FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

It is being rolled out nationally by April in all the major markets, Texas was first. Basically no pups or vans in residential neighborhoods. All those deliveries will be handled by the aforementioned straight trucks. It was pilot tested in EDA with those rental trucks Dick Dastardly posted above. After one year the 4 rental trucks in EDA have made about 6,000 deliveries accident free with no property damage and have improved revenue by checking the residential & liftgate boxes so we can actually get paid for the service.
checking the residential & liftgate boxes so we can actually getpaid fortheservice. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the customer initialing these boxes and agreeing to the charges? Rather then just the driver checking the box?

I believe it's the city drivers responsibility to circle the service performed and have the customer initialing on the line next to the service performed. The customers initials are confirming the service was performed and that they are agreeing to the additional charges for the circled service.

I believe it's the city drivers responsibility to circle the service performed and have the customer initialing on the line next to the service performed. The customers initials are confirming the service was performed and that they are agreeing to the additional charges for the circled service.
Yes but it is one of those things that get overlooked by drivers by just not caring enough or in a hurry.

Yes but it is one of those things that get overlooked by drivers by just not caring enough or in a hurry.
Most of these residential/liftgate deliveries are designated as such and PPD from the shipper. I assume we still need confirmation of the task performed, but I'm not certain. Limited access, for example, is an upgrade that has already been determined.

Curious is the occasion where there are several stacked charges. Liftgate, residential, inside delivery, etc, all on the same delivery seems redundant and excessive, at times. :idunno:

Most of these residential/liftgate deliveries are designated as such and PPD from the shipper. I assume we still need confirmation of the task performed, but I'm not certain. Limited access, for example, is an upgrade that has already been determined.

Curious is the occasion where there are several stacked charges. Liftgate, residential, inside delivery, etc, all on the same delivery seems redundant and excessive, at times. :idunno:

I run a liftgate pup everyday so there is always residential/liftgate deliveries. It’s about 50/50 on the prepaid. You do have to check the boxes on task preformed and have customer initial each one. I don’t know how they charge on the stacked charges but there must be some kind of discount because if you had all those charges it would be quite expensive.

The number 200 (approved to purchase) was shared in recent meeting, as coming this year. We have to expect that to indicate most "metro area centers" will get several, while most "other" centers will get none, THIS YEAR (FY18).

Saw 2 this am I think they were new, both were Pete's, didn't get a chance to see unit numbers

The number 200 (approved to purchase) was shared in recent meeting, as coming this year. We have to expect that to indicate most "metro area centers" will get several, while most "other" centers will get none, THIS YEAR (FY18).
When the big dogs visited at CLT we were told that the year before the pilot program in Dallas "36" accidents were attributed to residential deliveries. During the same time period with the straight trucks there were "0" accidents during residential deliveries. When the question was asked why Fedex is so far behind our competitors in the straight truck area, we were told that the cost for 1 is equivalent to the cost of a tractor and trailer. If "Safety Above All" is really our new motto then get us the equipment needed for the job now! Instead of 40 new Road tractors and 40 new trailers CLT got this year they should have got at least 3 or 4 straight trucks and 4 less of the combos. Putting city drivers in a position to fail is not acceptable. Too much bureaucracy leads to slow response by Fedex to changing conditions. The rapid growth in e-commerce will continue to create more residential deliveries. Management needs to get ahead of this trend.

When the big dogs visited at CLT we were told that the year before the pilot program in Dallas "36" accidents were attributed to residential deliveries. During the same time period with the straight trucks there were "0" accidents during residential deliveries. When the question was asked why Fedex is so far behind our competitors in the straight truck area, we were told that the cost for 1 is equivalent to the cost of a tractor and trailer. If "Safety Above All" is really our new motto then get us the equipment needed for the job now! Instead of 40 new Road tractors and 40 new trailers CLT got this year they should have got at least 3 or 4 straight trucks and 4 less of the combos. Putting city drivers in a position to fail is not acceptable. Too much bureaucracy leads to slow response by Fedex to changing conditions. The rapid growth in e-commerce will continue to create more residential deliveries. Management needs to get ahead of this trend.

All this coming from the guy that claims the majority of residential deliveries can be made with a 48. :idunno:

There are many in CLT who wish they could have their old road units back. I think the number of new road units will far surpass 40 too as some of the newer road units being replaced are headed for the city.

We got the same info. Safety of the pilot program being significantly positive.

We have to expect locations as large as your center will get some. But a small, more rural location, might not be able to justify the cost, staff, etc. Might be best to contract out the relative few shipments that require a S/T.

Hypocrisy aside, he is right. The trucks are tools, and the correct ones should be available at a company like FedEx.
Yes, this is true, but... Often one must consider the option of "renting" tools that are rarely used.

In the name of safety, it might be best to eliminate the liability/danger via 3rd party service, until there is enough volume to justify "ownership".

They also told us the home delivery e-commerce business was a 5 billion dollar industry. As long as it’s profitable you cannot blame them for wanting a piece of it. How that business goes will determine the unltimate number of these straight trucks present.

Yes, this is true, but... Often one must consider the option of "renting" tools that are rarely used.

In the name of safety, it might be best to eliminate the liability/danger via 3rd party service, until there is enough volume to justify "ownership".
And FedEx has been renting tools in this case at many different locations. They do, in some cases, contract it out (FXFC being such an example). Obviously they feel the volume is enough to justify moving to ownership at this stage, at least for major urban centers. Express has even made this move in light of the success of this class of truck under contract at Ground.

You have to remember that FedEx has models upon which they base decisions like these. And it's no secret that many centers have had rental straight trucks for a while now. Not every center will get one because not everyone center needs one, but arguably major urban centers need at least one.

Check each box for each task performed. Many times the shipper will have negotiated a specific task with FXF for reduced, or sometimes even free, cost.

Amazing how much freight comes through with no Residential tag even though it goes to a residence. Liftgate service is a little easier to come thru prepaid but often is not. Especially if the shipper has not marked Residential! Common limited access deliveries that are not marked as such are military bases with secure access and construction sites. Constructions sites are hugely missed because often the consignee on the bill will be the name of a contractor that is actually at the construction site doing work.

And came across this in the FXF Tariff. I never knew this:

*When liftgate equipment is not available and Carrier personnel utilizes alternate means to move the freight from the vehicle to ground level, the liftgate charges named herein will apply. Services will only be rendered at locations that are safe and accessible to the vehicle.
  1. Except as otherwise provided, when Carrier provides liftgate service, the charge will be $8.33 per cwt, subject to a minimum charge of $123.00 and a maximum charge of $406.00
So stack 'em and rack 'em.

And FedEx has been renting tools in this case at many different locations. They do, in some cases, contract it out (FXFC being such an example). Obviously they feel the volume is enough to justify moving to ownership at this stage, at least for major urban centers. Express has even made this move in light of the success of this class of truck under contract at Ground.

You have to remember that FedEx has models upon which they base decisions like these. And it's no secret that many centers have had rental straight trucks for a while now. Not every center will get one because not everyone center needs one, but arguably major urban centers need at least one.
Absolutely agree. I would bet that every major urban center will get at least one, probably several.

Also, we know that quite a few locations already have the old school "battleship" variety S/T. I wonder if some of these might be reassigned to less urban facilities, while major metro areas get the more specialized cab-over Petes. Seems like that would be a wise use of resources.

I wonder if some of these might be reassigned to less urban facilities, while major metro areas get the more specialized cab-over Petes. Seems like that would be a wise use of resources.
With that being said, we should expect the company to sell those “battleship” S/T for next to nothing, probably to Goodwill or someone who’ll send them to Mexico, and replace them with brand new cab over Petes for everyone!!