"Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by SwampRatt, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Freight Crusher

Freight Crusher Active Member

Not the same bridge. If you type "can opener bridge" on YouTube you'll see the one I was thinking of. I like the shark.

2. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer Speedy Freightshaker #411

You're talking about the 11foot8 bridge. Straight trucks get the can opener treatment there all the time.

3. The Point

The Point You get it or not!

Our center is adding a significant amount of these trucks right now so it is happening. Currently they are being staffed by our driver pool but down the road who knows.

SwampRatt likes this.
  4. SwampRatt

SwampRatt Well-Known Member

Of course my questions are speculative and perhaps provocative even. They are questions that should be considered prior to diving in head first, don't you think? There are many more questions that would require research to answer.. Factors that should carry some weight in formulating policy.

While this move will have little or no effect on me, and even less effect on you, it is looking like an industry trend. It will have an effect on those just entering the industry, those near the bottom, and those trying to manage additional classes of equipment and/or drivers. It's certainly best to get it right going in, thus avoiding turmoil.

You do get credit for standing by your position. We'll see how it unfolds.:popcorn:

5. Crazy Trucker

Crazy Trucker Clown Math Expert

Come on man I looked on Google earth and even though I couldn't see the height on that underpass I thought I could fit my 53 foot trailer under it. Lmao To bad that don't give these guys common sense test before they hire them.

6. silent trucker

silent trucker Well-Known Member

Don't anyone wake up "Twice Pipes". If he finds out that FxF is buying myriad straight trucks, he'll come out of retirement and massive layoffs will occur. He always rocked the truck rodeo in a straight truck despite being a road driver.

ST

Redracer3136 likes this.
  7. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

What's your point? You can give feedback and even make suggestions but the last time I checked, policy making wasn't part of your job description.

Correct, it will probably have no effect on me but could effect every city driver in the system at some point which is why requiring every driver to possess a class A CDL makes the most sense...turmoil avoided.

We'll all have to sit back and wait...

8. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Or not......
    Well at least not very long.

9. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

Can't you just go into the SCM's office and deal with this directly? :2437:

Ol' Red just made the case of why you need representation. Fact is, this will be a new class of driver with lesser skills and lower pay.

These trucks will be used to cut down on routes saving the company overhead. You best believe these trucks will run before a typical CDL A driver. Think of it as farming out work in house.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  10. Dick Dastardly

Checkmate. This post says it all. :1036316054::smiliewhs:

SwampRatt likes this.
  11. SwampRatt

Funny, but no, I'm not making policy... Nor am I doing the deep research that will drive the policy. I'm just taking what little we KNOW and speculating on where it will lead. Predicting, you might say. Even you seem to have found it interesting enough to participate in the conversation.

I think we'll have a better idea when we see what exactly what equipment is going to be purchased, and in what numbers. If these 24' straight trucks turn out to be class B units, you might be correct is there being no additional class of drivers hired. I doubt it. A lot will depend on the definition of "significant numbers".

On the other hand, if you see non CDL trucks, in mass, then you can most certainly expect non CDL drivers to be driving many of them. Class C is also a possibility, in order to cover the hazmat part of the equation.

Too many benefits to ignore, as previously noted. Driver shortage eased, wage pressure reduced, easier stepping stones for the dock to driver program, and ultimately the bottom line. Again, this is not merely a FedEx thing. It's an industry thing.

I do find your position contrary and inconsistent with your past positions. You've never before advocated for the Company paying more than necessary. In this case you say it's smarter to pay significant numbers of Class A drivers to drive something like this:
    [​IMG]

You have connections, Red. Ask around and see what exactly is being purchase... That will provide insight. :smilie93c peelout:

joes bar and grill likes this.
  12. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

I doubt it very much any company will purchase straight trucks requiring a class A CDL...A single axle box truck can't hardly get up to 26,000lbs. gross weight.

13. Dick Dastardly

Like Swamp said, most can't hire enough drivers now. They aren't going to continue to ask for a Commercial drivers license for smaller trucks.

14. SwampRatt

Any word on the GVWR?
    :popcorn:

15. Purple Hammer

Purple Hammer On Time Delivery

After your experience with local 71 how can you honestly say we need representation from those imbeciles? Remember after tomorrow you and Crazy Trucker are through on Truckingboards so get your posting done now. Lmao

16. Dick Dastardly

I had to decide to take you off of ignore to see if you were asking out of the bet. Of course I see you're still like a school in the summertime; no class.

17. SwampRatt

Do these new ones you speak of look anything like this one?

[​IMG]

18. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Well-Known Member

Those are exactly what CMH has.

19. Crazy Trucker

Crazy Trucker Clown Math Expert

Well we'll we'll If it isn't dumbo the red shirt clown. I see your enjoying your last few hours on here, after tomorrow you can Google a new forum. :clappy:

20. in a rush

in a rush New Member

IND has had 4 straight trucks for several years. Has had 0 impact on pay.

Purple Hammer likes this.