Yellow | Slow down! Feds want to put limiters on newly manufactured heavy trucks

The proposed ruling sets up yet another fight between owner-operators, which are against the governors, and the organized trucking industry, which is in favor of the speed limiters.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) says it is against the speed limiters for various reasons. OOIDA says it opposes anti-competitive measures such as speed limiters that are falsely promoted as safety initiatives. It says it is against the new rule for three reasons:

According to DOT data, less than 8% of fatal crashes involving trucks are speeding-related, compared to almost 30% for passenger vehicle crashes.

Speed limiters for trucks would result in a significant speed differential between cars and trucks on roads like Interstate highways.

Speed differentials lead to conflicts between cars and trucks, which lead to crashes. Most states have done away with posted speed differentials due to increased accidents with cars and trucks.

InomPVV.jpg

And you ain't puttin' one of them there "governors" on them "shiny wheels"!
engine-mx11.png

Quality Performance, Application Optimized
Powered by Quality
The PACCAR MX-11 superior power platform has been integrated into Peterbilt’s best-in-class vehicles to provide customers maximum power and outstanding fuel efficiency. For optimized performance in virtually any application, the MX-11 has an output of up to 430 horsepower and 1,550 lb.-ft of torque. The combination of a Peterbilt truck and MX Engine offers long-term value through technologically advanced designs with lightweight materials that achieve excellent performance and superior fuel economy. The MX-11 provides longer service intervals, increased uptime, lower operating costs and higher resale value.
:tr10driving03:

It just brings everybody down to a yrc truck's speed.
What's next, The Feds gonna tell us how to wipe our asses?
Now someone will get on here and talk about how great this ideal is. Never realising that once again, We give the Feds a little more power and take away a little more of our rights. Think I'm a nut job? Remember what happens when you give more and more power to the beauecrats and the government!

It just brings everybody down to a yrc truck's speed.
What's next, The Feds gonna tell us how to wipe our asses?
Now someone will get on here and talk about how great this ideal is. Never realising that once again, We give the Feds a little more power and take away a little more of our rights. Think I'm a nut job? Remember what happens when you give more and more power to the beauecrats and the government!
You must not spend much time on the roads lately LV? Trucks out there running 70-80 mph now. Too damn fast. Yes, slow down to yrc speed of 62mph. Will get you there 10 minutes later, maybe a lot more safely.

I always find it interesting that people who can't do our jobs want to tell us how to do them. Think about the traffic jams and accidents this will cause. 70 isnt to fast at all.
Where were all these traffic jams when the speed limit was 55, and no one had cell phones to distract them?

Keep putting up road blocks or chuck holes in any pathway to an industry & people go else ware. Not a lot of 20 year old people jumping the line to become a truck driver. Why would they? Drug screens, 3 weeks away from home, 150.00 a week to live out there on the road, no social life, scab wages with a take home pay each week of 300.00 after expenses & taxes? Fast food pays that much & you get free meals. To many other entry level positions to choose from with fair starting pay & sleep @ home every night. I forgot, DOT inspections, more chances to be pulled over by LE, daily paper work to do after a 12 to 14 hour day, no overtime. If you make 10 bucks an hour in a warehouse work 20 hr of OT that's 100 extra bucks a week that trucking does not offer. Easy choice to make. Looking for long term employment in driving a truck is an option most young people won't make. Oh yea, remember when you have to give the company the first 2 hours @ the dock before your pay kicks in? Someone please tell me about any company paying by the hour that does that. von.

Keep putting up road blocks or chuck holes in any pathway to an industry & people go else ware. Not a lot of 20 year old people jumping the line to become a truck driver. Why would they? Drug screens, 3 weeks away from home, 150.00 a week to live out there on the road, no social life, scab wages with a take home pay each week of 300.00 after expenses & taxes? Fast food pays that much & you get free meals. To many other entry level positions to choose from with fair starting pay & sleep @ home every night. I forgot, DOT inspections, more chances to be pulled over by LE, daily paper work to do after a 12 to 14 hour day, no overtime. If you make 10 bucks an hour in a warehouse work 20 hr of OT that's 100 extra bucks a week that trucking does not offer. Easy choice to make. Looking for long term employment in driving a truck is an option most young people won't make. Oh yea, remember when you have to give the company the first 2 hours @ the dock before your pay kicks in? Someone please tell me about any company paying by the hour that does that. von.
Are you on the right bus Von???

Where were all these traffic jams when the speed limit was 55, and no one had cell phones to distract them?
Cell phones distracting?
Really?
I can remember going up I-84 in full out snowstorm running a non power steering truck with one hand holding a coffee. The other a C.B. mike and shifting gears and non of these damn, Useless, So called "experts" told me I was distracted!
Now I have a Bluetooth headset and it distracts me? Bull :crap:!!!!!!!

Cell phones distracting?
Really?
I can remember going up I-84 in full out snowstorm running a non power steering truck with one hand holding a coffee. The other a C.B. mike and shifting gears and non of these damn, Useless, So called "experts" told me I was distracted!
Now I have a Bluetooth headset and it distracts me? Bull :crap:!!!!!!!
We're you going 70 mph ????

Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Anthony Foxx announced last week that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) want to propose equipping heavy-duty vehicles with devices that limit their speeds on U.S. roadways.

:smilie93c peelout:http://www.logisticsmgmt.com/articl...t_limiters_on_newly_manufactured_heavy_trucks
This is what happens when we fail to drive responibly and kill people in the process, i see the majority of my professional driver peers daily riding 10 feet off the bumper of the car or truck in front of them at 75 mph!!!!

This is what happens when we fail to drive responibly and kill people in the process, i see the majority of my professional driver peers daily riding 10 feet off the bumper of the car or truck in front of them at 75 mph!!!!
Or slam into stopped traffic in a construction zone at those high speeds, and not driving their vehicle responsibly , but doing something else.

You must not spend much time on the roads lately LV? Trucks out there running 70-80 mph now. Too damn fast. Yes, slow down to yrc speed of 62mph. Will get you there 10 minutes later, maybe a lot more safely.
While I will agree with you that someone like me with a peddle run has no reason to go over 55 that dose not hold true for anyone going over the road. Don't misunderstand me, I agree with the ideal of a posted speed limit. But let me try and put it to you this way,
The Pennsylvania Turnpike was originally designed to have a car from the early 1940's run 100 MPH on the strights and 70 MPH om the curves. Now think of the improvements on that Road, They bypassed 3 tunnels, Made the road wider, Smoother, And to some degree a safer highway.
Of course there is MUCH more traffic on it but you tell me if it's a major safety "sin" to go 80 MPH from Carlisle to the Blue Mt tunnel?
Better yet how about the wide open spaces out west? No! Not in the damn Mountians or coming down Donner, But in those areas that at 2 in the morning nobody but a damn radar cop would care less!
once again I look at the reason behind the rule! It has NOTHING to do with safety! It boils down to the ATA having a pissing contest with the OOIDA!
If they wanna fight great! Hell I hope they kill each other! But please leave the rest of us the HELL ALONE!

While I will agree with you that someone like me with a peddle run has no reason to go over 55 that dose not hold true for anyone going over the road. Don't misunderstand me, I agree with the ideal of a posted speed limit. But let me try and put it to you this way,
The Pennsylvania Turnpike was originally designed to have a car from the early 1940's run 100 MPH on the strights and 70 MPH om the curves. Now think of the improvements on that Road, They bypassed 3 tunnels, Made the road wider, Smoother, And to some degree a safer highway.
Of course there is MUCH more traffic on it but you tell me if it's a major safety "sin" to go 80 MPH from Carlisle to the Blue Mt tunnel?
Better yet how about the wide open spaces out west? No! Not in the damn Mountians or coming down Donner, But in those areas that at 2 in the morning nobody but a damn radar cop would care less!
once again I look at the reason behind the rule! It has NOTHING to do with safety! It boils down to the ATA having a pissing contest with the OOIDA!
If they wanna fight great! Hell I hope they kill each other! But please leave the rest of us the HELL ALONE!
Not disputing your post LV, but I cannot imagine traffic on the PA pike at 80mph. See it out here on I-80 in Illinois on the flat ground enough . There have been more bad wrecks out here since they raised the speed limit to 70 in the last few years than I ever remember in the last 40 years. Heard on the radio just a few weeks ago how traffic deaths are up nationwide by over 9 percent involving tractor trailers since speed limits were raised. 70 mph for cars has them doing 80 plus, and trucks doing 75 and some faster yet. Bad things happen fast enough, and at higher speeds takes longer to slow down or stop .

Not disputing your post LV, but I cannot imagine traffic on the PA pike at 80mph. See it out here on I-80 in Illinois on the flat ground enough . There have been more bad wrecks out here since they raised the speed limit to 70 in the last few years than I ever remember in the last 40 years. Heard on the radio just a few weeks ago how traffic deaths are up nationwide by over 9 percent involving tractor trailers since speed limits were raised. 70 mph for cars has them doing 80 plus, and trucks doing 75 and some faster yet. Bad things happen fast enough, and at higher speeds takes longer to slow down or stop .
Your right. There are a whole lot of place that common sence says keep the speed down. No question there. But there plenty of places where it would not be a problem.
My problem with this issue has nothing to do with safety. My problem is how different "Instrests" cook the books as it were to make their point. Thus causing the powers that be (In this case the Feds) to propose rules that are not needed.
Lets see, electronic logs and trucks goverened to 65 mph. What are we short 200,000 driver in this country as it is? Who da hell wants to work like that when your most likely making less than min to start with.
Go on, F___ it up some more! Thank GOD I'm just about done with this :shhit:!!!

UDGENds.jpg

Please read the fine print to the right of the graph.
This estimated study is all well and good or sad however you want to look at it, but how many people were going down the road checking Facebook, Twitter,Instagram, Trucking Boards, etc? Sorry, but I can't help but believe that these so called conveniences have contributed to several of the accidents they are talking about. We have all been out on the road and seen a car swirving like a drunk driver only to get beside them and they are scrolling through there phone. Just saying.