20 minutes, as there is significantly more info to enter. Having previous years' info in hand will make the process quicker an much less frustrating than trying to rely on memory.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's true , but the rumor is XPO Logistics/Con-way will not be participating this year.

Interesting they seem to be straight buisness if it doesn't make them money their not going to be involved.

Then I would agree. This event serves no purpose and has outlived any usefulness that some of you may have seen. It not only drains the resources of participating carriers, but it envolkes a rather Neanderthal approach long seen as politically incorrect. The "I'm better than you" mentality is the thing of the past and if in fact it does continue in the modern age, then I would strongly suggest each participant receive a first place trophy. Thank you for allowing me to present my side to this matter. Respectfully, -Bernie S.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's true , but the rumor is XPO Logistics/Con-way will not be participating this year.
If true, it would be a mistake, IMHO.

XPO is likely to make a few mistakes, missteps, etc., as they toy with and alter things at Conway. We'll see...

What are the benefits for a company to compete in this competition? I don't see any jmo.

While some will certainly deny the effectiveness of the State and National competition program, in truth it is the most effective safety program in the industry. It does influence tens of thousands to drive safely throughout the year, in order to be eligible to compete.

Keep in mind, ANY accident (other than parked or stopped) will disqualify one from participation. That factor alone keeps safety in the mind of anyone who participates.

Also, while tens of thousands are motivated to be "extra safe" (and knowledgeable), only a relative few actually make it to the point of being a significant "cost" to their respective companies, in attending the Nationals.

I suspect the accident rate for participants is lower than the workforce at large. I don't have numbers handy to back that up, but I'd bet that is the case.

That would be the abbreviated answer. There are more intangible benefits, but... I think we can all agree that if it were not cost effective, FedEx would not participate.

While some will certainly deny the effectiveness of the State and National competition program, in truth it is the most effective safety program in the industry. It does influence tens of thousands to drive safely throughout the year, in order to be eligible to compete.

Keep in mind, ANY accident (other than parked or stopped) will disqualify one from participation. That factor alone keeps safety in the mind of anyone who participates.

Also, while tens of thousands are motivated to be "extra safe" (and knowledgeable), only a relative few actually make it to the point of being a significant "cost" to their respective companies, in attending the Nationals.

I suspect the accident rate for participants is lower than the workforce at large. I don't have numbers handy to back that up, but I'd bet that is the case.

That would be the abbreviated answer. There are more intangible benefits, but... I think we can all agree that if it were not cost effective, FedEx would not participate.
Numbers thrown out as a part of the "XPO/Con-way not participating" rumor were $500,000 to enter and CEO said no way. CEO allegedly counter offered with $200,000 and that is went nowhere.

I see what your saying but everyone should be extra careful not just people that plan to compete in TDC. I am extra safe also but it doesn't have anything to do with TDC. I will personally will never compete, because i think it's a waste of time and i think the participants should be payed for their time when trying to gain the company accolades. I know if you win you can win money but the company should also compensate employees for their time. I understand alot of guys love to compete in it, usually the same every year and good for them i will always be rooting for my fellow employees to win.

Ohhh poppycock!

I see what your saying but everyone should be extra careful not just people that plan to compete in TDC. I am extra safe also but it doesn't have anything to do with TDC. I will personally will never compete, because i think it's a waste of time and i think the participants should be payed for their time when trying to gain the company accolades. I know if you win you can win money but the company should also compensate employees for their time. I understand alot of guys love to compete in it, usually the same every year and good for them i will always be rooting for my fellow employees to win.
I agree with your post CT except for the company accolades part. Your everyday work ethic and attitude play a big part also. But the thing I always tell participants is, you are doing this for yourself, not the company. I have been in state competition since the late 80's, missing a few years here and there, and been to nationals 4 times. I would love to have every driver in this business say they have at least been there once. IMO, it is quite the experience.

Numbers thrown out as a part of the "XPO/Con-way not participating" rumor were $500,000 to enter and CEO said no way. CEO allegedly counter offered with $200,000 and that is went nowhere.

That number "could" be right, but that is not really how it works. The Co. has to be a member of the ATA/State ATA affiliate. Most every Company already is a member. Most event fees are per competitor. They can also be CORPORATE SPONSORS, but a negotiated price to participate? :idunno:

Conway always has a significant presence in these events, and I'd suspect the total cost to be higher, when including support staff etc.

Still the return on investment is likely to justify the costs, evidenced by the caliber of Companies who do participate, many among the most efficient in the industry.

Last edited: