Sleep apnea question.

Discussion in 'Southeastern Freight Lines' started by Iceman, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Iceman

Iceman Super Moderator Staff Member

I heard some SEFL drivers talking the other night about possibly a new sleep apnea policy in place, since we seem to follow somewhat closely to what your corporate office does can anyone enlighten me?

2. sabresfan

sabresfan Active Member

I heard they were testing drivers at a couple terminals. I think it has something to do with the DOT regulations that may come into effect soon.

3. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

With the DOT physical's.If you answer yes to any of the snoring or any of the falling asleep? It is automatic to ground you .To be sent for testing...That is Fed law not company to company.We have had several driver's at my barn for OD.Thought they were doing right by putting yes on the ?'s..Boy that was a mistake..The new thing now I hear is they have started measuring your neck.Size is based with your body structure.They say if you have a big neck you are more prone to sleep apnea.Good Luck!!!

4. Iceman

Iceman Super Moderator Staff Member

They spoke something about if SEFL drivers would volunteer for a test that all expenses would be paid including equipment, everything. This was a limited time offer.

5. varidgerunner

varidgerunner New Member

Iceman, I volunteered while at southeastern and it was all paid for and I wasn't grounded. We parted ways a couple of months later and I had to turn equipment in or buy it for $1000. I am no longer on machine. I will say, I wish I still had it. Even though I am sleeping nights now, I can see a big difference.
    My understnding is they (SEFL) are asking (firmly) drivers to take sleep study, but it is not required. If your DOT docter requires it later, you will be on your own. That is rumor, but from pretty good source. Hope that helps you.

6. xeastend

xeastend Active Member

I am a Pyle driver. Just went thru studies etc.Dr can order you oos now.Its optional. Has to do with neck size and BMI. Think neck is 17 1/2 inches.Dont know BMI.With schedualing and appts,took about 6 weeks before I got a machine. My insurance covered it.Suggest you do it before you are due for your next physical. Unless you want the vacation

7. Chevy silverado

Chevy silverado Member

Averitt checks for that at there physicals. And yea dot reg gonna start checking for that.

8. hammer down

hammer down Member

Help i cant hardly sleep i snore so loud that i wake myself up.!!!

9. JustPaul_1

JustPaul_1 CF, ROADWAY, YRC ????

BMI, Over 30 you will win a sleep study if the FMCSA has its way. Go toFederal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, they will have all the information there. Just use the search.

Have a Good Day & GOD BLESS!!!!

PS. yes the machine will help.

10. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

There are various questionaires offered by various outfits in determining if a person has sleep deprivation.

I took a written test in late '08 for a northern trucking company and was rejected (yet didn't know it till after 5 days and threats of bodily harm to "physicians") for Sleep Apnea as diagnosed simply from answers supplied on the questionaire.

Most popular was:
    Sleep Questionnaire: Epworth Sleepiness Scale

These are variations and require MORE input to basically result in the same findings:
    http://www.memorialhermann.org/uplo...ast/Sleep_Disorders/SleepLabQuestionnaire.pdf
    http://www.unasourcehealth.com/SleepCenter/forms/SleepSurvey.pdf

Also info on this page as of October, 2004--adjust for INFLATION:
    Sleep Study Costs

GOOD LUCK yet DON'T BE HONEST and FORTHRIGHT or you'll possibly be seeking another line of work.