FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Somewhere someone posted an old magazine cover with a picture of a straight truck and a tractor trailer, one was on an overpass driving over the other and it was taking about the tractor trailer replacing the "bobtail" truck. I think the were CF trucks maybe from the 70's. either way it was cool.

This is your new box truck, we once had a few of these in Char. for about a month, Ac, air ride, 903s had a lot more power than our 250s, I got to drive one twice, huge tires on the single axle could scale same as three.
Atl. driver blew a left drive tire and wrecked, that was the last time we saw the "Moon Buggies"

Not a couple, no. The million dollar question is how many overall.
Who knows? I just can't see them being widespread because they aren't that useful outside of a couple situations. I know the ones at CMH seem like half their work is taking liftgate freight off other trucks. Maybe in certain cities they make sense but I still can't see them being real popular.

Pitt Ohio pays a lower rate for straight trucks. All the driver has to do is look on Google maps it will show them all they need to know. Lol Fed ex ground drivers drive straight trucks every day for a lot less money.

Every LTL that uses the NON CDL trks pay less rate, Fresh direct in The Bronx runs about 75 16-18 ft non CDL box trucks and they pay $14 an hour to do 15-20 stops in the 5 boro's . My nieces fiancé works for Lowes in Florida- non CDL Del driver starts at $12 !!

I musta missed where it said you wouldn't need a CDL, the ones around here have airbrakes.
We're speculating on Frederick Smith''s statement about "Freight" buying significant numbers of 24' trucks. The logical question posed was who might drive them?

I'm not certain we've seen these newest purchases yet. If the above picture is an example, then Class B or C CDL would be required.

Certainly valid points, all of which should be considered. I don't really think we're debating, More like speculating, IMHO.

Much will depend on how significant the numbers, how tight the driver market becomes, and the massive shift in consumer buying habits. All three are on a potential collision course, set to alter the industry as we know it.

Some of the safety concerns you mention may not apply when hiring drivers with experience. Might a 10 year (safe) box truck driver be a safer bet than a new CDL driver?

The non CDL box truck pictured is in service now for Southeastern Truck Lines, a pretty big and respectable outfit. The FXFE trucks shown (so far) appear to be CDL required trucks. Good news, for now..
But where do you find this guy? He probably has a CDL.

And how is the largest return had by paying two straight trucks $17/hr instead of one tractor $26/hr?
Not sure that's an accurate comparison. Why not compare them to a pup unit instead?

While we're waiting on results, let's compare...

A 24' straight truck can theoretically do 85% as much work as a pup. According to Bureau of labor statistics, in the Charlotte, NC area (Just to pick a random location:idunno:), a typical straight truck driver makes/costs only 74% of what a Class A driver makes.

I think you can see where the numbers get quite a bit closer & can work, in terms of profitability. I've not yet compared the cost per unit for each. I suspect you can shed light on that one...

Last edited:
Not sure that's an accurate comparison. Why not compare them to a pup unit instead?

While we're waiting on results, let's compare...

A 24' straight truck can theoretically do 85% as much work as a pup. According to Bureau of labor statistics, in the Charlotte, NC area (Just to pick a random location:idunno:), a typical straight truck driver makes/costs only 74% of what a Class A driver makes.

I think you can see where the numbers get quite a bit closer & can work, in terms of profitability. I've not yet compared the cost per unit for each. I suspect you can shed light on that one...
While you are statistically correct in your figures, it doesn't change the fact that it costs more to replace a 48' because it requires two straight trucks.

What I could see happening (good or not is subjective) is a reduction in the number of tailgate pups in favor of straight trucks because they can (and are, in fact, meant to) do the same job. However, these trucks generally aren't designed for forklifts and the boxes usually only have E-track instead of logistics posts. This would make them ineffective at doing dock deliveries and high skid count shipments, something pups can still do because pups can handle forklifts and have logistics posts for decking if needed.

At the end of the day, there's a reason why this idea isn't already prevalent. A tractor with a trailer of any kind is more versatile than any straight truck, which makes it more cost-effective. There are things straight trucks are better at, tight spaces in particular. FXFC uses theirs for residential and downtown core deliveries where tight spaces and low heights are a factor, but this comes at the cost of the forklifts usually not loading them (I've seen the results of trying this, it can be hard to get the forklift out again without air ride) and thus a loss in efficiency. Speedy uses theirs the same way, and I have never seen a forklift load one of theirs.

My old barn at FXFC actually had the largest number of tailgate 48' trailers of any barn I saw. ETO serviced a lot of businesses located in old strip malls and such where it made more sense not to bump the dock. WTO, by comparison, handled more bulk freight and consolidation, and so had more 53' vans than anyone else. WTO, which serviced downtown Toronto, also had more straight trucks than ETO, including non-CDL ones that ranged from little cabovers to pickup-based cube trucks. These "100-series" straight trucks (the numbering was the one artifact left from Watkins, as for a time we only had one, unit 100) are used for the sole purpose of delivering small shipments to small store fronts or residences.

Now, as I've explained in the past, FXFC is 100% contractor. FedEx doesn't own the trucks. However, when a city bid comes available, they do request what kind of equipment they need and expect the contractor to bring. I heard guys ask if they can sub a tractor and tailgate pups for a straight truck and be told no. But wouldn't you think, in an environment like this, that FedEx would want a fleet of nothing but straight trucks if it really benefited them?

Servicing the customer is how they make their money. This must be done in the cheapest, most efficient way possible. I think there will be some service centers that see several straight trucks, and some that might not see any. It'll depend on the needs of the customers in the area.

When we have had straight truck rentals in the past they loaded them every morning with a forklift otherwise they would have never used them.