ODFL | Single Tires on Dollies

bigbird42368

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi,As some of you know already, Wilson Trucking is going to start pulling doubles.I have pulled them before so it is no big deal to me.The only thing i am wondering about is,they are putting singles on them all.What are the pros and cons of this?Do you men feel safe pulling them?

super singles

hey bird and hey serta i'm very interested on how these super singles are going to react with a blowout myself I hope I don't have to find out myself.bigw-rd:smilies-19296:

So far I have had no blow out or flat with them. Ours are engineered with air equalizers also the tires are rated for many more miles than a 22". Some drivers say they do not track the groves the same and the trailers sway more and prefer not use them in slick conditions. They are much easier to move around by hand set on pindle hook and turn by hand etc.

sparky

/thanks for your reply just trying to get some feed back on the singles. Everyone here at Wilson is scratching our head trying to figure why we are even going there when a lot of companies are leaving doubles.:duh:

different size

Ask somebody in your shop if you need a tire replaced on the road where it coming from.

within 60 miles of a shop they will bring it to us but if not then a fleet service will do it.sounds like 4 hrs of no pay time to me

I pull jiffs with super singles all of the time. The best part of them is the ease of moving one around if you drop and hook a lot.

Here's something to check,be sure the inflator system is turned on. Some of the drivers think it's a good idea to shut the inflator system off. I find a lot of jiffs and trailers with the valve shut which stops air from filling the low tire.

I pull jiffs with super singles all of the time. The best part of them is the ease of moving one around if you drop and hook a lot.

Here's something to check,be sure the inflator system is turned on. Some of the drivers think it's a good idea to shut the inflator system off. I find a lot of jiffs and trailers with the valve shut which stops air from filling the low tire.

Yeah when we OD first got those 780 trailers they swayed really bad if you turned off the air equalizer they did not sway as bad. It still seems to me that they still move around more to me than the older ones. But I never considered turning off the equalizer to the super single jiffs.

thats right the single wheel dollies are easy to push around but if you have a flat tire you can count on at least 5 hours before they find a tire and get to you, we had a driver come out of greensboro and blew a dolly tire about 20 miles from the va line the vendor showed up and then had to drive to greensboro to are shop and get the tire then drive back and fix it,,,,,,,, all i say is have fun, stay away from them if possible,

Hmm, sounds like ill be sweating bullets when those 4 wheelers hover alongside :roll1: I drive like a drunk already j/k

the supers are easy to move but don't work good in snow also acording to word around term there have been 8 trailors fliped since they stated using them word is when tire blows the trailor landing gear hits the pavement causing a role over my opp. supers suck

These super singles are called X-1 and made by Michelin Tires. They are very safe and you are going to see them all the way around soon on all pubs and tractors. They are light weight and less amount of tires to buy. Old Dominion and FedX Freight are using them on the dollies also in the near future you will see the splash front tires..they have a hard rubber lip along the wall of the tire which cuts splash down(not spray)50% than a normal tire. This is good for the industry and the companies that use the X-1 all the way around seem to really like this tire..the one problem which is heavily be worked on his putting them in stock nationwide...hope this helps guys.....oh yea the change over is very very cheap to the companies.....

I've never heard of any trailer flipping because of super single jiffs. I can't say I remember reading many flipped trailers on the accident reports.

Problem with trailers swaying was due to too high of a setting of the inflator regulators. All trailers and dollies with inflators were checked and reset to correct pressure. This was over a year ago that the swaying problem was going on. This is why so many trailers and jiffs have the inflators shut off, some one some where told someone one ti,e to shut the inflator off. Unfortunately with the truck driver rumor thing I guess we will just have to hate what we don't understand

I've never heard of any trailer flipping because of super single jiffs. I can't say I remember reading many flipped trailers on the accident reports.

Problem with trailers swaying was due to too high of a setting of the inflator regulators. All trailers and dollies with inflater's were checked and reset to correct pressure. This was over a year ago that the swaying problem was going on. This is why so many trailers and jiffs have the inflater's shut off, some one some where told someone one ti,e to shut the inflater off. Unfortunately with the truck driver rumor thing I guess we will just have to hate what we don't understand

When those settings were wrong it was a big improvement to turn those valves off on the trailers. Not the super single jiffs. I kept up on it and when I was told that the trailers were being fixed I quit doing it and have few problems now.
The first time I got a new set out of IND and was leaving STL those trailers were all over the place. Other drivers were giving me lots of room and looking at me like it was my fault. I agreed it was dangerous. It was well worth it to turn those damn things off and I even considered deflating the tires. But like I say I do not even think about it now.

When those settings were wrong it was a big improvement to turn those valves off on the trailers. Not the super single jiffs. I kept up on it and when I was told that the trailers were being fixed I quit doing it and have few problems now.
The first time I got a new set out of IND and was leaving STL those trailers were all over the place. Other drivers were giving me lots of room and looking at me like it was my fault. I agreed it was dangerous. It was well worth it to turn those damn things off and I even considered deflating the tires. But like I say I do not even think about it now.

Difference is you got as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story. It was a real carnival ride for a while there until they straightened it out. Unfortunately some didn't get the rest of the story.

I HAVE FOUND WHEN YOU ARE LOADED KINDA HEAVY ON BOTH PUPS I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE 4 TIRES ON THAT JIFF INSTEAD OF 2 TO ME IT RIDES A LITTLE BETTER BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT. I HAVE USED THE SINGLE TIRE JIFFS AND THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD AT ALL I JUST HAVE NOT USED THEM WITH 2 HEAVY TRAILERS YET

:smilie_132: KEVIN

Saturday on my way back from a meet and turn I got a single tire dolly and if i moved the wheel a little bit the rear pup started swaying. also i had 19,000 in the rear