FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Worth knowing, the pilot programs continue to produce favorable results. Not a lot of detail being talked about "officially", but 24' non CDL equipment looks to be the choice, for obvious reasons. When Fred Smith said we're leaning into it in a "big way", he meant exactly what he said.

As I've visited various centers across the southeast, from RCH to ATL, from CRW to SAV, from WMN to KNX, and everywhere in between there seems to be a common denominator with these new straight trucks, and no, it's not that they're all Paccar's. Regardless of whether they're 24 foot or even 20 foot trucks, they ALL have air brakes...so wouldn't that mean atleast a Class B CDL be required to operate these vehicles??

Perhaps the non-CDL trucks mentioned are going to big city areas such as Boston, Newark, Chicago, or LA but as for what I've seen it's been nothing but straight trucks with air brakes, regardless of the size box on the back.

As I've visited various centers across the southeast, from RCH to ATL, from CRW to SAV, from WMN to KNX, and everywhere in between there seems to be a common denominator with these new straight trucks, and no, it's not that they're all Paccar's. Regardless of whether they're 24 foot or even 20 foot trucks, they ALL have air brakes...so wouldn't that mean atleast a Class B CDL be required to operate these vehicles??

Perhaps the non-CDL trucks mentioned are going to big city areas such as Boston, Newark, Chicago, or LA but as for what I've seen it's been nothing but straight trucks with air brakes, regardless of the size box on the back.
Perhaps there is some confusion. We are NOT talking about the existing fleet.

What you are seeing is the current fleet spec.

Pilot programs are ongoing. Wait for significant numbers of NEW equipment to arrive. Then you can say for certain.

Perhaps there is some confusion. We are NOT talking about the existing fleet.

What you are seeing is the current fleet spec.

Pilot programs are ongoing. Wait for significant numbers of NEW equipment to arrive. Then you can say for certain.
Perhaps, but the straight trucks I've seen are all either brand new or recently new...they've shown up within the last month. It's possible they are not part of the pilot program and they're arrivals are purely coincidental...but then again, who knows??

Nope as long as it's under 26000 You would just have to have the air brake endorsement.

Worth knowing, the pilot programs continue to produce favorable results. Not a lot of detail being talked about "officially", but 24' non CDL equipment looks to be the choice, for obvious reasons. When Fred Smith said we're leaning into it in a "big way", he meant exactly what he said.

I'm going to skip 15 pages of balls and knobs being polished so forgive me if this has been said before but I believe we're getting the short bus trucks because of the continuing increase of residential deliveries.

These KWs we currently have are worse than battleships trying to turn so a smaller truck would be justified in doing only residentials on semi-regular basis.

Last time I took a 48' van into a cul-de-sac it was not a pretty picture. "But you have to make an attempt" whined Dispatch.

I'm going to skip 15 pages of balls and knobs being polished so forgive me if this has been said before but I believe we're getting the short bus trucks because of the continuing increase of residential deliveries.

These KWs we currently have are worse than battleships trying to turn so a smaller truck would be justified in doing only residentials on semi-regular basis.

Last time I took a 48' van into a cul-de-sac it was not a pretty picture. "But you have to make an attempt" whined Dispatch.
Try to keep it straight. Balls washed, shafts polished and knobs licked.

You need to talk to a safety guy, they can not make you go into a situation that may cause property damage or cause you to damage equipment. You are responsible for the equipment, it is always drivers discretion.

Good point, and it's one piece of the equation.

As far as making the attempt, many variables come into play, making it a judgement call. Ultimately the attempt should end long before getting caught in a cul-de-sac with a 48. Last time I checked, "dispatch" didn't drive the truck. Also your safety record is at risk, not his/hers.

Good point, and it's one piece of the equation.

As far as making the attempt, many variables come into play, making it a judgement call. Ultimately the attempt should end long before getting caught in a cul-de-sac with a 48. Last time I checked, "dispatch" didn't drive the truck. Also your safety record is at risk, not his/hers.
Exactly. I just plain wouldn't put myself in a situation like that. It doesn't matter what dispatch wants you to do, it's your ass if you hit something.

What's wrong with that? There are plenty of residential deliveries that can be made by a 48. That google earth is pretty good. If you don't like what you see, then you don't do it.

Google earth is only good for locating the exact location. Only a nit wit would look at something on Google earth and head into a residential with a 48.

Google earth is only good for locating the exact location. Only a nit wit would look at something on Google earth and head into a residential with a 48.
I go down residential streets all the time with a 53'+ trailer and a 244" tractor with a big front end. I was amazed when I started in LTL the number of guys who "couldn't" get somewhere I had been plenty of times.

What's wrong with that? There are plenty of residential deliveries that can be made by a 48. That google earth is pretty good. If you don't like what you see, then you don't do it.

Be sure and maintain 15 mph, just in case google doesn't show that low power line.

Be sure and maintain 15 mph, just in case google doesn't show that low power line.

Or a low under pass, a bridge with low weight limit, a curve you can't make, or better yet no place to turn around and no way to back out. I would like to have a dollar for every truck I have seen towed out of somewhere they shouldn't have been in the first place, and guess what if you talk to them they all were just following their GPS. :idunno:

I go down residential streets all the time with a 53'+ trailer and a 244" tractor with a big front end. I was amazed when I started in LTL the number of guys who "couldn't" get somewhere I had been plenty of times.

Couldn't or wouldn't? Most guys weigh the risk and decide not to take the chance even when their skill level is more than sufficient.

I make residential's in a 53' trailer but I don't rely on google maps to make the determination.