"Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by SwampRatt, Jul 1, 2017.

1. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

Yes, to a point.

You may not have such a high degree of enthusiasm, if you were a city driver, and at a center struggling to qualify for a correction in GPD status. The difficulty to attract qualified drivers is likely the ONLY path to a higher GPD status. Anything that increases the qualified driver pool, reduces pressure on wages.

Crazy Trucker and The Point like this.
  2. SwampRatt

We don't know the answers yet. All valid concerns though.

This goes back to my original post. It all comes down to the sorting out the details and the execution of the plan.

3. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

Shouldn't this rant be on the GPD thread? :off topic:

4. SwampRatt

Slightly different scenario having 1 straight truck and driver vs "significant numbers".

5. SwampRatt

I do have to agree on need, based on accessibility and safety concerns :1036316054:. Also correct, the pay scale was not mentioned... Yet.

Does anyone think there will be Class B and/or C drivers hired at the same scale as Class A drivers? What about non-CDL drivers? Or do you and Red contend that only Class A drivers will be hired? That solves that challenge, but at a cost. Unlikely, IMHO.

I disagree on the charge of fear mongering. Simply asking the uncomfortable questions. Questions that will eventually need answers. Answers needed, NOT for my benefit, but for the benefit of the Company AND those who may be affected. Again, smooth well sorted execution will be the key.

One would think, this has all been (or is being) sorted out. Until we know, we speculate... :idunno:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  6. truckingBORED

truckingBORED Your Huckleberry

Sorry, I just watched the movie "Logan"... The freeway scene scared me. ;)

icuicp likes this.
  7. SwampRatt

Your SELECTIVE OUTRAGE is LAUGHABLE. :clapping::hilarious::clapping:

I'm perfectly "on topic".

When you become consistent on policing topic integrity, you'll become a more credible critic. Really...

joes bar and grill likes this.
  8. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

I took "significant numbers" meaning to the company as a whole, most centers who receive one will probably only get one while many will see zero.

Purple Hammer likes this.
  9. Sex pistol

Sex pistol Never Mind The Bollocks

Does FedEx still have the policy of you must have a tanker endorsement to drive. I guess that would have to be taken out. I don't really think FedEx would change some policies and ever have a different pay scale. I've worked the city in a straight truck and regular peddle runs and working the straight truck is a lot harder than a peddle run. IMHO

10. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing fed ex is getting into white glove and last mile in a big way. Smart move.

11. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

Just pointing out that YOU started a thread about straight trucks and still managed to bring up your center and the GPD like always. Dude, we get it, your not happy with the pay scale at your center but what does that have to do with straight trucks??

Purple Hammer likes this.
  12. chitownpeddler

chitownpeddler Well-Known Member

We had a straight truck for a few months a couple of years ago. I believe it had close to a 28 foot box so it didn't maneuver very well in tight residential areas. It was easier to use a tractor and a pup. You couldn't even turn around in a cult a sac without going forward and back a few times. It had a single axle so forklifts weren't able to go into the box and it wasn't 13'6" so you had to make sure whatever you picked up wasn't too high. Nice thought but just didn't work as well as planned. We gave it to another center in exchange for a tractor......with a blown engine. I see Dayton got some new straight trucks but they have shorter boxes and are cabovers. They look like they would be much better for tight spaces.

SwampRatt likes this.
  13. roogie

roogie Well-Known Member

Oh I don't like driving those, they don't bend in the middle!

roog

nas250 and Big Dave like this.
  14. SwampRatt

More nonsense...

How does 2 sentences mentioning GPD, out of 4 sentences in the post, qualify as a rant?

Haven't mentioned the GPD in several months (by design). That wasn't the point. The point was potential reduced pressure on wages. Don't worry though, there will be no class B or C trucks effecting you or the road operation.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  15. SwampRatt

Really now??

After mentioning significant numbers, Fred Smith goes on to say: " I think you'll see FedEx Freight lean into that space in a big way."

You take that to mean "most get 1" and many get Zero? And you can say that with a straight face? :scratchhead:

joes bar and grill likes this.
  16. SwampRatt

A lot depends on the route... High density area with a 53 vs low density with a S/T? Not much difference between a lift gate pup route and a straight truck route. Regardless, it's not about the degree of difficulty. It's more about the number of people qualified, willing, and able to do it.

If/when another driver class is added, how might low freight levels effect who works? Not a criticism, just another question. An example of the sorting required, prior to such a big move.

The bigger challenge will be for those in the dispatch office, sorting out what equipment is suitable for what customer. :nightmare:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    DOTFXF likes this.
  17. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Well-Known Member

CMH has two straight trucks, they're city bids and make the same pay.

Purple Hammer and Redracer3136 like this.
  18. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

When it's 50% of the post, it's a rant...just sayin'

19. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, you're clearly speculating as to what "might" happen...putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

Just curious, why are speculating about another class of driver and what "might" happen if freight levels dip anyways? Wouldn't the smarter business decision be to just continue hiring class A drivers? :idunno:

20. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Lately they haven't been hiring Class A drivers. The DDIs have been making steering wheel holders.