Holland | Slip Seat Rumor?

Milwaukee had several slips changed to laydowns too. Akron and Cleveland I believe.
They have done this a few times in the past and after a couple bids have always changed them back, some one up there will get on the money saving bandwagon over the motels and they will go back to slips until the next guy that comes along wanting to put a feather in his cap will change it all over again!!

The bed bugs have to eat too.
It was not bed bugs, but something ate me up in room 703 Louisville last Wednesday. I think it was a spider of some sort, once in right wrist, four times in right elbow area, twice on back and once inside left elbow. man my right elbow area was red and swollen and hurt and itched. I took a bid for the winter and I really don't know if I will come back out on the open board again. Some of these dump motels and spending fifteen or twenty hours at them are bad enough but the dispatch has just gotten terrible, they break all of the rules and nobody does anything about it. And sitting around at terminals all night has really gone to extremes. Good luck keeping new guys around when they have to put up with all this BS for seventy percent of scale and no pension!

It was not bed bugs, but something ate me up in room 703 Louisville last Wednesday. I think it was a spider of some sort, once in right wrist, four times in right elbow area, twice on back and once inside left elbow. man my right elbow area was red and swollen and hurt and itched. I took a bid for the winter and I really don't know if I will come back out on the open board again. Some of these dump motels and spending fifteen or twenty hours at them are bad enough but the dispatch has just gotten terrible, they break all of the rules and nobody does anything about it. And sitting around at terminals all night has really gone to extremes. Good luck keeping new guys around when they have to put up with all this BS for seventy percent of scale and no pension!
Does anybody file?? I love how drivers bitch about nothing being done about something, but dont file because well, Management might get mad at me if I do.

Does anybody file?? I love how drivers bitch about nothing being done about something, but dont file because well, Management might get mad at me if I do.
Yes, I was actually listening in on two Stewards the other night, one from Joliet and one from Michigan, I don't know which terminal, discussing the problem with open board drivers working velocity centers and the Joliet Steward said that there are five cases pending on Hoffa's desk and they have been there for a long time. He said that Hoffa will not rule on it and because of that BA's are telling Stewards not to even file they are wasting their time. That is just one example, but with leadership just ignoring the problem their is not much a driver can do. All of the games they are playing with two day freight and next day freight and home loads and powering loads and no powers and sitting around all night waiting to see how many loads are coming out of velocity centers so they know where to send guys....well it all makes a bid look pretty good right now! At least that's my humble opinion.

When you do file on hotels not up to standards and they union request inspection they give them the best room to look at. It should be random and multiple room inspections. IMO

Yes, I was actually listening in on two Stewards the other night, one from Joliet and one from Michigan, I don't know which terminal, discussing the problem with open board drivers working velocity centers and the Joliet Steward said that there are five cases pending on Hoffa's desk and they have been there for a long time. He said that Hoffa will not rule on it and because of that BA's are telling Stewards not to even file they are wasting their time. That is just one example, but with leadership just ignoring the problem their is not much a driver can do. All of the games they are playing with two day freight and next day freight and home loads and powering loads and no powers and sitting around all night waiting to see how many loads are coming out of velocity centers so they know where to send guys....well it all makes a bid look pretty good right now! At least that's my humble opinion.
You can file out of classification and the only paperwork on it came from a ruling on agreement between holland and IBT concerning velocity but so far including the one I have and everyone I've spoke to on it doesn't have not union or company signature on it.

You can file out of classification and the only paperwork on it came from a ruling on agreement between holland and IBT concerning velocity but so far including the one I have and everyone I've spoke to on it doesn't have not union or company signature on it.
Maybe in six months! :D

Honest question, wouldn't this be considered a change of operations? If so why wasn't it put up for a vote?
Quick answer......No ! It is simpler to run laydowns at a company that does not have a clue on how to coordinate anything. On slipseats they have to be able to have each man leave at approx the same time from each end.......Holland no longer has any supervisors that can tell time, let alone coordinate (especially between 2 time zones). Everyone should be thankful they are not dispatchers on a one track railroad system !

5 day slip
Better yet is a 2 and a 3 laydown (2 men rotating 3 trips...2 trips) I did that for years and loved it. Of course back then we had real good motels/hotels to stay in and we were on the way back home on 8 to 10 hours max. Very few vias, just straight down and straight back....same tractor. It may be a much different story now....Yellow Freight (YRC) contracts mostly with rat hole motels, pre-Yellow Holland had mostly real nice places to stay.