"Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by SwampRatt, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Thom-8-Toes

Thom-8-Toes Active Member

Is accepting TIP'S allowed.. ?

And ABF has had these mini straight jobs forever......All we're doing is following their lead.....

And XPO is doing the same now....

2. Crazy Trucker

Crazy Trucker Clown Math Expert

No on the tips, but i don't how they would ever tell if you took a tip.:idunno:

3. dsh69

dsh69 Active Member

Yeah, if they switch over to "white glove" nobody is gonna want to do it.

Right now CDL drivers run the route but just the other day they had a suit from corporate talking to dispatch and he was disparaging the Penskes as FXF "jumped in too quick". I flat out told him that the little trucks did just fine and it was :horseshit: telling us to take 48ft vans into residential areas. These little trucks fill a void that most of us would rather not do.

icuicp likes this.
  4. Easy_Does_It

Easy_Does_It 40 Years of Trucking

I believe it is just a pilot program for now with using rentals for home delivery freight.

What concerns me will they change the pay structure eventually hiring non-CDL drivers or using dock workers if they decide the program is working with buying their own trucks taking work away from the city drivers.

5. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

CF, they won't be doing exactly the same thing, the way I understand it. It's said to be strictly RESIDENTIAL (P&D). So until they grow significant density, It'll be a pretty cushy gig. More riding around. Relatively few stops.

As for endorsements... Let not forget, the actual Petes being purchased, do have placard racks.
    [​IMG]

Even though they are saying pickups will be limited to residential, I have serious doubts about the reality of that. For one, there are so few residential pickups. Also, there are many commercial locations that can easily be loaded from the ground. I'd bet good money that dispatch will find it impossible to resist the opportunity to scoop up a couple on the way in... Same for an occasional tailgate delivery, on the way out. Anyone want to take that bet?

6. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

These residential trucks/routes will be a bid, until the point where they hire class B drivers. Class A drivers can and will run these at normal Class A rates, as needed. Extra/Unassigned/Flex, whatever term you want to use.

And YES, in the meantime, if there are no volunteers, the bottom driver will get it. In that case, it could improve his/her start time.

icuicp and Crazy Trucker like this.
  7. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer They Call Me CF, Eh

I suppose that's one way to look at it. But in my experience they will use straight trucks for whatever they can. Here in Toronto the straight trucks do residential/downtown areas and act as backup for regular picks and drops. And they are expected to haul hazmat if they are told to.

That being said, FXFC doesn't pay by the hour. They pay by volume. Straight trucks are not explicitly paid less, but they do have to work harder to make the same volume as a tractor with a 48' van.

8. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Owner of Patel Hat And Canvas LLC.

I am hearing Coop D will be sub contracted on fedex resi deliveries....

9. Big Dave

Big Dave What?! A low bridge and boardwalk at same time?!!

Yep. Specializing in beachfront residentials on boardwalks....